controversy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2008
Hey how is everyone here? How you're all well! To be REALLY CLEAR. All of the posts that I've ever made here on I/R talk about the correct way to throw a ball underhand, and how to teach coaches to teach the underhand throw correctly. That's it. No one will ever convince me that ALL OR EVEN MOST PITCHING STUDENTS will come by the correct way to throw a ball underhand "naturally". Because throwing a ball underhand it NOT NATURAL. Which means that anyone who doesn't get it "naturally" is left flailing in mediocrity. My argument for LEARNING TO TEACH I/R is evident all over the US and beyond with pitching students who have been either taught the wrong way by coaches who have NO IDEA what they are teaching, or, in the case of successful pitchers who become pitching coaches, have NO IDEA how they throw as well as they do "naturally". I believe this subject has 1000% changed the pitching world for the better, and helped 1000's of pitchers and pitching coaches around the globe at this point. You have no idea how many people have "egoless coaches" from grade school to the college level have reached out for discussion on the subject. And I don't use the phrase "egoless" lightly......

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Still on my journey thanks to you, John. Now I've a granddaughter and looking forward to her time with the game. Once again, Many, many, thanks!
Hey how is everyone here? How you're all well! To be REALLY CLEAR. All of the posts that I've ever made here on I/R talk about the correct way to throw a ball underhand, and how to teach coaches to teach the underhand throw correctly. That's it. No one will ever convince me that ALL OR EVEN MOST PITCHING STUDENTS will come by the correct way to throw a ball underhand "naturally". Because throwing a ball underhand it NOT NATURAL. Which means that anyone who doesn't not get it "naturally" is left flailing in mediocrity. My argument for LEARNING TO TEACH I/R is evident all over the US and beyond with pitching students who have been either taught the wrong way by coaches who have NO IDEA what they are teaching, or, in the case of successful pitchers who become pitching coaches, have NO IDEA how they throw as well as they do "naturally". I believe this subject has 1000% changed the pitching world for the better, and helped 1000's of pitchers and pitching coaches around the globe at this point. You have no idea how many people have "egoless coaches" from grade school to the college level have reached out for discussion on the subject. And I don't use the phrase "egoless" lightly......

Aug 21, 2008
Ok, full disclosure: I really am surprised that so many have not exploded by this! So many here live and die by "IR", the "absolute need" to have brush interference, and a few of the smaller things that I really thought would set some people off. These days we have to say " would "trigger" someone, lol.

Full disclosure pt. 2: I've known Jason Iuli-Kinsey for 25-30 years. He was a good pitcher and did pitch for some ok teams from Utah to Illinois. But it's not exactly a secret that he believes in the need to have been a pitcher to be a PC. I'm not sure he thinks all pitchers automatically make great coaches but, he's voiced his opinion via social media before about pitching coaches who haven't pitched before. I was curious to know how many on here had heard of him before, primarily for this reason and his belief about needing to have been a pitcher to be a PC. Regardless of that philosophy, he's really building himself a brand with his company Powerhouse Mechanics. He seems to be traveling around and putting flags up all over the country, similar to Mr. Tincher. I have no idea what all or anything special Jason teaches, but with his popularity rising nationwide I suspect he'll be a name we hear going forward.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
\But it's not exactly a secret that he believes in the need to have been a pitcher to be a PC. I'm not sure he thinks all pitchers automatically make great coaches but, he's voiced his opinion via social media before about pitching coaches who haven't pitched before.
Sounds to me like just another guy trying to transfer money from Daddy's checking account to his.

There is nothing magical about basic softball pitching. IR, FSR and BI can be taught to any reasonably athletic 12U kid. That is more than enough to play the game, "just throw strikes" and have some fun.

If a kid wants to go beyond that, then a PC is almost a necessity. Perfecting the motion, movement pitches and changeups need a good, experienced PC.

May 2, 2018
Central Virginia
I think there are intentional motions that can be taught which lead to a natural IR motion occurring. Good drive mechanics, FSR, posture, ball direction (palm up at 9) can all be intentionally taught mechanics which lead to natural IR.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
What I am saying is, these things are naturally occurring movements within the pitching motion.
If you want to see what pitchers do 'naturally' you need to spend time where it all begins, 8, 10 and 12U rec ball. I started in rec and have kept an eye on the local rec programs for decades and have rerely seen any naturally occurring IR action (2 girls in 20+ years). "Bowling" is what occurs naturally, not IR.

Jan 22, 2011
Sounds to me like just another guy trying to transfer money from Daddy's checking account to his.

There is nothing magical about basic softball pitching. IR, FSR and BI can be taught to any reasonably athletic 12U kid. That is more than enough to play the game, "just throw strikes" and have some fun.

If a kid wants to go beyond that, then a PC is almost a necessity. Perfecting the motion, movement pitches and changeups need a good, experienced PC.

Thanks Sluggers. I don't think I'm yet qualified to work with players past 12u, but I'm starting to teach a few students this summer. I've been studying how to coach pitching since March 2016.

@Billhouse the pitcher daughter of a coached I've coached against several times since 8u and I consider a friend is taking his daughter down to SoCal to work with Jason for close to the last 18 months, at least. So I have looked at his website a couple times.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
perhaps because of the constraint of having to throw strikes…
Last fall I agreed to help a startup 10U team with their pitching, One of the players was the sister of a girl I was working with. At the first practice the coach asked 'who wants to pitch'? Not exactly the situation I was anticipating. Nine of the the thirteen players raised their hand. I took them three at a time, gave each girl a pile of balls and told them to pitch against a nearby tennis court fence from about 10 ft away. With no target and no instruction they all bowled (with an arm circle of course).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802