Skills video....question for DFP community

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I would like to see it too- same reasons as above but I'm a few years away from that and I want to start preparing (I work slow ;) ).

Dec 19, 2012
I would like to see it also.

Putting the video on YouTube and making it public will get your dd the most exposure. You do have the ability to turn off comments so that is a viable option as well. If you're proud of your dd and the skills video I say post it for the world to see. When I posted my dd's first video on YouTube, I received a ton of emails from colleges at all levels. It was not a skills video. It was a 9 or 10 minute video I edited from three games over one day, and it was nothing more than a test for me to make sure I was tech-savvy enough to do it so I could post a future skills video. Due to the interest she received from colleges she was interested in attending via camps and clinics, I never had to create a skills video but I was ready to create one if I had to.

Oct 10, 2011
I would like to see it also.

Putting the video on YouTube and making it public will get your dd the most exposure. You do have the ability to turn off comments so that is a viable option as well. If you're proud of your dd and the skills video I say post it for the world to see. When I posted my dd's first video on YouTube, I received a ton of emails from colleges at all levels. It was not a skills video. It was a 9 or 10 minute video I edited from three games over one day, and it was nothing more than a test for me to make sure I was tech-savvy enough to do it so I could post a future skills video. Due to the interest she received from colleges she was interested in attending via camps and clinics, I never had to create a skills video but I was ready to create one if I had to.
I would definitely do that after you are sure that it's what you want the world to see.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are negatives and positives to posting videos. My dd's video was copied, posted on some other websites and her skills have been attacked ever since. One person mentioned that she was, "the epitome of a non athlete trying to scam college coaches." As many of you know, she is the poster child on another website for attacks. Every now and then, a member of one of those websites sends me a pm letting me know that her video is up again and being attacked. Many on that website, including some who participate here, have made many comments that she will never be successful as a hitter. So, JAD, if you have enemies then they will rip your dd apart.

The positive side is that you/your dd can contact college coaches with the URL to the video on YouTube and they can take a glance with little trouble doing so. College coaches like that. One SEC coach who watched my dd in a practice/recruitment showcase stated that my dd could not play at his school. However, he wanted the URL of her video because he knew several coaches looking for a player like her. Sure enough, dd's TB coach started getting contacts from coaches who had never seen her play. Offers came along with those contacts. All of that off of this "terrible video" that so many "experts" attacked her about. For the sake of honesty, I should mention that the SEC Coach is a friend and so, that had something to do with his offer of help as well. I don't want to mislead anyone.

The main problem with my dd's video is that it is too long. At the time, she was being recruited at several positions. So, we tried to put something in there for every coach recruiting her. We should have used some common sense and cut it some. I'm sure many of you can look at her video and think of ways to improve it and thus get good ideas for your dd's video. Oh, BB had just turned 16 when this video was made. Since she can't be attacked anymore than she already has been, here is her video:

Brianna Butler softball skills Video - YouTube

Oct 10, 2011
Wow, Cannonball...you made a full length movie there! JK:)
Honestly though I thought it was pretty darn good compared to the dozens of videos I've seen lately on YouTube. Im definitely not posting DD's. I think my skins too thin.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
iMlearning, we didn't roll the credits on the end! We do offer popcorn, drinks (of your choice) etc. when viewing. Just call the 800 number and we deliver.

There are some things I would do over. However, there are a lot of good things as well. For example, when she was doing a skill, her coach wanted to film it without breaks. So, that is why you see the dead time in between each pitch, swing, and ball fielded. I like the part of her pitching video where she was given 2 and then 3 pitches to throw in sequence. Every skill was done in one take and so, I'm proud of her for that. One pitcher had to be videoed over 3 days because she could not get the sequence locations right.

BTW, the address information at the beginning is no longer accurate. We built a new house. So, if any of you enemy types want to come and do some TPing etc. we don't live there anymore. If you come to our new house, my friends, Smith, Wesson, and their German cousin Ruger watch our house closely. LOL!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There are negatives and positives to posting videos. My dd's video was copied, posted on some other websites and her skills have been attacked ever since.

Cannonball - thank you for sharing your story and I am sorry that your DD came under such ridicule. I broke down and paid ($250) for a professional to do my DD's recruiting video. I am typically a cheap SOB and hate paying someone to do something I could do myself, but since my DD is about to enter "prime time" for recruiting (16U) I figured it was money well spent if we get professional results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meeks