PGF perspective on the ASA JO Cup (2/20)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Someone is going to have to explain the benefits of this free market system to me. If several companies are competing with each other to attract customers, the free market system says the consumer benefits because ultimately the price goes down or some other benefit is realized. I've seen the cost of TB go up and up over the years and I don't see where the players reaping the benefits of increased competition. This latest development makes me think even more players are going to be left out.
You're missing the demand part of the equation. In this market, supply has increased in response to large increases in demand. The best you can hope for is it's a bubble that gets burst and prices drop as a result.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Most of the costs associated with TB such as food, lodging, and transportation are certainly not unique or influenced in any way by TB. That said what are the costs unique to TB that have risen disproportionately more than anything else?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Most of the costs associated with TB such as food, lodging, and transportation are certainly not unique or influenced in any way by TB. That said what are the costs unique to TB that have risen disproportionately more than anything else?

If a team is "elite" and "getting girls recruited", seems that might make it a bit easier to justify paying coaches a salary.

Bold above is influenced by TB when you have to stay in PGF or IDT "stay to play hotels" while there getting kickbacks from lodging establishments when we could stay at lesser expensive lodging establishments.... but I guess "these" elite organization's deserve to make money on us parents that just want there kids to play ball at a high level and be able to experience playing college ball. That being said I don't think they should not make money but I also don't think they should rape the pockets of every parent of the kid that plays in their showcases/tournaments. My $.02

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now

Wichita has part of the answer. The number of tournaments that are now requiring stay to play have gone up which in turn has increased lodging costs to a certain extent. Also, tournament fees themselves have gone up. When we came to TB 5 years ago, we could find a decent 3/4 gg tourney in our area for around $350. Now these same tournaments are running between $425-$450 at the same venues. You know the associated costs with the tournaments themselves haven't risen as dramatically the prices have increased over the years.

Let's also not forget the new 10-12 field venues that are being built to handle the new demand of tournament play and able to charge large amounts for their use. If the organizations have moved to one of these, the fees are even higher.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Here's a look into the cost of travel ball. USSSA tournaments cost $500 for 4 GG. USSSA Regional WS cost $425 for entry and $800 for gate entry (Required to play). $1225 for 5 games minimum winning team played 10 games. That's a $725 increase for 1 game. Rumor has it the director in my region makes upwards of $500K a year. $122.50 a game for the winner. if you play 5 its $245 a game for 90 minutes.

Played a Pony tournament last year that was minimum 8 games but max of 10 games. Cost $825. $82.50 a game. Field rental cost tournament director $400 total and there was 65 teams. $54K in entry fees, average of $2K profit a day on food and the director claimed poverty.

NSA/ASA seem to be the cheapest and most cost effective tournaments. I understand prices in my part of the country might be higher based on cost of living but this is only going to get worse. how do you stop it? Don't pay it, but then you don't play.

Apr 25, 2010
Here's a look into the cost of travel ball. USSSA tournaments cost $500 for 4 GG. USSSA Regional WS cost $425 for entry and $800 for gate entry (Required to play). $1225 for 5 games minimum winning team played 10 games. That's a $725 increase for 1 game. Rumor has it the director in my region makes upwards of $500K a year. $122.50 a game for the winner. if you play 5 its $245 a game for 90 minutes.

Played a Pony tournament last year that was minimum 8 games but max of 10 games. Cost $825. $82.50 a game. Field rental cost tournament director $400 total and there was 65 teams. $54K in entry fees, average of $2K profit a day on food and the director claimed poverty.

NSA/ASA seem to be the cheapest and most cost effective tournaments. I understand prices in my part of the country might be higher based on cost of living but this is only going to get worse. how do you stop it? Don't pay it, but then you don't play.

They still have PONY where you are? I think PONY left Ohio about 7-8 years ago.

I really don't know what to think about this whole ASA - PGF thing. This new tournament ASA is putting out just seems to me like an almost desperate attempt to attract the top teams back from PGF. However, I do think PGF feels a little threatened. I think this may get ugly before all is said and done. Even our local PGF director isn't real sure what to make of it.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2010
Not quite. Tri-T league in our area is still Pony and competitive as far as the rec leagues go.

Maybe so, but I haven't seen a PONY tournament listed since Mercedes played. And Youngstown seems to be a world unto it's own sometimes...lol.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Maybe so, but I haven't seen a PONY tournament listed since Mercedes played. And Youngstown seems to be a world unto it's own sometimes...lol.
LOL...you got that right! Field of Dreams in Boardman has one as do the fields in Liberty since they are playing qualifiers for the Pony World Series in Jamestown,Pa. I think there are a couple of others as well but don't hold me to that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles