What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Because what I see 99.9% of the time are pitchers that are trying to pitch within the rules but have some sort of mechanical issue with their motion so with they leap or crow-hop (again the true crow-hop is super rare).

It isn't like they were trained to leap or crow-hop and have mastered the art and have a meaningful advantage. This is how softball games get played every weekend. Umpires, coaches, TDI, no one cares. The main reason no one cares is it isn't a meaningful advantage.

The only people that care are the hitters on the other team (only if they lose). The opposing pitchers' parents grumble as well (only if they lose from what I have seen).

I am not excusing the behavior, I am just trying to explain it.
None of that is relevant to you having a baseline to compare against in order to make your determination that no advantage is gained.

May 13, 2023
Thinking through more perspective on this, if a Crow Hop leap removed say two or three feet to a closer distance-

Perhaps it could be a disadvantage that if a pitcher Crow hops ( Landing closer to a hit pitch) their own ability to be a defensive player might get limited by their shortened reaction time. 🤷‍♀️
Perhaps not all pitchers but some.

This could equal a disadvantage to the entire defense with a hole up the middle.
Percentage might be minimal, or that one time where it might be really important!

Given that some pitchers are equally great at defense and some pitchers are more just pitchers might be a percentage difference in those categories. 🤷‍♀️

Certainly both offense and defense have to deal with timing of the ball!

May 17, 2012
None of that is relevant to you having a baseline to compare against in order to make your determination that no advantage is gained.

No advantage is gained to the point anyone cares. You can argue semantics all you want. See post #4.

Jul 19, 2021
No advantage is gained to the point anyone cares. You can argue semantics all you want. See post #4.
haha, glad to see that at least you are backing off from your 2 original posts stating unequivocally that no crow hopper has any velo and no advantage is gained.

Baby steps..

May 17, 2012
haha, glad to see that at least you are backing off from your 2 original posts stating unequivocally that no crow hopper has any velo and no advantage is gained.

Baby steps..

I had to go back and reread my posts thinking I had missed something. I did not.

I was trying to explain why leaping and crow hopping persist in the sport from my viewpoint (and why nobody cares).

May 16, 2019
In anything competitive, it's not the 1st 95 or even 98% that separates the best from the rest. It's the last 1%(or more realistically the last .1 or .01%). The guys in the 95th percentile of golfers are fighting to win their club championships or dogfights in their spare time after work. The guys in the 99.999th percentiles are trying to make money on tour(225/30 million golfers). So yes 10 or 15% is a huge deal.

It wont be long before a girl is a multi-millionare before leaving college.(how much would/could Jennie Finch have made in college with NIL...),

If crowhopping didn't offer an advantage the men wouldn't do it.

@ArmWhip

It's not a full push...

That's 90+% of the superheavyweight WR(he's not a superheavyweight).

He's outside of the circle. And he's pushing from 41 or so feet.

They should change the rules because it's not called. And it offers an advantage. If girls were allowed to train crowhop mechanics you would see a noticeable difference.

Obviously my student is not going to exactly look like the best men's pitchers in the world but I try and use the intent of how their bodies move. Most women's pitching is taught with the force or energy going from back to front, east to west like a sprinter. The men's energy looks like a sprinter that's jumping over a puddle. I'm totally trying to stay within the rules. I have a very small sample size of students that I just started working with, so I'd be speculating the advantages but I feel there are several.

Jun 8, 2016
And I'm still waiting for that list of flame throwing crow hoppers out there that are dominating college softball.
I am going to be completely honest with you, and I may get flamed for this, but I think many (most?) female pitchers are not
athletic enough to be able to pull off crow hopping like the men do....Bahl, Alexander..sure, but I cannot see a lot of these kids
being able to do it.

Jan 25, 2022
Yep, More time to make a decision hitting.
Then equipment changed and Batting averages blew up.

Having played when the game came from 40 ft don't really see the big deal of a pitcher Crow hopping now, (even if gaining three more feet on their pitch release). Especially when batters have much lighter bats and a rocketball to hit.

Put some balance back in the game between defense and offense.

Simply saying that because read lots of comments about how there aren't enough good pitchers.
How do we get more effective pitching?! Perhaps Let them have more freedom and let's have a broader chance at better pitching!

Probably could use the men's game as an example of stop being so restrictive in the women's game.

This is my opinion, but I feel like it's probably correct.

I think the reason women's fastpitch is so popular with viewers is because the ball is put into play so much. Most people aren't watching a game for the strikeouts, unless it's one of those situations where a pitcher is putting on a show and headed for a no hitter or perfect game. It's also nice to see players celebrate good plays instead of "act like you've been there before."

I liked watching it even before my girls got into playing. It's also why I enjoy playing slow-pitch. There's just more action.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00