When to tell the coach we are leaving?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2021
Louisiana
thank you , that was my thought exactly but again Ill admit im learning the ins and outs of this tourney ball team stuff on the fly and I am totally leaning towards the new committed and competitive team but what Im concerned with is if I tell him that he will either :
A) tell us he doesnt need us on team or
B) keep us but have little playing time in games (id be ok with vs nothing at all of course)
and in either scenerio even with her weekly private lesson its still not game action in my opinion an is gonna hurt us when we start in August with new team as they will more than like ly finish 25-30th of July crazy how this game became a stressful situation overnight but i appreciate the reply and its the reason I come here and read as much info as I can ,, dont post unless I have a question but I do appreciate this site its my google for softball information !!!! lol oh yea and he threw this nugget in there too $1500 needs to be paid by June 1 for players staying we paid 250 last season and did 3 fund raisers

May 6, 2015
at 8u, the thing you most need to worry about is Dd developing good fundamentals. and it has to be fun, and losing a lot is not fun.

me being me, simply did not respond, and when pressured, simpy tell him DD and family are not quite certain yet what is best path forward for her, for now you are all concentrating on playing out season and helping team, and will evalulate after season.

and you are learning an important lesson early. always be on the lookout for new potential teams. I am not talking about asking for tryouts, or when tryouts are planned, simply keep eyes and ears open for opportunities. compare DD to players in her position on other teams. not saying always be ready to leap, but yes, always have potential options in mind, make contacts (if I had it to do over again, i would honestly at 10u have spent more time talking with parents on other teams than our teams parents). you never know when current situation will go south (and it cannot happen quickly).

Mar 28, 2014
Id like to hear u experienced guys/ladies imput on this situation thats popped up on our little 8u very low C Class 1st year team. My DD and several others were placed on this rec team when we resumed playing in the fall 2020 because our precovid teams didnt have enough coming back to form a team. Supposedly our 0-10 record in rec ball was we were the youngest team we had 4 six yr olds , 4 sevens and 3 eights. The 4 six year old were coaches DD and middle infielders. We have somewhat improved individually with this 1st yr coaching staff as we are up to 11 wins and 37 losses however playing some very weak competition. Well my DD is NOT the best player on the team but shes in top 3-4 as is one of other players that we will include that were approached from other teams to inquire what we were gonna do after Aug 1 and I hadnt planned to leave or stay but our coach had a parent meeting this weekend and said they were having tryouts next Sunday for the fall season and he needed to know by THAT day anyone leaving and anyone staying...welll I def wasnt ready for that since the season doesnt end for 2 more months this is my first year also as a DD Dad so Im asking for advice is this normal because Ive had 2 parents experienced up until they grad HS 4-5 years ago travel ball daughters and they both told me that every year they wud have some turnover on their team but not in May it was after the last game and the coaches did private tryouts if they needed players what give here
sounds like the coach is very inexperienced if they are having Fall tryouts in May. I would look to move if it were me because that level of inexperience generally spells trouble for the future.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yup.

I pretty much quit my job on the day I'm quitting my job. The 2-week notice thing is a relic in many industries.

All depends on the industry. I value the 2-week notice. We have nearly 20 associates on staff (staff of 300) that have left for other jobs because they thought the grass was greener, and then wanted to come back. If they provided 2-week notice and were not a sub par employee, I would welcome them back. No 2-week notice, don't even bother calling me. I won't answer the phone. We have a turnover % of less than 5, so it works for us.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My DD is 11 playing on a 12U team. We have been with the same team for almost 3 years (beginning of 10U to now). The team is mostly all 09 players but over the winter we picked up a few 08's. We are happy with our team and had no plans to leave. The 08 players have brought a lot to the team and we have had some success lately but nothing extraordinary. The coach is now saying that the team is moving up to 14U in August. His reasons being he doesn't want to lose the 08 players who have to move up and the 09s will be playing middle school ball in the spring anyway so it gets them more prepared. Our family has made the decision to not move up. We don't believe DD is ready for 14U and we want her to have her second year of 12U. I don't want to wait until the last minute to tell the coach we are not moving up but I also don't want to cause any friction while we finish out the spring/summer with the team. When is the best time to address this with the coach?

If you can wait until after the last tournament but before tryouts, that would be the best time in my opinion. Every coach and every parent is different. If someone was up front with me, I did not hold it against them. Their DD was still a full member of the team until she wasn't. I know not all coaches are that way and some will immediately bench players they know are leaving. At the same time I know some parents that would string teams along even beyond tryouts and then walk away. In my opinion the best policy is honesty from both sides. Unfortunately that seems harder and harder to find.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
$1500 is for what? We payed $900 for an 18U gold fall season and then again in the summer, but I knew exactly what I was getting for that and dates and tourneys that we were going to play. At 8U you are literally going weekend to weekend and those tourneys shouldn't cost more than $200 plus ump PAP fees. Yes, this coach sounds like he is still learning how to run a team. If you are thinking about going to another team even if you don't, there is doubt. If he asks for a commitment answer, just say let's get through the summer first and then we will give you an answer. You don't know if this coach will come unglued and goes berserk during a tournament and then ghosts the team with all the $$$$. For 8U most tourneys seem to dry up in the middle of July anyway which gives some to evaluate your options and take some vacation time.

During this journey, make sure you pay attention a lot to what is going on around you. Watch the other team's coaches behavior. Watch the parent on those teams too. Don't get distracted by all the shiny uniforms and boom boxes that travel with the team. Watch the kids too. Make friends with other parents. Look in the outfield. How many parents are parked out there? If you are in Oklahoma, you will see @pattar out there. Make sure to say hi to him. After a few years, you will begin to see the same faces every weekend with many wearing different uniforms. Asked them why they left. You can learn a lot just by observing.

May 6, 2015
hey, that 1800 is justified, his 8u hittin kittens need uniforms (two jersey plus "alternate", plus three pairs of pants, all mlti color), matching bags that are bigger than the girls for the parents to carry, matching helmets that are all too big.

Mar 10, 2020
My DD is 11 playing on a 12U team. We have been with the same team for almost 3 years (beginning of 10U to now). The team is mostly all 09 players but over the winter we picked up a few 08's. We are happy with our team and had no plans to leave. The 08 players have brought a lot to the team and we have had some success lately but nothing extraordinary. The coach is now saying that the team is moving up to 14U in August. His reasons being he doesn't want to lose the 08 players who have to move up and the 09s will be playing middle school ball in the spring anyway so it gets them more prepared. Our family has made the decision to not move up. We don't believe DD is ready for 14U and we want her to have her second year of 12U. I don't want to wait until the last minute to tell the coach we are not moving up but I also don't want to cause any friction while we finish out the spring/summer with the team. When is the best time to address this with the coach?
Dont sweat this. Teams aging up. Notify after end of season party.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877