Skills Video_ What are people doing for this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
5) Edit out BS and down time. So no 5 seconds between pitches or hits. Cut it all out. Don't leave in bad stuff - if you get a hit that pops up - don't include it.

Be careful with this. From the words of several college coach's mouth. They would like to see 10 swings in a row from the side and 10 swings from behind unedited. They want to see how the player makes the adjustment pitch to pitch. Don't try to fool us is what they said. They don't want to see a perfect video either. If your cell phone can produce decent quality video use it. No music, no slow motion and they prefer not to see in game video highlight. Coaches don't want you to have to spend a bunch of money on a skills video...they prefer you spend money on camps!!!

Use Windows Movie Maker (free download) and post it to your kids youtube channel. From there you will can use the analytics function to see if anyone is watching the video and what state they are watching it from...along with some other nuggets of valuable information.

Note: In order to get a good 10 pitch sequence you may have to toss a bunch of balls to get some decent film. Having any skills video is better than nothing. Do one every year so the coaches can see the progress and growth. It's also good to send to TB coaches as you begin to consider moving teams.

Oct 10, 2011
I agree with keeping it simple and short...a good smart phone is fine. DD's coach said he looked at 3 swings, and her fielding 2 balls...that was enough to peak his interest. We've heard that from several of the coaches.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I agree with keeping it simple and short...a good smart phone is fine. DD's coach said he looked at 3 swings, and her fielding 2 balls...that was enough to peak his interest. We've heard that from several of the coaches.

Yep KISSir.... You got 21 seconds...

MEMO:

What if posting .gifs of your DD on here reached more Coaches than any e-mail list ??? :cool:

longball00

Softball is my obsession
Apr 8, 2014
Willoughby, Ohio
We were told by a top D1 Head Coach to use an iPhone or iPad, and use iMovie to cut the downtime. He wanted 5 pitches of each pitch, and 5 swings for hitting. Very simple to use, and has worked for us.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
In the years I've been around the game, and from the coaches I've talked to I feel I have a good grasp on what the MAJORITY look for. Obviously there are variations. Some of this repeats what others said, but here's my list.

1. Keep it short. They get dozens or hundreds. Most coaches will not go more than 3-4 minutes.
2. If you're not a pitcher put hitting first. Most college coaches recruit based on hitting, then figure out defense.
3. I would not edit between pitches/swings. It's a red flag to the coach that you're hiding something.
4. Unless you are a slapper do not bother with bunting or running. You aren't being recruited for that
5. Arm strength is important for defense, show some throws, but they don't need to see you flip it for a double play or throw from second AND short.
6. 3-4 pitches is plenty per pitch. I'd use two angles, behind the pitcher and from the third baseline (for a righty). That shows form and movement.
7. Name and position at the beginning, contact and team info at the end.

YMMV

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
WOW !!! Really Nice Clip.... & HITTING !!!! :cool:

Exactly what I'm talking about.... Don't think that you need all the stuff that's in the Skills video.

I think it's more about constant contact with ...updates of Real HighLights !!!

My little .gif is speaking to the fact, that she's been bending the ball for a couple years now. :cool:

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
We went the professional videographer route and spent $250 to get a professional done skills video. Normal price was $300, but we had 4 or 5 girls on the team sign up, so he gave everyone a $50 discount. I would advise watching as many skills videos as you can stand and decide what you like and do not like. My best advice is avoid the temptation to add music, and keep it @ 5 minutes for a pitcher who also shows a secondary defensive position and hits. You have @ 30 seconds to catch the coaches attention and to make them want to watch the rest of the video, so DO NOT save the best for last. Here is the one we did for my DD a couple of years ago in case you want some ideas.