When The Org “Hissy Quits”!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2021
So, where are the trophies? Maybe you can channel the coach and do an expletive laden poem with clues to find them? We could have our own version of Discuss Fastpitch's Forrest Fenn's treasure.
I honestly don't know. Nobody really cared about the small trophies unless they were unusual, so it wouldn't really matter much. I never saw one for that tourney.

Our coach would take the big team trophy and give it to the 'tourney MVP' each weekend. If anyone cared about a trophy that's really the only one they wanted.

I have decided maybe posting it isn't a good idea after all. Once you take out the curse words and identifying information, there really isn't much left to see. Basically, 'I'm the worst person ever in the history of humanity to challenge him on how he runs his tourneys', 'I am just playing for the trophies', 'I'm the reason umpires don't want to ump anymore', 'the next time he sees me, I need to watch my back', 'he would make sure no team my DD played for every played in his tourneys again', 'he was going to throw your trophies in a ditch', blah, blah, blah. You know, the basic stuff you'd expect from a TD you have never met in person even one time up to that point, after asking a very simple question.

By the way, I am none of those things. In my area, my kid has a recognizable name and because of that I have met a lot of people along the way. On tourney weekends, I'm just one of the parents that sits down away from the dramatic parents minding my own business. I know he just wanted to try to corner me into doing something to embarrass myself or my kid. Unfortunately, while he deserved a reply and having his diatribe sent to his bosses to see, I had a feeling nothing would change and I'd run into him again later. For the sake of my kid and keeping her name clean, I did nothing. I never deleted that email though. I still think at some point it will do some good for someone.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2019
I honestly don't know. Nobody really cared about the small trophies unless they were unusual, so it wouldn't really matter much. I never saw one for that tourney.

Our coach would take the big team trophy and give it to the 'tourney MVP' each weekend. If anyone cared about a trophy that's really the only one they wanted.

I have decided maybe posting it isn't a good idea after all. Once you take out the curse words and identifying information, there really isn't much left to see. Basically, 'I'm the worst person ever in the history of humanity to challenge him on how he runs his tourneys', 'I am just playing for the trophies', 'I'm the reason umpires don't want to ump anymore', 'the next time he sees me, I need to watch my back', 'he would make sure no team my DD played for every played in his tourneys again', 'he was going to throw your trophies in a ditch', blah, blah, blah. You know, the basic stuff you'd expect from a TD you have never met in person even one time up to that point, after asking a very simple question.

By the way, I am none of those things. In my area, my kid has a recognizable name and because of that I have met a lot of people along the way. On tourney weekends, I'm just one of the parents that sits down away from the dramatic parents minding my own business. I know he just wanted to try to corner me into doing something to embarrass myself or my kid. Unfortunately, while he deserved a reply and having his diatribe sent to his bosses to see, I had a feeling nothing would change and I'd run into him again later. For the sake of my kid and keeping her name clean, I did nothing. I never deleted that email though. I still think at some point it will do some good for someone.

I wasn't thinking anything negative about you. I was just fooling around with the treasure hunt idea. For the record, my wife doesn't think I'm as funny as I think I am either. :)

Apr 16, 2013

I have decided maybe posting it isn't a good idea ...
Personally, that email would have gone out to every single person I knew and posted on every softball board I could find where any single person knew him/her. I did this years ago on a forum I moderated when someone sent me such a similar message, but also involved threats of physical violence the next time they saw me. It's funny how much begging that person did to get that post taken down, because he realized the entire world just saw who he truly was.

Mar 10, 2020
Personally, that email would have gone out to every single person I knew and posted on every softball board I could find where any single person knew him/her. I did this years ago on a forum I moderated when someone sent me such a similar message, but also involved threats of physical violence the next time they saw me. It's funny how much begging that person did to get that post taken down, because he realized the entire world just saw who he truly was.
If all coaches take the same social shaming route families would get destroyed.

Feb 1, 2021
Oh believe me, I thought about it.

I try to be a good person though and DD had a few good offers at the time from some teams we really respected. I didn't really want my personal issues mucking up my kids future. She was just starting her recruiting journey at that point.

You know, I used to be a hothead too in my youth. I felt I was the alpha dog on all accounts. Typical pain in the rear teen BS honestly. Ugh, looking back at my old self. What a douche I was at times.

Then I got a job as a middle school teacher. Whoa. You learn real quick that you don't make threats you can't or won't back up or they will make you pay in spades. It changed my entire view on being the alpha all the time. I learned whats important pretty quick. I didn't last long as a teacher, but I certainly learned a lot about who i was, or more important, who I didn't want to be.

I certainly didn't want to be like the TD. I grew out of being a douche. He hasn't. I still get generic emails from him that he sends to the coaches about tourneys and stuff. He is just that way all the time. Constant MAJOR call-outs of parents and coaches about every little thing. I was not the first person he accosted and I won't be the last. F--- him.

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Sometimes it is the org head that hissy quits!

Attached below is the email sent out by an org head disbanding a team dd was on last summer.

The email came out DURING the post game meeting after being eliminated from a tournament. The head coach was doing his normal 35 minute bloviating about how upset he was that the players let him down personally and how they Need To WANT IT and WORK HARDER etc. He didn’t know this was coming either, lol. While the meeting was happening, the parents started looking at their phones, murmuring amongst themselves and walking over to get their daughters. I wasn’t there. My wife and daughter didn’t stay to see it but apparently some people were really upset.

This was my daughters last travel ball game. She had played since she was 8. There were no hugs, no handshakes for a great travel ball career, no congratulations, no well wishes, no team pictures. It was just over with a 10 hour drive to get home.

Here is the email. I deleted identifying info.

Last week I announced we would be going to _______________ Nationals.

Since that time, the following has occurred:

- One of the main Pitchers for the team has an arm injury that has put her out indefinitely

- Some Seniors on the team have had Graduation plans come up given some loosening of COVID 19 restrictions and decided to do those instead of softball.

- Some players who are NON Seniors, have taken on a trend of simply picking and choosing when and which events they choose to show up on, and which ones they decide they are going to play in....providing no real explanations for why they are missing. THIS IS OBVIOUSLY VERY IRRESPONSIBLE AND A DETRIMENT TO THE "TEAM" and its ability to play in events. Thats also just not going to work here any longer. Some seniors pulled this BS too during the Summer as well, continually making it difficult. I will be re-evaluating some of these instances that occurred with the Non-Seniors on this team, to assess whether __________ is still a good fit going forward.

Given the facts listed above, Ive made the unfortunate and disappointing decision to END this team's season and disband the team. First time Ive had to do this in my entire time running Organizations.

The Seniors on the Team will not have to pay the final installment of Club Fees obviously.

I will be moving some players from this team too the ____________ Team to supplement that roster, as they are only down to 10 players on their roster. I will be contacting those players tomorrow. They will continue their Summer season with that team.

If you are NOT a Senior, and you do NOT get a phone call from me tomorrow moving you to the _________^^^Team, your Summer Season with __________ is Over as well.

Should you be in that situation, you are welcome to guest play with other teams thru July to fill your gap. Your final Summer Club Fee payment will turn into your Fall Deposit, should you choose to return for the Fall.

To our Seniors on this team, we wish you the BEST OF LUCK IN COLLEGE, AND WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS TO ______________. YOU ALL WERE A VALUED PLAYER FOR THIS CLUB, AND I CANT THANK U ENOUGH. AGAIN, GOOD LUCK TOO ALL OF YOU, WE WILL BE WATCHING YOU IN COLLEGE PLAY BALL FOR SURE. Hopefully you can use this newly found free time to spend with family and get ready for your arrival to College

If you didn’t notice, here’s what he said:

Season is over, your team is disbanded.
I’ll put a few of you on another team.
I‘ll call you if you are on that team.
If you don’t get a call, you aren’t on the team.
If you are a Senior, thanks for paying your dues, adios.

So- dd wasn’t age eligible to play on the team he was taking a few players for. It was just over for her. The reason that there were openings in July on THAT team is the head coach of that team Hissy Quit and took players with him.

It’s all fun and games, people. All fun and games.
What I read is that too many players were not committed to the team and found better things to do, which, when added to the pitcher's injury, made it too difficult to field a team. Did I miss something?

May 29, 2015
@black17 ... Sounds like you and I have similar paths in life with two differences.

I’m just starting that journey as a middle school teacher, but the lessons you learned are very apropos!

The other difference is that I would have posted it. Why people protect individuals like that is beyond me and, in my opinion, are why youth sports continue to lose integrity, whither, and become rancid. Gangrenous tissues and cancers need to be excised, not sheltered.

Feb 1, 2021
Why people protect individuals like that is beyond me and, in my opinion, are why youth sports continue to lose integrity, whither, and become rancid. Gangrenous tissues and cancers need to be excised, not sheltered.
We probably also differ in our faith of other human beings. I understand what you say, and I agree 100%. It unfortunately is pretty idealist to think a TD who in this case is also the state director, would even get his hand slapped in a time where the prevailing thought is "parents are the problem".

Jun 8, 2016
We probably also differ in our faith of other human beings. I understand what you say, and I agree 100%. It unfortunately is pretty idealist to think a TD who in this case is also the state director, would even get his hand slapped in a time where the prevailing thought is "parents are the problem".
My view is parents are the problem and TDs and some coaches and a few kids... :LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom