What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2021
Yes, Kelly Barnhill crow hopped and she threw 70, but she came down short of the 8ft circle. Was the crow hopping responsible for her velocity?
Well the few times an ump decided to crack down on it, her velo went down. The old 2+2 method of common sense applies here but I'm sure if it doesn't fit a narrative it will be argued otherwise. Lol.....

But the fact remains there are crow hoppers that throw hard, which is the main point I was making by bringing up Barnhill. Taking a few anecdotal examples of crow hoppers not throwing it hard and painting all crow hoppers with that brush is what I was mainly concerned with rebutting.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
you should tell this to my pocket radar. What you say conflicts with what I witnessed it readout at the 2019 SEC Championship
Well, if we are to believe the players themselves, Donnie Gobourne is throwing in the upper 70s. Yes, she's claimed that in interviews on the SEC Network the last two days. She's having a magical run and pitching fantastic, but she isn't throwing upper 70s.

May 13, 2023
If Rad were here, she'd tell everyone to be better hitters and not sweat the leaping.
Correct!
My comments were in part an homage to Rad, whereever she is. I hope she is well.
Thank you, doing well!

What I have noticed is
The times a pitcher has an advantage is when batters aren't good hitters/or bad eye in the box.

That said,
we can reflect on recent years pitchers being able to do new footwork at the start of their pitches,
one foot on the rubber, one foot back...
^^^ This blended in pretty smoothly with hitters. And from comments about it pitchers did seem to gain a few mph.
(relative to their feet, would still be a discussion)

Feb 15, 2017
Is this documented somewhere? I would love to look at the numbers.
If you watch any of the televised games where she got called for it, you can see the decrease in velocity.

The teams that played against her have gunned her and know the difference as well.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2017
you should tell this to my pocket radar. What you say conflicts with what I witnessed it readout at the 2019 SEC Championship
You do know ESPN juices thier guns, correct? Have you ever personally clocked her or know someone on a collegiate staff that has? I do.

Jun 8, 2016
Some folks don't like that you pick the poster child for pitching with a crow hop. Who cares when they graduated?

You are right…there is no statute of limitations when it comes to old men getting their Big 12/SEC/PAC 12/ACC/Big 10 boxer shorts in a bunch about how some college kid throws a ball..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877