radial deviation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Ray,
It has been my experience that this drill helps with extension through the contact point. I have my girls let go of the top hand on contact and extend through with the bottom hand i have seen great results doing this.

Thamks
Ed

Thanks Ed. That makes more sense then pushing through contact. I agree that you need to let go with the top hand otherwise it hurts a bit and alters the front arm path after contact.

May 12, 2008
I appreciate the feedback.

She did not rotate on this demo, because it was slo - mo and I believe on a swing her back arm would be closer when her hips came around.

Straightleg

OK Thanks for the response. I'm hoping on a swing when her hips come around the lead arm is closer to the chest and the contact point is inside the feet or close to it depending on pitch location.

May 12, 2008
Ray,
It has been my experience that this drill helps with extension through the contact point. I have my girls let go of the top hand on contact and extend through with the bottom hand i have seen great results doing this.

Thamks
Ed

When you say extension through the contact point what position do you want the arms and bat in right before and at contact? I'm trying to figure out if you are describing what I would call good late whip/wrist uncocking into contact.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
The hand over drill is used for kids that we call " Back Slappers" that finish the swing with the bat hitting them in the back. We give them a target of where we want the bat head to point to at finish, normally something hanging from the ceiling.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I dont think most of the backslappers do it for any kind of mechanical gain- I think most of them just think they are about the coolest, toughest thing around when they whack themselves across the back. they especially like to do it during warmup swings. maybe they think they intimidating or something.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
When you say extension through the contact point what position do you want the arms and bat in right before and at contact? I'm trying to figure out if you are describing what I would call good late whip/wrist uncocking into contact.

Hi Mark Howard

Crystl and I personally taught this drill to Eddie when we where in Modesto doing a clinic in May. Ed organized and ran the clinic and is trying very hard to learn as much as he can, so I feel obligated to help explain.

Gerry picked this drill up off U Tube and when I first tried it I said no. Then I tried it on a student who was a severe back shoulder slapper and it seemed to have its merits. After doing five hand over swings she finished without hitting herself. Most girls I have worked with do not understand extension and have never chopped a tree down or understand what it feels like to power through the ball. Most want to lock out at contact or a power V and we do not teach that! As soon as they feel the bat hit the ball they give up, usually by rolling the wrist over or finishing sharply between the shoulder and neck area. The grip of the top hand is usually the source of most problems in the swing in my opinion however that is another thread. We have them set up as normal and they turn their top hand upside down, back of the hand is facing the hitter with the thumb down. Load and step and we explain we want them to focus solely on the lead elbow pulling the bat (making what we term a good first move) out of the top hand and then direct the knob forward as we are hitting a ball either off the tee or soft toss up the middle. The top hand supports, guides, helps, assist so it is not active and not relevant in my opinion. We want them to finish over their shoulder and usually the first time they attempt it they go too far and allow the wrist to break too soon at or about the shoulder. We want them to grip the bat in the bottom hand where the fingers meet the palm of the hand. Close the hand so the thumb is over the index finger and repeat and you will see them finish without hitting their back ever again. It is a drill to promote extension by isolating the top hand from the swing. At contact the lead elbow is flexed and is not at a power V. However because the top hand is off the bat you can not stop the bat from going forward which is what we want them to feel and do during this drill. The girls in my opinion have a common problem with getting to extension and hand path and the grip in the top hand is a big part of it in my opinion. The hand path device was conceived from this issue and please remember the photo was ONLY for showing the device and was never intended, offered as the ideal swing. It was for Gerry files and I ask him to show it for the device and wished I had not done that because it generated criticism for his daughter when it was to show the device.

The elbow leads flexed, then the knob (inside the ball) and release or unhinge or allow the wrist to let the barrel hit the ball, extensions happens naturally because the top hand has no barring on the outcome as it is not there.

Hope everyone understands better...

Thanks Howard

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
backslapping is like the golf release problem of "flipping" with breakdown of the lead wrist. Williams pointed out the importance of the back wrist still "unbroken" at impact which goes along with a strong position of the lead wrist whic remains flat or bowed some, not cupping or dorsiflexed.

Learning the impact geometry of the wrists on a heavy bag/impact bag is a good drill.

In GOLF, see:

YouTube - lynnblakegolf's Channel

impact bag:

YouTube - lynnblakegolf's Channel

longer demo:

YouTube - Lynn Blake Golf at The Barclays 2008 - Day 2

May 12, 2008
Howard,

I wasn't trying to figure out the drill. I was interested in the definition of his goal of extension. Thanks for the explanation though. I'm certainly all for abolishing that wristy back slap thing. Your application and constraint work, especially as applied to LD kids is very interesting.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
J C heir. Howards post explains why they hit their back. The early wrist roll as the hit the ball is the cause. Looking at the grip and changing it helps fix this issue.
Try this. Have someone go to contact and stop the bat and as they make contact if they roll the wrists you can push the bat back with you little pinky. Now do the same thing and have them not roll the wrists and see how much stronger they are. Kids want to learn, its all about making them see it and feel it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877