Controversial pitching coach quote

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2018
Texas
Not an expert, just a bucket dad with a sample of one, but when DD made the switch, we played underhanded catch and the natural motion just started happening. The whip from IR wasn't perfect, but the body naturally pulled the arm into the body to start creating IR. The hand naturally turned from pushing the ball down to more of a pull down. I had to tell the DD that we are not pitching, just throw the ball the way that feels natural. Forget the HE finish, just throw the ball into the glove. It created an easy starting point to relearn pitching.

It's amazing what happens when we get out of the way of the natural motions of our body.

Sep 19, 2018
though I suspect most kids are going to try to avoid having their arm hit their body unless you tell them it's a good thing.

My dd is 11. Once she started playing games this summer, we missed 3 straight weeks of lessons. During a game in week 3 she looked really open to me. I thought, "hmmmmm". A couple of days later we do a side session and she is totally monkey butting it. I asked her why and she was able to very clearly articulate that she was getting out of the way so her arm did not touch her body. I calmly told her that her arm was supposed to brush, and then frantically contacted her PC to get back on track with lessons.

Oct 4, 2018
I saw the facebook posts and almost commented, but realize that's just a waste of my time.

What I like about his comment is:

1) It's a bold claim
2) It's great marketing (for himself)
3) It's good to question things

... and in some regards I agree. It's like when I see pitchers warm up with wrist flips/snaps. From day 1 I though those were silly.

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
Funny how all these stirring the pot posts on social media are happening as he is planning on doing clinics and having his style taught around the country. ... funny things is in my area he is teamed up with a a guy who has kids warm up with wrist flicks and talks about forearm fire... but I guess he can look past that and those taught words when the mighty dollar comes and calls his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2013
I get his point that maybe it is more natural and that is what the body wants to do, but when you are either starting from square one and don't know what to focus on, or in my daughters case spent hours and hours learning a bowling motion for 18 months first you need to understand what you are undoing and shooting for.

Aug 21, 2008
Funny how all these stirring the pot posts on social media are happening as he is planning on doing clinics and having his style taught around the country. ... funny things is in my area he is teamed up with a a guy who has kids warm up with wrist flicks and talks about forearm fire... but I guess he can look past that and those taught words when the mighty dollar comes and calls his name.

Curious: He's "teamed up" with a guy who promotes wrist flicks, etc? I wonder if if Jason (Mr. Controversy) knows that. I've known Jason for a long time but, not extremely well. We've been on opposing teams a few times, at the same tournaments, etc. but I am surprised by this claim. What I do know of Jason, I find it hard to believe he's putting money ahead of his beliefs in pitching (allowing wrist flicks to occur for the sake of doing clinics somewhere). That strikes me as odd. But, it is 2020. These are strange times. Maybe I don't know the guy at all and he supports wrist flicks!!

Sep 30, 2013
Northwest, IN
I’m not saying Jason supports or teaches it. But the guy who Jason tagged on FB who I’m guessing is bringing him to the area, teaches wrist flicks and forearm fire. Maybe that’s why he is bringing him in, to gain better knowledge.

If you’re going to make a controversial post about using words like internal rotation and brush, you might want to check see who you’re working with, and what they teach.

Like I said, maybe that’s the whole reason he’s bringing him in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog