radial deviation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
The wrist roll back slappers I've watched had gross problems long before the wrist roll. Generally standing straight up and effecting a push disconnect like the quickhands cement trowel video I occasionally link with an upper body dominated weak hip rotation swing. They have been start from ground zero remake the swing cases ime. Thankfully I don't see it nearly as much anymore. When showing that static push back example be careful you aren't demonstrating a push point/contact point out in front with arms extended but rather a contact point between the feet.

Oct 25, 2009
Hi Mark Howard

Crystl and I personally taught this drill to Eddie when we where in Modesto doing a clinic in May. Ed organized and ran the clinic and is trying very hard to learn as much as he can, so I feel obligated to help explain.

Gerry picked this drill up off U Tube and when I first tried it I said no. Then I tried it on a student who was a severe back shoulder slapper and it seemed to have its merits. After doing five hand over swings she finished without hitting herself. Most girls I have worked with do not understand extension and have never chopped a tree down or understand what it feels like to power through the ball. Most want to lock out at contact or a power V and we do not teach that! As soon as they feel the bat hit the ball they give up, usually by rolling the wrist over or finishing sharply between the shoulder and neck area. The grip of the top hand is usually the source of most problems in the swing in my opinion however that is another thread. We have them set up as normal and they turn their top hand upside down, back of the hand is facing the hitter with the thumb down. Load and step and we explain we want them to focus solely on the lead elbow pulling the bat (making what we term a good first move) out of the top hand and then direct the knob forward as we are hitting a ball either off the tee or soft toss up the middle. The top hand supports, guides, helps, assist so it is not active and not relevant in my opinion. We want them to finish over their shoulder and usually the first time they attempt it they go too far and allow the wrist to break too soon at or about the shoulder. We want them to grip the bat in the bottom hand where the fingers meet the palm of the hand. Close the hand so the thumb is over the index finger and repeat and you will see them finish without hitting their back ever again. It is a drill to promote extension by isolating the top hand from the swing. At contact the lead elbow is flexed and is not at a power V. However because the top hand is off the bat you can not stop the bat from going forward which is what we want them to feel and do during this drill. The girls in my opinion have a common problem with getting to extension and hand path and the grip in the top hand is a big part of it in my opinion. The hand path device was conceived from this issue and please remember the photo was ONLY for showing the device and was never intended, offered as the ideal swing. It was for Gerry files and I ask him to show it for the device and wished I had not done that because it generated criticism for his daughter when it was to show the device.

The elbow leads flexed, then the knob (inside the ball) and release or unhinge or allow the wrist to let the barrel hit the ball, extensions happens naturally because the top hand has no barring on the outcome as it is not there.

Hope everyone understands better...

Thanks Howard

Isn't this the old drill Charley Lau promotes in his book?

I use it with a slight difference in the top hand. I have the top hand with the palm on top of the bottom hand, the chopping edge of the hand against the bat. This way the top hand gives more strength to the swing.

Really good drill for extension.

R

RayR

I use it with a slight difference in the top hand. I have the top hand with the palm on top of the bottom hand, the chopping edge of the hand against the bat. This way the top hand gives more strength to the swing.

Swinging cross handed can do the same thing. Word is Hank Aaron swung cross handed through the minors before changing over so it can't that bad:)

What it does is forces the front arm to stay up and not roll into contact. It turns the rear arm into a support role as opposed to pushing.

Takes a little getting used because you're used to figuring out contact with a pushing back arm.

R

RayR

I'd still like definitions of extension from those who use the term. Stop this hitter at contact MPEG4 8 of 16, Fastpitch Does she get extension?

Looks like it to me.

Rivera1.JPG
Rivera.JPG

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009

I have two out of three of Lau Sr.'s books and his video with Don Drysdale narrating and I do not remember him demonstrating or doing this drill HOWEVER he emphasized a top hand release for extension. Maybe that is what you were thinking...just an opinion as I may have missed something myself.

Thanks Howard

May 12, 2008
Looks like it to me.

Rivera1.JPG
Rivera.JPG

I would have thought the follow through pic on the right would be extension. If you are happy with the pic on the left at contact, I'm happy. I view the pic on the right as a result, not a teach.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
The wrist roll back slappers I've watched had gross problems long before the wrist roll. Generally standing straight up and effecting a push disconnect like the quickhands cement trowel video I occasionally link with an upper body dominated weak hip rotation swing. They have been start from ground zero remake the swing cases ime. Thankfully I don't see it nearly as much anymore. When showing that static push back example be careful you aren't demonstrating a push point/contact point out in front with arms extended but rather a contact point between the feet.

Mark this is why we teach a sequence....measure off from the plate, bend at the waist soften the knees, get a good two eyed look, slow to load, soft to step and separate at or during toe touch, flex on the front knee and think flowing to the ball like the water...there's more however we want it to become instinctive and not to think.

Working with the LD kids, it has to become a sequence as change is difficult and uncomfortable to them. It has been my privilege and pleasure to learn from one of the greatest hitters who is LD and dyslexic players that I know to have ever played the game of softball...Crystl Bustos. She talks about it openly to the kids at clinics because she reaching out to touch one more kid to help them play the game at the next level.

She has offered me more in sight on how to teach and we always say, see it feel it and fix it...they will get it :D

Thanks for the feed back as I am still learning myself.

Howard

May 12, 2008
Mark this is why we teach a sequence....measure off from the plate, bend at the waist soften the knees, get a good two eyed look, slow to load, soft to step and separate at or during toe touch, flex on the front knee and think flowing to the ball like the water...there's more however we want it to become instinctive and not to think.

Working with the LD kids, it has to become a sequence as change is difficult and uncomfortable to them. It has been my privilege and pleasure to learn from one of the greatest hitters who is LD and dyslexic players that I know to have ever played the game of softball...Crystl Bustos. She talks about it openly to the kids at clinics because she reaching out to touch one more kid to help them play the game at the next level.

She has offered me more in sight on how to teach and we always say, see it feel it and fix it...they will get it :D

Howard

I think I hear you saying you would go back to the foundations and build from there as well? Course I'd have to see you teach but I don't see a problem with any of the above as I would interpret it. I wouldn't mind seeing separation/forward by turning/hips rotating into foot plant with the shoulders not, happening before toe touch but you have to walk before you can run. More effective and efficient today than yesterday but not as good as we will be tomorrow. :)

May 7, 2008
DFW

Howard

Without a doubt. I have 3 LD students and all of them hate change.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole