Whos the best?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I'm not sure if this post is still about who the best coach is but here goes.

By my reckoning, Mr. Carrier has indirectly helped more girls hit well than anyone could imagine.

The people he has taught have helped my dd's immensely, Straightleg, SBFamily and others have been very helpful to me many times and they always seem to give Howard credit when they do it. Keep in mind that I have never met these people, I live several states away and still they helped me out on many occasions with drills and ideas.

Just yesterday, my two dd's attended a Bustos clinic. This woman was a wealth of hitting knowledge and wisdom, even just in brief exchanges there were constant jewels of info about hitting, practice attitude, hard work and respect for coaches and parents... Crystl could not have been more friendly gracious to the girls and parents. I tried not to become some kind of DFP groupie stalker, but I had a chance to talk with her a bit one on one and she was very sharing with info. Every girl that wanted one got an autograph and the chance to have a pic taken with two Gold and One Silver Olympic medal around their necks. It was just an awesome experience for girls from cornfield country to get that kind of opportunity. I intend to write up a review in the future when I have more time.

Crystl mentioned Howard when she talked about coaches who helped her the most. I think it says a lot that Howard can and does help hitters who are at a very high level as well as rec ball players.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm not sure if this post is still about who the best coach is but here goes.

By my reckoning, Mr. Carrier has indirectly helped more girls hit well than anyone could imagine.

The people he has taught have helped my dd's immensely, Straightleg, SBFamily and others have been very helpful to me many times and they always seem to give Howard credit when they do it. Keep in mind that I have never met these people, I live several states away and still they helped me out on many occasions with drills and ideas.

Just yesterday, my two dd's attended a Bustos clinic. This woman was a wealth of hitting knowledge and wisdom, even just in brief exchanges there were constant jewels of info about hitting, practice attitude, hard work and respect for coaches and parents... Crystyl could not have been more friendly gracious to the girls and parents. I tried not to become some kind of DFP groupie stalker, but I had a chance to talk with her a bit one on one and she was very sharing with info. Every girl that wanted one got an autograph and the chance to have a pic taken with two Gold and One Silver Olympic medal around their necks. It was just an awesome experience for girls from cornfield country to get that kind of opportunity. I intend to write up a review in the future when I have more time.

Crystyl mentioned Howard when she talked about coaches who helped her the most. I think it says a lot that Howard can and does help hitters who are at a very high level as well as rec ball players.

Part of the debate/criticism about Bustos is that what she teaches isn't how she actually swings the bat.

Dec 11, 2010
Eric, I totally get that. And I struggle with it a bit because neither of my dd's actually hit the way Crystl teaches even though we do a lot of Howard and Crystl style drills, Matrix, elvis and one hand bats etc.

Yet, I think that the way that they drill and teach puts the girls into a position where the good things fall into place when the movements and positions get sped up. That's the best way I can put it.

I also think their approach works for me the bucket dad because I can not wrap my brain around the jargon on the technical board. No matter how much I read it it's still all Greek to me. I think they have a way of making things simple and practical so 10 year old girls and cavemen like me can understand. After all, this is a simple game, right?

I would add that even if you don't subscribe to her methods, hearing Bustos talk about how she got where she got to and how to defeat pitchers is worth the price of admission. Most sb parents pay some guy who has never played fp to help their dd hit and act like this guy they pay is the first and last word on how to hit. Yet these same parents and coaches dis a hitter/trainer who is so accomplished she can refer to Ueno as being "that pretty good pitcher from Japan"???

I want to hear the trainer/coach/player who has faced the best in the world talk, and let me tell you, EVERYONE was paying attention when she did!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Eric, I totally get that. And I struggle with it a bit because neither of my dd's actually hit the way Crystyl teaches even though we do a lot of Howard and Crystyl style drills and one hand bats etc. and I think most people who have seen dd's play would say they are pretty good hitters.

Yet, I think that the way that they drill and teach puts the girls into a position where the good things fall into place when the movements and positions get sped up. That's the best way I can put it.

I also think their approach works for me the bucket dad because I can not wrap my brain around the jargon on the technical board. No matter how much I read it it's still all Greek to me. I think they have a way of making things simple and practical so 10 year old girls and cavemen like me can understand.

I would add that even if you don't subscribe to her methods, hearing Bustos talk about how she got where she got to and how to defeat pitchers is worth the price of admission. Most sb parents pay some guy who has never played fp to help their dd hit. Yet these same parents and coaches dis a hitter/trainer who is so accomplished she can refer to Ueno as being "that pretty good pitcher from Japan"???

I want to hear the one who has faced the best in the world talk, and let me tell you, EVERYONE was paying attention when she did!

I get what you're saying. There is more to hitting than just swinging the bat. Having the right mental approach is a big piece of the hitting equation.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Sorry, I edited a bit after u quoted me, I took out the part about how much dd's rock since it is pure daddy bragging, lol

Jan 31, 2011
Eric, I totally get that. And I struggle with it a bit because neither of my dd's actually hit the way Crystyl teaches even though we do a lot of Howard and Crystyl style drills, Matrix, elvis and one hand bats etc.

I also think their approach works for me the bucket dad because I can not wrap my brain around the jargon on the technical board. No matter how much I read it it's still all Greek to me. I think they have a way of making things simple and practical so 10 year old girls and cavemen like me can understand. After all, this is a simple game, right?

I would add that even if you don't subscribe to her methods, hearing Bustos talk about how she got where she got to and how to defeat pitchers is worth the price of admission. Most sb parents pay some guy who has never played fp to help their dd hit and act like this guy they pay is the first and last word on how to hit. Yet these same parents and coaches dis a hitter/trainer who is so accomplished she can refer to Ueno as being "that pretty good pitcher from Japan"???

I want to hear the trainer/coach/player who has faced the best in the world talk, and let me tell you, EVERYONE was paying attention when she did!

Exactly! Call me Forest or whatever, but "Best is as Best does"...lol Those are the folks I like to hear. I was fortunate enough to go to a clinic with Stacy Nuveman giving presentations. I could listen to softball people like her all day long. No bush league crap promoted there (I just read a thread by Hal - puke, so I'm a little edgy.)

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Eric, I totally get that. And I struggle with it a bit because neither of my dd's actually hit the way Crystyl teaches even though we do a lot of Howard and Crystyl style drills, Matrix, elvis and one hand bats etc.

You got it!!!
I teach a girl, she hits one over the fence, I tell Howard, all I can say is this shirt works....

The way you talk West, I can tell you met Bustos. Her and Howard make me feel the same way time and time again....

SL

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad