When to tell the coach we are leaving?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Leave as soon as you make the decision that you're going to leave.
When I have employees try to give me a 2 week notice, I always tell them to "go now"
1 foot out the door is not "buying in" and unless you've bought in you're no good to the team

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

assuming the person was not like "giving two weeks, but I really hate you/this place/everyone here", doesn't mean they are still not concientious about their position. maybe they simply have an opportunity they cannot pass up. maybe they are relocating for various reasons (and quite possibly need those two weeks of pay, since kind of hard to get a job if you ar ehonest it is only for two weeks). you would not want them to train new or existing employees on their functions?

OP did not say they did not like the team or HC, in fact seemed they were worried about leaving them in a lurch, just that they are not ready to move up when DD does not have to. should be a pretty amicable parting of ways really.

In fact, the one item possibly in favor of letting him know early, if you are on good terms with HC, they probably will understand, and might even assist in finding new opportunity for DD (we had this happen once, HC offered DD spot on roster, but 3rd on depth chart at primary position, and said they understood if we sought other options, and offered to help us. DD still takes lessons from this coach as well).

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
When I have employees try to give me a 2 week notice, I always tell them to "go now"
1 foot out the door is not "buying in" and unless you've bought in you're no good to the team

While some employees might be like that, Id venture to say that most employees Ive had were the opposite. I have never once had the "one foot out the door" mentality when I gave a notice. I have always given a 2wk notice for non-manager positions and one month for higher level. The last thing I ever wanted to do was burn a bridge with a former employer and believe it or not, most companies should want to do the same.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks! I believe that is what we plan to do. I just didn't want to blind side him at the end of the season but I don't think anything good will come of it by telling him now. We definitely want to finish the season with him and don't want it to be uncomfortable.

He moved the goalposts. He can't reasonably expect that path to be acceptable for everyone. I will also echo everyone else - finish the season, thank him for his time and effort, wish him success, and let him know that you need to make a a change. Don't burn the bridge. You never know if it might make sense in the future for your DD to play with him again.

May 15, 2019
He moved the goalposts. He can't reasonably expect that path to be acceptable for everyone. I will also echo everyone else - finish the season, thank him for his time and effort, wish him success, and let him know that you need to make a a change. Don't burn the bridge. You never know if it might make sense in the future for your DD to play with him again.
Thanks for your response. I feel the same way. We have a good relationship with him right now and I don't want to burn any bridges. I know he will not be happy we are not moving up with the team but hopefully he will understand our position. I'm trying to do what is best for all parties. I don't want to leave him short players but also want to make sure we have a chance to find another team as well. Just an unpleasant position to be in for the moment. Makes me feel better to come here and get the reaffirmation I needed that we are doing it the right way.

Oct 4, 2018

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Yup.

I pretty much quit my job on the day I'm quitting my job. The 2-week notice thing is a relic in many industries.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Say nothing until the end of the season...you could change your mind.

If you've got a good team that you're happy with, strongly consider moving with them to 14U. I understand wanting another year of 12U for development when every step up in age looks like a big leap. Unless your DD is well below the team average in ability and really needs more work at 12U, it's not as big of a jump as you might think.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Unless your DD is well below the team average in ability and really needs more work at 12U, it's not as big of a jump as you might think.
I Agree with this. Unless we are talking upper end 14's. This is the age where many girls will peak out in their growth with others still playing catch up.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I Agree with this. Unless we are talking upper end 14's. This is the age where many girls will peak out in their growth with others still playing catch up.

Right...I didn't think he was talking about the team moving to top-end 14A.

Mar 21, 2021
Louisiana
Id like to hear u experienced guys/ladies imput on this situation thats popped up on our little 8u very low C Class 1st year team. My DD and several others were placed on this rec team when we resumed playing in the fall 2020 because our precovid teams didnt have enough coming back to form a team. Supposedly our 0-10 record in rec ball was we were the youngest team we had 4 six yr olds , 4 sevens and 3 eights. The 4 six year old were coaches DD and middle infielders. We have somewhat improved individually with this 1st yr coaching staff as we are up to 11 wins and 37 losses however playing some very weak competition. Well my DD is NOT the best player on the team but shes in top 3-4 as is one of other players that we will include that were approached from other teams to inquire what we were gonna do after Aug 1 and I hadnt planned to leave or stay but our coach had a parent meeting this weekend and said they were having tryouts next Sunday for the fall season and he needed to know by THAT day anyone leaving and anyone staying...welll I def wasnt ready for that since the season doesnt end for 2 more months this is my first year also as a DD Dad so Im asking for advice is this normal because Ive had 2 parents experienced up until they grad HS 4-5 years ago travel ball daughters and they both told me that every year they wud have some turnover on their team but not in May it was after the last game and the coaches did private tryouts if they needed players what give here

May 6, 2015
Id like to hear u experienced guys/ladies imput on this situation thats popped up on our little 8u very low C Class 1st year team. My DD and several others were placed on this rec team when we resumed playing in the fall 2020 because our precovid teams didnt have enough coming back to form a team. Supposedly our 0-10 record in rec ball was we were the youngest team we had 4 six yr olds , 4 sevens and 3 eights. The 4 six year old were coaches DD and middle infielders. We have somewhat improved individually with this 1st yr coaching staff as we are up to 11 wins and 37 losses however playing some very weak competition. Well my DD is NOT the best player on the team but shes in top 3-4 as is one of other players that we will include that were approached from other teams to inquire what we were gonna do after Aug 1 and I hadnt planned to leave or stay but our coach had a parent meeting this weekend and said they were having tryouts next Sunday for the fall season and he needed to know by THAT day anyone leaving and anyone staying...welll I def wasnt ready for that since the season doesnt end for 2 more months this is my first year also as a DD Dad so Im asking for advice is this normal because Ive had 2 parents experienced up until they grad HS 4-5 years ago travel ball daughters and they both told me that every year they wud have some turnover on their team but not in May it was after the last game and the coaches did private tryouts if they needed players what give here

my opinion, way too early for this Coach to be demanding commitments for this team (8u low C class, basically rec). I would look for new team simply. to me this screams to get out, wanting that early a commitment at 8u. hell you could commit, and she may decide she wants to do something else by August.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877