Skills video....question for DFP community

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Cannonball - thank you for sharing your story and I am sorry that your DD came under such ridicule. I broke down and paid ($250) for a professional to do my DD's recruiting video. I am typically a cheap SOB and hate paying someone to do something I could do myself, but since my DD is about to enter "prime time" for recruiting (16U) I figured it was money well spent if we get professional results.

You made the right decision. If you're serious about the college softball road, $250 towards $1000's in paid tuition, is a pretty good investment.

Dec 19, 2012
Cannonball makes a great point: Minimize the breaks as much as possible. It is also a red flag to people watching the video that the player has a hard time stringing together good skill. Also, arrange the video so that the player's skills go from best to worst, and try to keep the video under 5 minutes.

Cannonball, your dd displayed very good skill in the video and anyone with a pulse can tell that she is an athlete. It appears that certain posters were jealous of your kid's abilities......what idiots.

Apr 1, 2010
I would like to see it too- same reasons as above but I'm a few years away from that and I want to start preparing (I work slow ;) ).

I'd like to see it too. I have this horrifying suspicion that the time for skills videos will come along long before I'm ready.

Sep 18, 2011
Count me in - would love to see it. We are also planning to do one soon and like you, I've gone to a professional (good friend of ours). I can film a few clips but i don't know how to edit.

Jul 26, 2010
Rule 1 of the internet: Hitting experts are not on the internet

Rule 2 of the internet: Never solicit advice from hitting experts on the internet

Rule 3 of the internet: Never as for a critique of your kid's hitting performance on the internet, as there are no experts to provide such.

Rule 4: Profit.

-W

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Rule 1 of the internet: Hitting experts are not on the internet

Rule 2 of the internet: Never solicit advice from hitting experts on the internet

Rule 3 of the internet: Never as for a critique of your kid's hitting performance on the internet, as there are no experts to provide such.

Rule 4: Profit.

-W

Hey, I resemble all of those remarks!:cool:

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
cannonball.
i did not finish watching the video,because once she started throwing her rise/drop,i stopped the video and began my search to find out what big school gave your dd a scholarship !!! and wanted to see how she was doing as a pitcher in college?
then i read the rest of your post ??? as a parent,i'm sorry that there are people out there that would say mean things about a young girl that works so hard. THAT SOXS !!!!! i hope your dd is ok? and i hope she realizes people are just jealous !!! i hope she is doing well,and having a great softball career...

your inbox is full

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I think Cannonballs DD looks great! one thing that is nice is i like to see her smiling (spontaneously) - it looks like she is relaxed and having fun playing ball.
I also like Chelsea Thomas's Video Chelsea Thomas, Pitcher - YouTube for a number of reasons - first and foremost she doesn't look to me to be a standout, though I like her pitches. I am posting that link for cinematography comparison only- she's only in HS at the time and we all know she turned out to be a top-level college player. Interesting the approach they took to filming this.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2011
And if you read the about, they comment how in high school, she played 0 innings of club ball. That is intriguing.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Interesting how she stepped way left of the power line in her video and during her college years she stepped to the right of the power line on all of her pitches. I know Gillis changed her mechanics, but the point is she is to the right of the power line on all her pitches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45