Skills video....question for DFP community

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
editing tools

I have heard different opinions on theme music, but I am pretty sure we are going to use live audio - hence everyone having to be quite during recording. I should have made sure the catcher was using a mitt that gives extra "pop". I have used several gloves during bucket sessions with my DD and some gloves have better "pop" than others - regardless of pitch speed.

With the editing tools available today, additional sound effects should be easy to add! Along those lines, I suggest you conclude her skills video with an explosion and the catcher vanishing in a cloud of smoke.
I wish you could edit in feet because today I chopped them off while video taping:(

Dec 20, 2012
I have heard different opinions on theme music, but I am pretty sure we are going to use live audio - hence everyone having to be quite during recording. I should have made sure the catcher was using a mitt that gives extra "pop". I have used several gloves during bucket sessions with my DD and some gloves have better "pop" than others - regardless of pitch speed.

I know every coach has their own opinion on the music. One asst coach said it was nice to hear some tunes while sorting thru all the videos. But I'm sure Coach Miller at Virginia has completely different taste than the Weekly's. So it could be hit and miss. I think Aborted Fetus would appeal to most, go with them! lol

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I got the skills video back this morning. I am happy with the results, but it is LONG! I had to laugh when I saw that it was over 11 minutes long when Cannonball got hammered for his DD's being 9 minutes. My DD has good control of a lot of pitches and the videographer said he wanted to show the pitches "as thrown", so the pitching portion alone is over 8 minutes. I have sent some PM's with the video link, but it takes forever since DFP only allows one PM per minute, so here is the link for anyone interested!

Katherine Huey Softball Skills Video - YouTube

Jun 24, 2013
I did not ask to see the original because even though I would have enjoyed watching it I know nothing about it.

The picture is great and your DD looks great!

(Please see comment about knowing nothing about it)

If her academics are acceptable I would put them on the first page were you have her name and year stuff.

I would really try to cut down the time by showing less of each pitch at all the different angles. Maybe you can have 2 the brief version and this version. Maybe if they actually open it up and watch it they want the whole 11 minutes.

(It is hard to tell in the video but if she is tall I would also mention her height on the title page, if she is average height or a little small I would not)

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If her academics are acceptable I would put them on the first page were you have her name and year stuff.

I would really try to cut down the time by showing less of each pitch at all the different angles. Maybe you can have 2 the brief version and this version. Maybe if they actually open it up and watch it they want the whole 11 minutes.

(It is hard to tell in the video but if she is tall I would also mention her height on the title page, if she is average height or a little small I would not)

Thanks for the feedback. I may see if the videographer can cut it down, but if a college coach is really interested I am hoping they will watch past the 4 minute mark!

DD is 5'10", so she is tall, but is not 6'+

DD is a 2017, so she will not have a GPA until the end of May when she finishes her freshman year.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JAD, I enjoyed watching the video. Yes, it is a little long but not too bad in my opinion. Of course I get a kick out of watching other member's dds so keep that in mind. I was impressed with a lot of stuff in the video not the least of which was some of her hitting.

Since your dd is a 2017, there is a problem in that she does not have her ACT scores, class rank, GPA. However, in a "recruitment brochure" you can easily address that issue. That is the same with height etc. that you might want to note to college coaches. If you need to see an example, let me know and I'll get my dd's to you. I got that template from SSarge and so, know that the format is typical for what most colleges expect.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
It is clear how hard your DD has worked - you both have a lot to be proud of!! ( I am certainly not qualified to give technical feedback but she looks good to me!)

I'd put the height on there- 5'10 is nothing to sneeze at! One of Stanford's best pitchers a few years back was 5'9.

Is she taking biology this year? My DD took biology freshman year and I wish we would have had her take the SATii in biology that May ( I think they are May 3- a Saturday) this year. The PLAN test is offered in December and is like a pre-ACT. We've used DD's PLAN results as a preliminary measure. (She is a sophomore. She'll take the ACT with writing this December).

It sounds like your school calculates GPA on year end grades? DD's uses semester grades, which is good and bad. If you want to send the video now, with the summer schedule, go ahead and calculate a number based on fall semester. ( the student handbook should say how they weight honors classes- it's different for different schools). She can just mention it in her emails and on her player profile so you don't have to keep editing the video.

Anyway sorry for rambling about academics - you may already know all of this, but man, most of it was news to me when I started diving into it!

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I loved the video, but I don't have to go through them by the 10s or 100s. I'd suggest editing the basic skills video down to 5-6 minutes if you intend to use it as the initial introduction to your DD. What's cut can be packaged into a pitching-specific video that you can provide a link to for those interested in seeing more of her pitching.

In no particular order, here are other thoughts/reactions/suggestions worth at least 0.02 or less

Based on the order and content, it seems that she's being marketed primarily a pitcher - don't know if that's your intent! Some will not have the patience to wait until 9 or so minutes for hitting and may conclude that she's not a serious hitter. I don't believe that to be the case and would like to see another minutee of so of hitting. I'd reorder to have hitting before bunting. Unless she's a dead pull hitter, I would like to see a couple swings where she goes with the pitch to RF and CF. I'd limit the basic video to pitching side and back views and limit it to 2 reps for her 3-4 best pitches - put the cut stuff in the pitching package. I couldn't really tell, but if that knuckleball is spinning/and not dancing, I think I would cut it. Fielding - not much shown at all, which could lead one to the conclusion that she isn't a college ready 1B. I can't tell if she has any quickness, lateral range, or a backhand. I'd like to see her receive several throws at the bag to see how refined her footwork, glove, and stretching skills are. I'd add Height and Bats R and Throws R to the opening bio summary. I'd also add GPA, Class Rank, and SAT/ACT scores (even it its just TBD) if they are above average. Similarly, add anything else that she does well/well above average or shows unusual initiative/leadership i.e., 20 yd time, HTH time, overhand throw, batspeed, owns her own business, invented the internet, saves puppies, walks on water.

My prediction is that she'll play and do well in college! And that you are both in for an exciting couple of years!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45