radial deviation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
Howard:

"Balance" is one of those words that I think comes across differently to hitters than the way I intend it.

For example, during the stride, ALL of a hitters weight is on the back foot, obviously. Well before contact, MOST (or all) of the weight is on the front foot, as evidenced by the fact that the rear foot is sometimes in the air, sometimes dragging forward like a legal (LOL) pitcher just before release, or at the least, up on the rear toe, ballet-like.

Is that balanced?

Yeah, in the context of hittinmg it is. But NOT what the word means to a hitter when I just drop it on her as a desirable attribute of the swing.

I like your liquid in a bottle analogy, and have already used it with a kid. To good result, and I will use it in the future.

But I do find balance to be a nebulous concept, when people hear the word and apply the typical English useage to it. At the least, when used to describe the swing, it is a description of a fluid, not a static, position.

None of which at all negates your point about the importance of balance, or argues against you teaching it as a foundational tenent. I do, too.

But as with so many other concepts in the hiting world, it is easy to demonstrate in person, and hard to DESCRIBE with a single word. Which of course, highlights the importance of working with kids in person.

Best regards,

Scott

What he said.

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
more recent onfo on bbscout's(DMAC) frame counting opinion:

- A Cordially invite to all HI critiques

Dmac got a lot of things wrong Chris, and a lot of things right. The time my Dad made his biggest mistakes is when he started listening to much to internet experts..... he was at his best teaching what he saw....emulating.

My Dad used frame count from heel plant is kind of like a stop watch or a radar gun. A stop watch can tell you if a base runner is fast, but doesn't necessarily mean hes good at running the bases. A radar gun can tell you how fast a guy throw, not if he can pitch.....frame count is not much different. Dmac was very into frame count for a while, and then got away from it.

There was a time when Dmac used to watch hours of tape..old school style on the VCR ... and practice emulating actions...copying the greats. As an instructor, this was his thing, and he was good at it. He lost his way a little bit in the early 00's ....started listening to others baseball opinions that were not as good as his own. He found his niche again just before he passed away.....

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Howard:

"Balance" is one of those words that I think comes across differently to hitters than the way I intend it.

For example, during the stride, ALL of a hitters weight is on the back foot, obviously. Well before contact, MOST (or all) of the weight is on the front foot, as evidenced by the fact that the rear foot is sometimes in the air, sometimes dragging forward like a legal (LOL) pitcher just before release, or at the least, up on the rear toe, ballet-like.

Is that balanced?

Yeah, in the context of hittinmg it is. But NOT what the word means to a hitter when I just drop it on her as a desirable attribute of the swing.

I like your liquid in a bottle analogy, and have already used it with a kid. To good result, and I will use it in the future.

But I do find balance to be a nebulous concept, when people hear the word and apply the typical English useage to it. At the least, when used to describe the swing, it is a description of a fluid, not a static, position.

None of which at all negates your point about the importance of balance, or argues against you teaching it as a foundational tenent. I do, too.

But as with so many other concepts in the hiting world, it is easy to demonstrate in person, and hard to DESCRIBE with a single word. Which of course, highlights the importance of working with kids in person.

Best regards,

Scott

Scott/ Mark

Where I am going with this...Bend at the waist and then soften the knees in that sequence and then push on the hitters chest and back alternately. Look to see if they rock back and forth on their heels/ toes. If working with the girls they must bend over a little more because of their spine. Their spine is more erect than a males. It is for child bearing purposes and I hear male coaches telling the girls, stand taller, stand taller! When they do they are not balanced. Balance only works one way and you can prove it. Have then soften the knees first and then bend at the waist and you can push them over so be careful. Look carefully at CB's swing and she sinks into a balanced stance which is more difficult. We use a simple knee cock to shift our weight inside our back leg with our knees inside our feet and at toe touch we land on the inside edge of the foot with a flexed knee allowing the weight to transfer, like the water flows. This is especially important at toe touch that we maintain control as our swing sequence begins.

It is a point worth observing because we see the front side opening, our weight going over the front leg and what we see in common is they were never balanced to start with and were not flexed on the front knee at toe touch.

I think balanced is over looked and called posture and balance can only be achieved one way in our opinion. You must bend at the waist and soften the knees and when the hitter feels the difference they seem to do better. Crystl has said many times her shoe is on the ground however when she is balanced she can feel her heel of her foot is off her shoes. We feel this gives the hitter a better foundation to build from.

Thanks Howard

R

RayR

An indicator/check point yes. IME, if you are right at lag, you have a very good chance of being right through contact. After contact, the ball is gone. But if you look bad after contact such as the ball deflecting the bat or some such, you can bet something bad happened before contact that caused it.

It sounds like we agree, but you have a problem with teaching extension with the fear of creating a push in the swing.

This is not my intention.

I think Hitter has explained the reasons for implementing "extension" identification drills rather well.

R

RayR

Duplicate post

Attachments

• BustosComp1.jpg
    BustosComp1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 17
  • MannyComp1.jpg
    MannyComp1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 13

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Scott/ Mark

Balance has been the key point for our kids being able to flow to the ball like the water. Bend at the waist first and soften the knees next in that sequence. Push on their back and chest alternately and they will either remain steady or be rocking back and forth on their heels and toes. We prove to them balance only works one way by then having them soften the knees first and then bend at the waist and push again and be careful as they will loose their balance.

A kinesiologist explain it to me as sequential core loading. Unless you bend at the waist first and then soften the knees next you do not establish what the trainers call hip hing angle. They explained that not getting balanced as described would be like putting a bag of jello half way up a telephone pole.

Male spines are tilted more forward so we can stand taller in the box. Female spines are more erect. This difference is so the female can adjust for the additional weight during pregnancy. The girls MUST be tilted more at the spine than the boys or they are not balanced. The boys can choose such as seeing the difference in Chipper verses Manny at toe touch.

This is why we see the disconnect with the females as the lower half not being used (legs). The flex in the front knee is also a source of power they do not optimize because they do not flex the leg like a male. When we jump our knees fire before we land from the glutes and theirs do not. They must be taught this skill of landing on the balls of their feet. Have a female jump up and they will sound like an elephant when they land. Now bend at the waist and soften the knees and ask them to land on the balls of their feet and there will be less noise. Combine this with less hamstring strength with again is female issue verses male (males quad and hamstring are much more balanced). Now add the wider hip with the knees be under them more which creates what is termed Q angle. If you want to see the difference have them stand tall feet together and take a bat and place the bat head at their knee knob up. Now do the same thing for a male and you will see less angle. This is why male coaches who do understand the differences in why the females must bend at the waist more and get the knees more towards the toes keep telling them to stand taller like we do! They do not realize they are uncoupling, disconnecting not providing a linkage from the ground up!

Having taught boys and girls is where I found the difference and then working with Crystl for the last eight years opened my eyes as to see it, feel it and fix it. She has taught me what she feels and we have come up with different ways when we teach to communicate these feelings. Another example was does the heel of the shoe have to be on the ground when you get balanced? Yes! Because the shoe is on the however the heel of the foot is off the shoe! Take your shoe off and put a piece of paper under the heel, then bend at the waist and soften the knees and you will be able to pull it out. You can visually see if their weight shift will be powerful or less powerful when they load. Just look at the back foot and if you see their toes move up against the top of their shoes you know the weight is on the heels. We do not hit off balance beams or 2 x 4 's! When doing tee work or soft toss, we actually have them take their shoes off (I have astro turf) so they can feel it and I can see it. We do a simple knee cock with the lead foot and shift our weight inside the back leg. To test for it they load and I get in front of them and hold their should and they lift the lead foot. I either am holding their weight or they are leaning backwards or their weight is over the back leg. They never transferred their weight inside their back leg. You can have fun with this one...have the hitter put their left shoulder up against a wall with their feet directly under them. Now role play and say, do you understand the English language? I am making out the starting line up card for today's game and you must game this simple test! Lift up your right leg and hold it in the air. They will not be able to do it as they can not shift their weight as the shoulder will no let you lean so you can not pick up the foot. Tell them don't you want to play today or do you not understand what I am saying. Now explain as you walk away watch my feet, heel, toe and shift the weight and pick up the other foot. Now put them back in front of the mirror, bend at the waist and soften the knees, load and look to see if they swayed and ask then to only pick up their foot enough off the ground to shift their weight forward. Click and you have a light bulb moment.

I would be interested in your thoughts on balance and how to teach it as in my opinion most males do not know or understand the differences and call it posture. If you did not actually see me bend at the waist first and soften the knees next and you saw me in that position, I would look like I was balanced until you tested to see if I was. If the hitter can not feel it they will not perform at their highest potential while doing this ballistic move we call hitting. This is why we teach throwing first, to get them to feel a weight shift. Girls especially never release from the ground with their back foot....they are not balanced to begin with, they do not land on the ball of the lead leg and their nose and chest are not over their toes and the arm does not come across their body to the glove side thigh :D

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Howard:

Is that balanced?

Best regards,

Scott

Balance has been the key point for our kids being able to flow to the ball like the water. Bend at the waist first and soften the knees next in that sequence. Push on their back and chest alternately and they will either remain steady or be rocking back and forth on their heels and toes. We prove to them balance only works one way by then having them soften the knees first and then bend at the waist and push again and be careful as they will loose their balance.

A Kinesiologist explained it to me as sequential core loading. Unless you bend at the waist first and then soften the knees next you do not establish what the trainers call hip hinge angle. They explained that not getting balanced as described would be like putting a bag of jello half way up a telephone pole.

Male spines are tilted more forward so we can stand taller in the box. Female spines are more erect. This difference is so the female can adjust for the additional weight during pregnancy. The girls MUST be tilted more at the spine than the boys or they are not balanced. The boys can choose such as seeing the difference in Chipper verses Manny at toe touch.

This is why we see the disconnect with the females as the lower half not being used (legs). The flex in the front knee is also a source of power they do not optimize because they do not flex the leg like a male. When we jump our knees fire before we land from the glutes and theirs do not. They must be taught this skill of landing on the balls of their feet. Have a female jump up and they will sound like an elephant when they land. Now bend at the waist and soften the knees and ask them to land on the balls of their feet and there will be less noise. Combine this with less hamstring strength with again is female issue verses male (males quad and hamstring are much more balanced). Now add the wider hip with the knees being under them more which creates what is termed Q angle. If you want to see the difference have them stand tall feet together and take a bat and place the bat head at their knee knob up. Now do the same thing for a male and you will see less angle. This is why male coaches who do understand the differences in why the females must bend at the waist more and get the knees more towards the toes keep telling them to stand taller like we do! They do not realize they are uncoupling, disconnecting not providing a linkage from the ground up!

Having taught boys and girls is where I found the difference and then working with Crystl for the last eight years opened my eyes as to see it, feel it and fix it. She has taught me what she feels and we have come up with different ways when we teach to communicate these feelings. Another example was does the heel of the shoe have to be on the ground when you get balanced? Yes! Because the shoe is on the however the heel of the foot is off the shoe! Take your shoe off and put a piece of paper under the heel, then bend at the waist and soften the knees and you will be able to pull it out. You can visually see if their weight shift will be powerful or less powerful when they load. Just look at the back foot and if you see their toes move up against the top of their shoes you know the weight is on the heels. We do not hit off balance beams or 2 x 4’s! When doing tee work or soft toss, we actually have them take their shoes off (I have astro turf) so they can feel it and I can see it. We do a simple knee cock with the lead foot and shift our weight inside the back leg. To test for it they load and I get in front of them and hold their should and they lift the lead foot. I either am holding their weight or they are leaning backwards or their weight is over the back leg. They never transferred their weight inside their back leg. You can have fun with this one...have the hitter put their left shoulder up against a wall with their feet directly under them. Now role play and say, do you understand the English language? I am making out the starting line up card for today's game and you must game this simple test! Lift up your right leg and hold it in the air. They will not be able to do it as they can not shift their weight as the shoulder will no let you lean so you can not pick up the foot. Tell them don't you want to play today or do you not understand what I am saying. Now explain as you walk away watch my feet, heel, toe and shift the weight and pick up the other foot. Now put them back in front of the mirror, bend at the waist and soften the knees, load and look to see if they swayed and ask then to only pick up their foot enough off the ground to shift their weight forward. Click and you have a light bulb moment.

I would be interested in your thoughts on balance and how to teach it. This is why we teach throwing first because the girls do not use their lower body, the legs! They do not flex the knees and allow the weight to shift forward and they do not allow the throwing arm to finish across the body to the glove side thigh and the back leg does not release and come forward. In my opinion if they do not hit well they do not throw very effectively!

Extension is a teach and a feel, other wise they would never slap their back, shoulder or pull up as they hit the ball because they are rolling the wrist mainly from the grip. Another day on this one…

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009

A Kinesiologist explained it to me as sequential core loading. Unless you bend at the waist first and then soften the knees next you do not establish what the trainers call hip hinge angle. They explained that not getting balanced as described would be like putting a bag of jello half way up a telephone pole.

This is why we see the disconnect with the females as the lower half not being used (legs). The flex in the front knee is also a source of power they do not optimize because they do not flex the leg like a male. When we jump our knees fire before we land from the glutes and theirs do not. They must be taught this skill of landing on the balls of their feet. Have a female jump up and they will sound like an elephant when they land. Now bend at the waist and soften the knees and ask them to land on the balls of their feet and there will be less noise. Combine this with less hamstring strength with again is female issue verses male (males quad and hamstring are much more balanced). Now add the wider hip with the knees being under them more which creates what is termed Q angle. If you want to see the difference have them stand tall feet together and take a bat and place the bat head at their knee knob up. Now do the same thing for a male and you will see less angle. This is why male coaches who do understand the differences in why the females must bend at the waist more and get the knees more towards the toes keep telling them to stand taller like we do! They do not realize they are uncoupling, disconnecting not providing a linkage from the ground up!

Having taught boys and girls is where I found the difference and then working with Crystl for the last eight years opened my eyes as to see it, feel it and fix it. She has taught me what she feels and we have come up with different ways when we teach to communicate these feelings. Another example was does the heel of the shoe have to be on the ground when you get balanced? Yes! Because the shoe is on the however the heel of the foot is off the shoe! Take your shoe off and put a piece of paper under the heel, then bend at the waist and soften the knees and you will be able to pull it out. You can visually see if their weight shift will be powerful or less powerful when they load. Just look at the back foot and if you see their toes move up against the top of their shoes you know the weight is on the heels. We do not hit off balance beams or 2 x 4’s! When doing tee work or soft toss, we actually have them take their shoes off (I have astro turf) so they can feel it and I can see it. We do a simple knee cock with the lead foot and shift our weight inside the back leg. To test for it they load and I get in front of them and hold their should and they lift the lead foot. I either am holding their weight or they are leaning backwards or their weight is over the back leg. They never transferred their weight inside their back leg. You can have fun with this one...have the hitter put their left shoulder up against a wall with their feet directly under them. Now role play and say, do you understand the English language? I am making out the starting line up card for today's game and you must game this simple test! Lift up your right leg and hold it in the air. They will not be able to do it as they can not shift their weight as the shoulder will no let you lean so you can not pick up the foot. Tell them don't you want to play today or do you not understand what I am saying. Now explain as you walk away watch my feet, heel, toe and shift the weight and pick up the other foot. Now put them back in front of the mirror, bend at the waist and soften the knees, load and look to see if they swayed and ask then to only pick up their foot enough off the ground to shift their weight forward. Click and you have a light bulb moment.

I would be interested in your thoughts on balance and how to teach it. This is why we teach throwing first because the girls do not use their lower body, the legs! They do not flex the knees and allow the weight to shift forward and they do not allow the throwing arm to finish across the body to the glove side thigh and the back leg does not release and come forward. In my opinion if they do not hit well they do not throw very effectively!

Extension is a teach and a feel, other wise they would never slap their back, shoulder or pull up as they hit the ball because they are rolling the wrist mainly from the grip. Another day on this one…

Thanks Howard

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
Scott and Mark

Thanks Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi