Skills Video_ What are people doing for this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 3, 2012
I need to make a skills video for my daughter. Would I be better off hiring somebody or should I do it on my own. Just curious what route to take. I've been putting this off too long and need to get moving on this.

Here's what Im thinking:
1. Maybe hire a recruiting site (captain U or whatever). But then Im looking at a over a grand for the service. Also would get additional recruiting services. But is it worth it? I've heard pros and cons.

2. Hire some local professional guy for $200- to $400.

3. Do it myself: I got an old cameral I haven't used in a couple years. Could I use my smart phone to film it? What software do I use to edit. Really never done it, but im not super tech guy. But I might give it a try.

So what did you do?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I need to make a skills video for my daughter. Would I be better off hiring somebody or should I do it on my own. Just curious what route to take. I've been putting this off too long and need to get moving on this.

Here's what Im thinking:
1. Maybe hire a recruiting site (captain U or whatever). But then Im looking at a over a grand for the service. Also would get additional recruiting services. But is it worth it? I've heard pros and cons.

2. Hire some local professional guy for $200- to $400.

3. Do it myself: I got an old cameral I haven't used in a couple years. Could I use my smart phone to film it? What software do I use to edit. Really never done it, but im not super tech guy. But I might give it a try.

So what did you do?

I do this as a side gig. Things to think about; good editing skills, if you don't have a good program or don't really know how to edit it may be best to hire someone. Having a good camera or 2. I have 2 cameras rolling the same time to get different perspectives, otherwise you have to film again and again.

I personally wouldn't use a recruiting site to make your video. You can upload a completed video to them though. I have found this is the best route.

Here is my YouTube Channel to get some ideas https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo...4M7SX7tCNjp2QT2XKDTMQHA3n2bgnGQ9arUa6Fg4-2N3Q

Wish you all the luck

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Pitching is easy... Here's how I did it when I started out....

STK_4pitches.gif

Will get their attention... plays over and over... whether they like it or not :cool:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2016
A good cell phone video that shows swing, technique, basic stuff etc is fine...no more than 3 mins and PLEASE none of the horrible background music...and some of the ones with special effects are laughable...

Upload it youtube...easy peasy...

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I tried to watch one the other day to get some ideas and it was five minutes long and that felt INTERMINABLE. She did about 10 of everything fielding and hitting wise, and it felt very repetitive.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There are a bunch of threads on here about how to do it - search and you shall find.....

That said:
1) You have 30 seconds to grab attention...
2) So marketable skills first. If she is a PITCHER first, then BEST PITCH first. Don't throw fastballs first if her best pitch is a drop. If her thing is running speed, run her round the bases to show it. Don't know how many videos I have seen of pitchers who have put hitting first on the video, or catchers who show hitting or even infield play before showing their catching. Most coaches will never beyond what is shown first so it better be good
3) Contact details at the beginning and the end - and if you have the editing tool as a subtitle on the video
4) Contact details means - Name, HS Graduation year, primary position/secondary, travel team name, high school, LOCATION (i.e. Town, State), email, cell phone
5) Edit out BS and down time. So no 5 seconds between pitches or hits. Cut it all out. Don't leave in bad stuff - if you get a hit that pops up - don't include it.
6) If you are going to put in game footage, make it sync up with the skill. As a coach I liked to see the skill executed live (many don't - so keep it short)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06