What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
I understand that crow hopping is illegal at the high school and travel levels, but I wanted to know why. What is the advantage it gives to pitchers?

I normally hear how crow hopping negitiviely effects the pitch, but to outlaw it there has to be an advantage to it.

Wanted to know if anyone knew the advantage?

Jun 8, 2016
I understand that crow hopping is illegal at the high school and travel levels, but I wanted to know why. What is the advantage it gives to pitchers?

I normally hear how crow hopping negitiviely effects the pitch, but to outlaw it there has to be an advantage to it.

Wanted to know if anyone knew the advantage?
Presumably you are releasing the ball closer to the plate than you otherwise would be able to.

May 17, 2012
This!

Instead of pushing off at 43', you are now pushing off at 40'(?).

Except they aren't throwing 9 MPH faster. It isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

The few true crow hoppers we have faced didn't throw with great velocity. Their delivery looked slightly off but not enough so that you couldn't time it.

May 27, 2022
Except they aren't throwing 9 MPH faster. It isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

The few true crow hoppers we have faced didn't throw with great velocity. Their delivery looked slightly off but not enough so that you couldn't time it.

But, at 43', it would have taken longer to get to the batter, right?

Less distance at the same velocity is less time and vice versa...

Jun 20, 2015
besides the fact that it's illegal, therefore shouldn't be done in games. And the fact that pitcher is releasing the ball closer to the plate and the fact that proper crop hopping will actually increase pitcher's velo.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad