Radial Deviation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
As long as we are talking about anatomy I want to raise the topic of radial deviation of the wrist. I first noticed this in some video that I took of Danielle Henderson. If you look closely you can see it in some pitchers but the video needs to be taken from behind the pitcher. Good radial deviation magnifies IR. Here is a short video showing what it is.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I consider it a no teach and a secondary lagged position as a result of keeping everything loose from the elbow down.

Sep 15, 2015
I consider it a no teach and a secondary lagged position as a result of keeping everything loose from the elbow down.

Does someone have a picture or video of what this looks like in an actual pitch? I’ve never exactly noticed this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Isn't the point of mentioning it to be aware and to maintain wrist flexion? If the wrist is stiff or unable to move freely you're going to have a problem transferring that energy.

BLB

May 19, 2008
I believe more importantly is the opposite type of wrist movement... Ulnar fexion (ulnar deviation) type of wrist movement which occurs when throwing the rise ball. It can quickly turn into a flexion movement as part of a follow-through once the ball has left the side of the pointer (index) finger. At moment of release the palm is facing 3rd base (RHP). If the palm faces the catcher and the ball comes out the side of the index finger, it can easily result in bullet spin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802