radial deviation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Mark/Chris,

You guys understand that it is primarily a lead arm / hand path drill, correct?

The hips haven't moved in the clips. How do you think this drill would look if the lower body was involved?

It's a good drill to promote both arms working together.

Thank you

Straightleg

Oct 12, 2009
You guys understand that it is primarily a lead arm / hand path drill, correct?

Yes, but drills like this always make me nervous.

If you're not careful, you could fix one thing and break another.

How many swings do you come across that have the front arm pinned on the chest because they have slotted the rear elbow and let the front arm / shoulder complex stretch back instead having both arms connected.

Tons.

Chris, I know you have talked about bat drag in the past. You don't think this drill would mitigate it?

It probably would help with it.

Oct 12, 2009
Chris on another note how close is too close for the back elbow to be in the hip area? Does it suffice to say it should clear? If I could slide a piece a paper between the hip area and the elbow would that be good enough?

It's going to vary according to the location of the pitch inside/outside.

Oct 12, 2009
Many girl students cast out and push with the back hand early and this corrects that problem very fast as they can see it, feel it and fix it.

I absolutely agree that pushing with the back hand early is a problem, but I'm not sure this drill is fixing the problem. The fact that the back elbow is so far away from the back hip suggests that she's still pushing too much with the top hand.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
It's going to vary according to the location of the pitch inside/outside.

Chris I was looking for a better answer for a reason...I hear all the time, keep the elbow in closer as a panacea to correct hand path and stay inside the ball, being quicker to the ball, short compact swing. This is why we use the cord and set up down the middle first, outside next and anyone can pull a ball last. They have to adjust the elbow to the angle and plane of the pitch based on where we are positioning the cord or hand path device. What I usually start with is the players who roll the shoulder in too far and the elbows go around the back shoulder instead of rearward and when you ask them why they usually respond my coach wants a short tight compact swing! Then I ask you do not hit many outside pitches do you? No!

The same way with the hand path device, up the middle, outside and inside last. They can see them self in the mirror and gain a mental pitcher as they work the drill.

I work with Evangel University and Coach Jerry Breaux, became creative after some arm twisting and put two mirrors on a box with wheels, so when they are working indoors and when they want to explain something to the players the mirrors are close by the stations or cages. We do clinics up there in Jan. every year and during the clinics we have the mirrors out so we can show the players what we think we see verses what they feel or are doing. I wish we could take the mirrors with us every where. Coach Sue Bowman at IWU has finally installed mirrors and is getting similar results of the light bulb moments from the players, "Oh that is what you mean." Video is great however the mirrors are instantaneous and in my opinion speed up the learning process and makes the practice time more valuable.

Thanks Howard

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I absolutely agree that pushing with the back hand early is a problem, but I'm not sure this drill is fixing the problem. The fact that the back elbow is so far away from the back hip suggests that she's still pushing too much with the top hand.

I appreciate the feedback.

She did not rotate on this demo, because it was slo - mo and I believe on a swing her back arm would be closer when her hips came around.

You cant swing full speed on this visual/ slo mo demo because it takes the instructor out. :D
Some kids I tell them "dont swing"

You show them first how to keep the hands inside the path then they hit a couple off the tee They will feel the difference.

They might push and it will sound different off the bat.Then they pull and the sound is more of a crack and they still casted out some. They are getting closer.
Then they keep there arms alittle closer to the body, with out casting, and a pull and the crack gets louder, then they smile.

Straightleg

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Keep in mind we are using this as a training device. As Howard likes to post , see it and feel it. . We work with many young kids , with parents that have no idea how to help the kid. So when they can see what you are teaching, they catch on quicker. My wife is a teacher and I get feedback on how to teach to young kids . Very few learn from talking to them, you must show them. KISS, works wonders. We have built many teaching/training devices , some work , some don't. We even built a two handled bat, to teach extension, but the hand over drill was a better training tool. So the bottom line is how do you teach and what tool do you use with a 11 year old to help them understand the method you are teaching. We are not working with an elite player!

Bucketpapi

Banned
May 28, 2008
173d1261053242-radial-deviation-hand-path-device-3-12-09-010.jpg

I'm not thrilled with the position of the back elbow at the Point Of Contact.

She looks disconnected.

she's also severely under rotated

R

RayR

Keep in mind we are using this as a training device. As Howard likes to post , see it and feel it. . We work with many young kids , with parents that have no idea how to help the kid. So when they can see what you are teaching, they catch on quicker. My wife is a teacher and I get feedback on how to teach to young kids . Very few learn from talking to them, you must show them. KISS, works wonders. We have built many teaching/training devices , some work , some don't. We even built a two handled bat, to teach extension, but the hand over drill was a better training tool. So the bottom line is how do you teach and what tool do you use with a 11 year old to help them understand the method you are teaching. We are not working with an elite player!

Is the grip with the top hand turned over so the thumbs meet on the bat? I have seen this but dismissed because it was explained to me that it promotes pushing through contact.

Are you saying it is a drill to promote extension after contact to not cut off the swing early?

Thanks,

Ray

May 20, 2008
Extension

Ray,
It has been my experience that this drill helps with extension through the contact point. I have my girls let go of the top hand on contact and extend through with the bottom hand i have seen great results doing this.

Thamks
Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1