Preparing for the “Hello Elbow” vs. IR Discussions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I've done some brief clinics for an entire program. A couple of one hour sessions for two groups across three weeks. What I found was the type of people who went to those types of clinics instead of pitching coaches tended to go there for a reason. Quick fix and off we go. Unfortunately, that's not the best way to learn how to pitch. I'm pretty sure none of them did what I said as soon as some other well-meaning parent or friend told them to start pushing the ball down the back side of the circle and reach their arm up with a locked elbow.

It's a tough situation. You get out of this stuff what you invest in it. What you probably will end up with is the most athletic girls doing the pitching because they're the ones most likely to throw strikes, just like they're the ones most likely to succeed at other aspects of the game without specific instruction.

Best you can do, in my opinion, is see which kids are really interested in learning to pitch and direct them to a qualified PC who can teach them high-level mechanics.

Chris Delorit

Apr 24, 2016
Green Bay, WI
Ken,

Some good advice and very nicely explained. :D

Gags,

If your looking for some D1 IR mechanics to use in your coaching examples, I'd suggest you consider beginning with some 2017 tape of Kleist. Although there are better college pitchers, there are few with such fluid IR mechanics.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles