Whos the best?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
I'm searching to find the value of all of this discussion. I read one post about what does the kid prefer? Maybe I dreamed that one. One of my favorite quotes that really relates here is, "Paralysis by Analysis." Anyone from Columbus knows where it originated.

I am very fortunate here that my DD#2 loves her hitting instructor. I will put her resume against anyone in the nation. Anyone. I say find someone that makes a connection to your DD and go with it. Why over think it man?

Good you found a keeper with a real resume. Yeah "who is the best?" is not a constructive question. Maybe that is something constructive that could be put down here to help parents who are either looking for instructors or material to try to use on their own. Can we fill in some info for people who charge?

Epstein, MLB player, material used by thousands

Yeager, PhD, collegiate player, coach, associated with Padres?, worked with very high level players (MLB?)

O'Leary, very clear on bio he actually didn't play much baseball. Mechanics "geek" who has worked with pro players however.

Cervallos, collegiate player, has worked with at least 1 MLB hitter right?

Stone, collegiate player, coach, has consulted for at least 1 MLB hitter right? Loose association with White Sox at one point?

Richard, FFS... not saying they don't have great bios, but didn't see anything on site

Not sure if there are others who are paid instructors, Noontime, Swingbuster... whoever else

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's pretty simple, Left Hook. If you (meaning everyone) don't like HI, don't go to the site. There is lots of hitting information on the magical intarwebz.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I have been to almost every clinic Howard Carrier has put together, since I work them. He has never yelled at a kid in the 12 years I have known him. I have been to Kubota clincs( 3) my dd was at the one at Columbus Ohio and I can tell you he yelled at everyone. She got a kick out of it, since he used Russian. He is just different and the kids were nervous, but he would do anything to help a kid . It's just his method of teaching . Everyone just needs a thick skin when you read Hi. Heck I'm an idoit and just chuckle since he posted it was all about money once about Howard Carrier. He also attacked Boulderdads dd who plays for D1 Louisville, but Tim called him out. You can learn from everyone. I'm not a Mike Epstein fan, but he has some good points. Howard, Don Slaught and Dave Paetkau or three of the best. Interesting that the two best female hitters , Bustos works with Howard and Jen Yee with Dave,so I guess the results kind of speak for themself.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
I guess I have learned a little and apply a little from all of them, and some of you here, but for my money the best is Howard, in my opinion its about the ability to teach, it does not matter how well you can explain or understand mechanics, it matters more what you can get through the head of 10-22 year old young lady or gentleman. Quite siimply what I have learned from him and others close to him has given the ability to teach more then anyone.

Jan 31, 2011
Good you found a keeper with a real resume. Yeah "who is the best?" is not a constructive question. Maybe that is something constructive that could be put down here to help parents who are either looking for instructors or material to try to use on their own. Can we fill in some info for people who charge?

Epstein, MLB player, material used by thousands

Yeager, PhD, collegiate player, coach, associated with Padres?, worked with very high level players (MLB?)

O'Leary, very clear on bio he actually didn't play much baseball. Mechanics "geek" who has worked with pro players however.

Cervallos, collegiate player, has worked with at least 1 MLB hitter right?

Stone, collegiate player, coach, has consulted for at least 1 MLB hitter right? Loose association with White Sox at one point?

Richard, FFS... not saying they don't have great bios, but didn't see anything on site

Not sure if there are others who are paid instructors, Noontime, Swingbuster... whoever else

I hope my post didn't sound bad. My point is, (like you stated) pick someone your DD likes and go with it. We were fortunate enough to get a great lady that DD connects with. Her credentials make it so I don't have to question or second guess what she's teaching. I'm not sure you could ever answer "whose best". I've been to clinics with Patrick Murphy, Jacque Joseph, Stacey Nuveman, Cindy Bristow and others. All awesome. All teach great things.

There is no "cookie cutter" approach in my opinion... I like Ken's comment a long time ago. "How about investing in some weight lifting for your DD".

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
I have been to almost every clinic Howard Carrier has put together, since I work them. He has never yelled at a kid in the 12 years I have known him. I have been to Kubota clincs( 3) my dd was at the one at Columbus Ohio and I can tell you he yelled at everyone. She got a kick out of it, since he used Russian. He is just different and the kids were nervous, but he would do anything to help a kid . It's just his method of teaching . Everyone just needs a thick skin when you read Hi. Heck I'm an idoit and just chuckle since he posted it was all about money once about Howard Carrier. He also attacked Boulderdads dd who plays for D1 Louisville, but Tim called him out. You can learn from everyone. I'm not a Mike Epstein fan, but he has some good points. Howard, Don Slaught and Dave Paetkau or three of the best. Interesting that the two best female hitters , Bustos works with Howard and Jen Yee with Dave,so I guess the results kind of speak for themself.
I thought Howard was retired??? Maybe he tried:)

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Howard is retired in terms of doing clinics. He still gives lessons to only those he selects to work with. Mainly college coaches and a few lucky students. He still fields e mails and phone calls daily.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877