controversy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
This is a great discussion. I'm an exercise ball dad (much better than a bucket), and trying my best to learn about pitching. First it was to help my own kid between her lessons, but then I realized just how much our county from LL to HS is lacking in pitching. Needless to say, our programs have been sub .500 for several years. Pitching has to start young if possible and be tended like a garden. It's impossible to get out if the bottom half of the league/district without solid pitching, and because it requires money and additional time, it's neglected in economically depressed areas. My daughter started playing at 11 and decided to pitch at 12, and it's just her (14) and a girl a year younger that can consistently get the ball over the plate, including the high school pitchers.

When this really sunk in for me several months ago, I decided I would learn as much as I could and start helping kids from LL to HS for free if they can't take lessons for whatever reason. I was the closest thing to a pitching coach we had around here anyway, so I'm taking it up a notch because softball will never become a desired sport around here if we don't have a history of winning. Plus I want my two HS players and their friends to have a positive experience for their remaining years.

Did I ever fastpitch? No. But I believe I can learn and teach it, and hopefully eventually train someone else to teach it, and get that legacy going so I can go enjoy watching games long after my girls and current players graduate. Not every area has the luxury of former pitchers who are willing and able to teach it, so us parents sometimes have to leave our comfort zone (just like when I started coaching) to help these kids have an enjoyable and memorable experience.

I appreciate all the advice I've received here!

Sep 7, 2021
My daughter has been pitching with Jason coming up on 2 years in august. I think one of his best abilities as a coach is how well he can break down pitching into a much simpler task for his students. He is excellent at explaining pitching mechanics, and how actions cause reactions, but in a way that is easy for the girls to understand. I also noticed fairly quickly that we never did the same drills over and over. It was always geared individually toward each girl and what they were needing to work on. That was a huge welcomed change. He’s told us numerous times that pitching shouldn’t be that hard, but coaches are making it that way. Lastly, his stance on non pitchers coaching has probably changed some. The coach in Illinois wasn’t a pitcher, but he is learning how to pitch. I’ve gone back and forth on if I should learn to pitch also, but having 4 kids under 11 is already enough work for me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee