When to tell the coach we are leaving?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 21, 2021
Louisiana
$1500 for 8U. Oh my lord! No thanks.

$1500 is for what? We payed $900 for an 18U gold fall season and then again in the summer, but I knew exactly what I was getting for that and dates and tourneys that we were going to play. At 8U you are literally going weekend to weekend and those tourneys shouldn't cost more than $200 plus ump PAP fees. Yes, this coach sounds like he is still learning how to run a team. If you are thinking about going to another team even if you don't, there is doubt. If he asks for a commitment answer, just say let's get through the summer first and then we will give you an answer. You don't know if this coach will come unglued and goes berserk during a tournament and then ghosts the team with all the $$$$. For 8U most tourneys seem to dry up in the middle of July anyway which gives some to evaluate your options and take some vacation time.

During this journey, make sure you pay attention a lot to what is going on around you. Watch the other team's coaches behavior. Watch the parent on those teams too. Don't get distracted by all the shiny uniforms and boom boxes that travel with the team. Watch the kids too. Make friends with other parents. Look in the outfield. How many parents are parked out there? If you are in Oklahoma, you will see @pattar out there. Make sure to say hi to him. After a few years, you will begin to see the same faces every weekend with many wearing different uniforms. Asked them why they left. You can learn a lot just by observing.
sounds like the coach is very inexperienced if they are having Fall tryouts in May. I would look to move if it were me because that level of inexperience generally spells trouble for the future.
yep first year coach actually all 4 of them are first yr thank you and everyone here for the great feedback. All of you seem to be saying the exact way I felt from jump, but hearing it from other people too solidifies my way of thinking that we will be moving on, i wont be put on any deadline tho, heck with that

Feb 1, 2021
On the flip side, are they having tryouts? If so, then you can safely wait to say anything. If they are not having tryouts, I'd at least put a bug in his ear to let them know you aren't certain yet if moving up is the right decision. Not sure when your season ends, but its seems early to be making these decisions. At least wait to see if your DD blossoms in the 'next big thing' over the next few months. You never know.

I haven't read all the responses yet, but if you have already mentioned this to any of the other parents, chances are good the coach is already aware.

Mar 21, 2021
Louisiana
On the flip side, are they having tryouts? If so, then you can safely wait to say anything. If they are not having tryouts, I'd at least put a bug in his ear to let them know you aren't certain yet if moving up is the right decision. Not sure when your season ends, but its seems early to be making these decisions. At least wait to see if your DD blossoms in the 'next big thing' over the next few months. You never know.

I haven't read all the responses yet, but if you have already mentioned this to any of the other parents, chances are good the coach is already aware.
yes ,, tryouts are this Sunday May 16th thats why he wants us to commit to staying or going by this Sunday hes also having tryouts for new 10u team and the 2 hes picked up for that team already were from rec league 8u team last month and they been batting in tournaments on 8u team which i think is a crock of sh$% why take ABs away from your 8u team thats been playing since last August together??

Oct 3, 2019
Leave as soon as you make the decision that you're going to leave.
When I have employees try to give me a 2 week notice, I always tell them to "go now"
1 foot out the door is not "buying in" and unless you've bought in you're no good to the team

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Ouch!

May 6, 2015
tryouts in May? commitments for 2022 in May 2021

Run, do not walk, do not pass go, do not spend $1500, but run. finish out commitment for spring season.

if he really pushes, tell him yes, but sign nothing, pay nothing. if he demands it, lie, tell him your family has decided it is just out of budget (this might ease any repercussions for rest of this season).

find another team.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Tryouts~
Heres a nifty sentence,
"We would like to see what the team looks like and know what our daughters role on the team will be befor making a commitment."

if the coach is holding tryouts for the players he has already coached, then he is deciding to make decisions later for himself.
*Check out what those decisions are before you decide to include yourself, or not.

Feb 1, 2021
yes ,, tryouts are this Sunday May 16th thats why he wants us to commit to staying or going by this Sunday hes also having tryouts for new 10u team and the 2 hes picked up for that team already were from rec league 8u team last month and they been batting in tournaments on 8u team which i think is a crock of sh$% why take ABs away from your 8u team thats been playing since last August together??

I guess I missed somewhere when we talked about the age level. At the age level you are, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Be as open as you can be even if it means ruffling a feather or two. Its for the best most of the time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877