Umps are human (I guess)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
Just finished 'our' last year in HS SB and ready to be a full time Umpire!

As a student-of-the-game, I've been watching umpires the last couple of seasons (as well as doing weekend TB umpire gigs) to pick up tips/tricks as to how to be the best I can be. Unfortunately, that has left me a little more jaded about the quality of umpires than I otherwise would have been. Some of the pet peeves I've picked up:
- Players wiping out the lines in the box - there are a few girls in our conference that run their foot along the line closest to the plate effectively wiping it out. I know that, eventually, the lines disappear, but in the first or second inning, after playing against them a few times over the years, it is obvious they are erasing the line to their benefit
- Players standing too close to the plate (after the previous point). I have yet to see any umpire ever call/correct this. It's 6 inches from the edge of the plate to the edge of the chalk. My umpiring shoe is 5" wide. It isn't hard to slide my foot along home to get a good estimate of how far the batter should be. I've seen many girls plant their toes 2-3" from the plate with nary a care from any umpire I've ever watched.
- Hit by pitch in the river. Very few girls play the game this way, but there are a few that stand right next to the plate, park their elbow adjacent to the strike zone and wait for the inside pitch to 'earn' that free pass to first.
- Illegal pitches - the only illegal pitch I have ever personally seen called is 'presenting' the ball. Not leaping, replanting, lane violations, or even taking a signal. I've seen one umpire repeatedly warn the pitcher over several innings to simulate a signal, but would not call it.
- Although most girls in HS understand it well, I've seen a few examples of not calling the look back rule
- Not willing to ask their partner. IMO, if a coach comes out and asks if an umpire could ask their partner if they saw anything different (unless they do it a lot), there is no reason that the umpire shouldn't oblige. IMO, pure arrogance to not get a second opinion. If nothing else, asking your partner is respectful to the concerns of the coach and gains respect from both sides of that equation.
- Influence by fans. The vast majority of fans are cool - only cheering for their team. BUT, a couple teams we faced were very flamboyant with their cheers for and against the calls of the umpire. I've seen umpires start a game cool/calm/collected and by the 3rd or 4th inning their strike zone has changed, their body language isn't good, and their ready to just be done with the game. Even in my short umpiring career, I've learned to ignore the fans and assume they are only cheering for their team.
- Some instances of not knowing the rules (batting out of order and lineup card with the wrong jersey number come to mind).

So I'm left with umpires being human. That not only includes actively making mistakes (balls/strikes/out/safe) but passively making mistakes. And, right or wrong, it is just part of the game. I can understand active mistakes - I've done it. But the passive mistakes are frustrating. HS ball is the epitome for most softball players; umpires that don't take it serious or look at it as 'it's just softball' drive me nuts. It's so much easier being half ignorant of what good umpiring is than understanding good technique/calls and watching it not happen. But, I've learned a lot from being involved in the game; patience for other humans being pretty high on the list

Jul 22, 2015
IMO, pure arrogance to not get a second opinion. If nothing else, asking your partner is respectful to the concerns of the coach and gains respect from both sides of that equation.
I would disagree on this point in many instances. If you had all of the elements of the play in front of you with a good angle (typical tag plays and force plays) then what is your partner going to tell you that would change anything? If the coach is arguing that the ball was dropped or that there was something you just didn't see, or you know that your angle was bad, then by all means ask your partner. But, if the coach just thinks that you had it wrong and wants you to get a second opinion, that isn't enough reason to ask your partner. If you get in the habit of doing this coaches will believe that they can bully you. Having conviction in your call isn't the same thing as arrogance.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

As a student-of-the-game, I've been watching umpires the last couple of seasons (as well as doing weekend TB umpire gigs) to pick up tips/tricks as to how to be the best I can be. Unfortunately, that has left me a little more jaded about the quality of umpires than I otherwise would have been. Some of the pet peeves I've picked up:
- Players wiping out the lines in the box - there are a few girls in our conference that run their foot along the line closest to the plate effectively wiping it out. I know that, eventually, the lines disappear, but in the first or second inning, after playing against them a few times over the years, it is obvious they are erasing the line to their benefit
- Players standing too close to the plate (after the previous point). I have yet to see any umpire ever call/correct this. It's 6 inches from the edge of the plate to the edge of the chalk. My umpiring shoe is 5" wide. It isn't hard to slide my foot along home to get a good estimate of how far the batter should be. I've seen many girls plant their toes 2-3" from the plate with nary a care from any umpire I've ever watched.
- Hit by pitch in the river. Very few girls play the game this way, but there are a few that stand right next to the plate, park their elbow adjacent to the strike zone and wait for the inside pitch to 'earn' that free pass to first.
- Illegal pitches - the only illegal pitch I have ever personally seen called is 'presenting' the ball. Not leaping, replanting, lane violations, or even taking a signal. I've seen one umpire repeatedly warn the pitcher over several innings to simulate a signal, but would not call it.
- Although most girls in HS understand it well, I've seen a few examples of not calling the look back rule
- Not willing to ask their partner. IMO, if a coach comes out and asks if an umpire could ask their partner if they saw anything different (unless they do it a lot), there is no reason that the umpire shouldn't oblige. IMO, pure arrogance to not get a second opinion. If nothing else, asking your partner is respectful to the concerns of the coach and gains respect from both sides of that equation.
- Influence by fans. The vast majority of fans are cool - only cheering for their team. BUT, a couple teams we faced were very flamboyant with their cheers for and against the calls of the umpire. I've seen umpires start a game cool/calm/collected and by the 3rd or 4th inning their strike zone has changed, their body language isn't good, and their ready to just be done with the game. Even in my short umpiring career, I've learned to ignore the fans and assume they are only cheering for their team.
- Some instances of not knowing the rules (batting out of order and lineup card with the wrong jersey number come to mind).

So I'm left with umpires being human. That not only includes actively making mistakes (balls/strikes/out/safe) but passively making mistakes. And, right or wrong, it is just part of the game. I can understand active mistakes - I've done it. But the passive mistakes are frustrating. HS ball is the epitome for most softball players; umpires that don't take it serious or look at it as 'it's just softball' drive me nuts. It's so much easier being half ignorant of what good umpiring is than understanding good technique/calls and watching it not happen. But, I've learned a lot from being involved in the game; patience for other humans being pretty high on the list
Good read.

Perhaps to the point of having a job and doing less than what's required, as long as people will still receive a full paycheck for doing less it will continue to happen.

People seem to think there is an Umpire shortage. While I look at the predicament as there are an excessively lot more of teams that created demand.
Now it seems unless an Umpire chooses to hold themselves to a more official standard there will always be work for anybody who wants to umpire even if they deliver less of a performance to their job.

Jun 8, 2016
The discovery described in this thread title is right up there with the development of the Fast Fourier Transform in terms of importance to society..

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Since the rule says batter can just stand in the way (and can turn into pitches) and be awarded first base for getting hit by pitches they otherwise could try to move out of the way of (which benefits the on-base averages) pushing that opportunity to its potential will continue to happen.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I would disagree on this point in many instances. If you had all of the elements of the play in front of you with a good angle (typical tag plays and force plays) then what is your partner going to tell you that would change anything? If the coach is arguing that the ball was dropped or that there was something you just didn't see, or you know that your angle was bad, then by all means ask your partner. But, if the coach just thinks that you had it wrong and wants you to get a second opinion, that isn't enough reason to ask your partner. If you get in the habit of doing this coaches will believe that they can bully you. Having conviction in your call isn't the same thing as arrogance.
Well seeing an Umpire who made the call on a tag play while they were trying to look through the body of the runner or fielder to actually see the tag would warrant getting a second opinion. But not all umpires do...maybe because those are the ones that have X-ray vision 🤷‍♀️

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

Agree with this. As a coach, I have only asked an umpire to ask for help if I saw something specific -- not just "I thought she was safe and you said out." A pulled foot, a swipe tag at first, ball coming loose, etc. The coach needs a reason to question the call other than simple judgment.

The mere act of going out there to just ask them to ask for help because you disagree is pretty disrespectful. It's merely saying "I think you're wrong," which is a lot different than "I think I saw something you may not have been able to see."

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago

I have a question for the umpires on the batters standing too close to the plate (or, I guess, standing anywhere that is out of the box).

Is the proper procedure for an umpire to tell the batter to move before the pitch is thrown? Is this one of those things where you say nothing and apply the penalty after the pitch?

Is it appropriate for the catcher to point out if a batter's toenails are scraping the edge of the plate? In the past, I've instructed catchers to ask if she's too close, but I'm not sure that's the best way to handle it.

As for HBP in the river: I imagine this is pretty difficult to catch, and as long as the batter isn't sticking a leg/elbow out or actually over the plate, it's probably not getting called too often.

May 27, 2022

Specific examples:
- The runner at first, umpire next to 2nd baseman, short pop fly in front of 2nd base where the 2nd baseman caught it/dropped it just as it hit the ground. From my vantage point, the umpire was looking through the defender to see if she caught it or trapped it. A second opinion would have helped.
- Any time the umpire is not at 1st, it is really hard to see if the 1st basemen pulled her foot. I am not saying that every play should be questioned, but if it is 'close', it doesn't hurt to ask the PU if they have anything to add to the call.

Agreed that not all challenges have to be respected, but if it is close at all, it doesn't hurt to ask your partner if they have anything else to add.

Jul 22, 2015
Specific examples:
- The runner at first, umpire next to 2nd baseman, short pop fly in front of 2nd base where the 2nd baseman caught it/dropped it just as it hit the ground. From my vantage point, the umpire was looking through the defender to see if she caught it or trapped it. A second opinion would have helped.
- Any time the umpire is not at 1st, it is really hard to see if the 1st basemen pulled her foot. I am not saying that every play should be questioned, but if it is 'close', it doesn't hurt to ask the PU if they have anything to add to the call.

Agreed that not all challenges have to be respected, but if it is close at all, it doesn't hurt to ask your partner if they have anything else to add.
In the examples you sited it is necessary to go for help, and I always would in those cases. However I don't agree that you should go for help just because it's close (but maybe that's not exactly what you meant).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles