I need a "bracket" pitcher? What exactly does that mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
I guess people do lessons differently. DD spends less than 20% of time working on spots. DD could be throwing to a wall or net for that matter. The purpose of the catcher in a bullpen lesson is to get ball back to the pitcher and little else.

May 13, 2023
The purpose of the catcher in a bullpen lesson is to get ball back to the pitcher and little else.
Hmmm 😁 that is the purpose of a person sitting on a bucket catching the ball.

For Catchers
The purpose of a bullpen is training to a catcher. There should be purpose in receiving pitches/framing. Also working on defensive mechanics defending not great pitches,
You know😏🤫🤭 those pitches that are called wild.

May 27, 2013
This may be the worst post of all time. Virtually every parent that catches lessons for their daughter uses something to set on. LEsoftballdad is the only one that doesn’t.
I always caught my dd from the crouch, didn’t use a bucket. Made it so much easier to catch drop balls and changeups that died at the plate.

To each their own. My preference was non-bucket. Great leg workout, too.

ETA: The only time I would use a bucket is when my dd would do riseball work with her PC.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
All the people I see taking lessons must just be a bunch of wimps. There is no way I am crouching for an hour. There is also zero chance not sitting on a bucket makes anyone a better pitcher.
I don't crouch for an hour, either. No catcher does. There's always down time between pitches, or when the coach wants to review something with the student.

I started crouching because my daughter broke my toe on a change up, despite me wearing full gear. I was lazy one hot and windy August afternoon, and even though I had on all my gear, I decided to sit on a bucket. She threw a change that went below my mitt but above the ground by my right foot. Because I was on a bucket, I couldn't get my mitt down low enough, so the ball got me right at the top of my sneaker. Bamm, broken toe. If I'm in a crouch, it never happens. Why? A) because I catch it. B) my feet are behind my shin guards.

Another time I got nailed on a bucket was seven years ago. I had no gear, so I caught a bullpen on turf. I sat side-saddle to put the family jewels out of harm's way. Well, she bounced one in front of me that skipped up and pinched the skin of my gluteus maximus between the ball and bucket. I had a blood bruise for almost two months that made it painful to sit. Was it a freak accident? Absolutely. Does it happen if I'm wearing gear and in a crouch? No way.

@Vertigo is right. It's also a great workout.

May 27, 2013
I don't crouch for an hour, either. No catcher does. There's always down time between pitches, or when the coach wants to review something with the student.

I started crouching because my daughter broke my toe on a change up, despite me wearing full gear. I was lazy one hot and windy August afternoon, and even though I had on all my gear, I decided to sit on a bucket. She threw a change that went below my mitt but above the ground by my right foot. Because I was on a bucket, I couldn't get my mitt down low enough, so the ball got me right at the top of my sneaker. Bamm, broken toe. If I'm in a crouch, it never happens. Why? A) because I catch it. B) my feet are behind my shin guards.

Another time I got nailed on a bucket was seven years ago. I had no gear, so I caught a bullpen on turf. I sat side-saddle to put the family jewels out of harm's way. Well, she bounced one in front of me that skipped up and pinched the skin of my gluteus maximus between the ball and bucket. I had a blood bruise for almost two months that made it painful to sit. Was it a freak accident? Absolutely. Does it happen if I'm wearing gear and in a crouch? No way.

@Vertigo is right. It's also a great workout.
I think my biggest mistake was trying to catch dd without shin-guards when she was learning the drop. I still have knots on my shins from where she caught me with the ball. I, too, cringe when I see parents catching their kids without gear, especially a face mask! I don’t care how good your dd is or how well she can locate a pitch, all it takes is one misfire and there goes a tooth or three….

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If we pitched by ourselves for a while I always sat on a bucket, any pitch that went sideways I did not even try to catch. If there was a batter I would not use a bucket, still would not catch balls the went sideways though.

Oct 4, 2018
I have never, nor will I ever, sit on a bucket for any reason. People who sit on buckets have their players hit tires. And start throwing warm ups from 3 feet from each other flicking their wrists.

I sit on a bucket 3-5 days per week for my DD. I'll put her up against any 14U pitcher.

Me on a bucket doesn't really change her performance, skill, drive, passion, etc. etc.

I don't wear gear, I usually wear flip flops. DD pitches in the 60s. Guess I just have skills.

Oct 14, 2019
I sit on a bucket 3-5 days per week for my DD. I'll put her up against any 14U pitcher.

Me on a bucket doesn't really change her performance, skill, drive, passion, etc. etc.

I don't wear gear, I usually wear flip flops. DD pitches in the 60s. Guess I just have skills.
These guys are acting like a bucket catcher can’t show a low target or a high target. They seem to imagine the bucket catcher just showing one target in the high middle of the zone. Do they think Montana Fouts’ dad didn’t catch her sitting on a bucket?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles