What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
This is certainly true. However when the rubber went from 40 ft away to 43 ft away hitting statistics increased pretty much right away (without a change in anything else eg ball, equipment, etc) so all things being equal less reaction time makes things more difficult..I don't think you (or anybody else) would argue with that.
Yep, More time to make a decision hitting.
Then equipment changed and Batting averages blew up.

Having played when the game came from 40 ft don't really see the big deal of a pitcher Crow hopping now, (even if gaining three more feet on their pitch release). Especially when batters have much lighter bats and a rocketball to hit.

Put some balance back in the game between defense and offense.

Simply saying that because read lots of comments about how there aren't enough good pitchers.
How do we get more effective pitching?! Perhaps Let them have more freedom and let's have a broader chance at better pitching!

Probably could use the men's game as an example of stop being so restrictive in the women's game.

Jul 19, 2021
Do you see a lot of pitchers in women's fastpitch that know how to maximize their crow hop? The rare times I do see someone doing it there isn't a perceived advantage.
How do you know there is no advantage being gained if you don't see them pitch without crow hopping? Any analysis regarding an advantage being gained would need to have a baseline established to compare against. You have no baseline therefore you have no analysis.

Jun 8, 2016
Having played when the game came from 40 ft don't really see the big deal of a pitcher Crow hopping now, (even if gaining three more feet on their pitch release). Especially when batters have much lighter bats and a rocketball to hit.
It isn't so much of it being unfair to hitters as it is that some people are able to (possibly) gain an advantage by breaking a rule. Think of it this way. If one team was allowed to use bats that were outlawed for everybody else, how would you feel about that?

May 13, 2023
It isn't so much of it being unfair to hitters as it is that some people are able to (possibly) gain an advantage by breaking a rule. Think of it this way. If one team was allowed to use bats that were outlawed for everybody else, how would you feel about that?
That's just rule bantering discussion. And even within the rules umpire's still use different observational judgment applying it. 🤷‍♀️

😏 Let pitchers pitch and move on!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Anna really only had two pitching coaches, well 2.5 but who's counting?

The first one from an early on age, his thoughts were if a girl is illegal, leave her alone and let her go, she's hurting herself and she's not giving herself an advantage. The second coach was just the opposite, she didn't have a lot to say about leaping but she definitely said a girl who replants and gets herself closer to the hitter definitely has an advantage! So who's right?

I say stay in the lane and stay in the circle and let them pitch! Barnhill was mentioned earlier, love her or hate her I really enjoyed watching her pitch, I'd say she's the most polarizing collage pitcher we've seen in years right or wrong, in fact I miss watching her pitch!

May 17, 2012
How do you know there is no advantage being gained if you don't see them pitch without crow hopping? Any analysis regarding an advantage being gained would need to have a baseline established to compare against. You have no baseline therefore you have no analysis.

Because what I see 99.9% of the time are pitchers that are trying to pitch within the rules but have some sort of mechanical issue with their motion so with they leap or crow-hop (again the true crow-hop is super rare).

It isn't like they were trained to leap or crow-hop and have mastered the art and have a meaningful advantage. This is how softball games get played every weekend. Umpires, coaches, TDI, no one cares. The main reason no one cares is it isn't a meaningful advantage.

The only people that care are the hitters on the other team (only if they lose). The opposing pitchers' parents grumble as well (only if they lose from what I have seen).

I am not excusing the behavior, I am just trying to explain it.

May 16, 2016
Kelly rarely hit 70 in real life if it wasn't an ESPN guns and when she didn't crow hop she was three to four miles slower. Typically she was around 67 when hopping and replanting amd 64-63 when not. And she got lit up like a Christmas tree when she didn't hop

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
A 1.17 career ERA at UF is "getting lit up"? You are just spouting off made up nonsense.

Oct 4, 2018
Anna really only had two pitching coaches, well 2.5 but who's counting?

The first one from an early on age, his thoughts were if a girl is illegal, leave her alone and let her go, she's hurting herself and she's not giving herself an advantage. The second coach was just the opposite, she didn't have a lot to say about leaping but she definitely said a girl who replants and gets herself closer to the hitter definitely has an advantage! So who's right?

I say stay in the lane and stay in the circle and let them pitch! Barnhill was mentioned earlier, love her or hate her I really enjoyed watching her pitch, I'd say she's the most polarizing collage pitcher we've seen in years right or wrong, in fact I miss watching her pitch!

Why stay in the lane? If you're getting rid of the rules just get rid of the rules?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi