ranting again

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I keep reading this, but at least in small town southern Illinois, it is nothing compared to what it was when I was growing up. Keep in mind the coaches were generally smoking darts and enjoying a cooler full of beer during the game (summer ball not school).
Maybe, maybe not but one thing is certain is that the volume of abuse is probably a lot higher now. How many games did you play during a summer? Until I got to Legion ball, unless you made the all star team, you would play 15-20 games tops in the summer..There was no "tournament ball" back then..

May 21, 2018
Maybe, maybe not but one thing is certain is that the volume of abuse is probably a lot higher now. How many games did you play during a summer? Until I got to Legion ball, unless you made the all star team, you would play 15-20 games tops in the summer..
Me? I played about 4 or 5 and sat on the bench for another 10 or so.

Yes, if you increase the amount of games the cumulative amount of abuse will also increase.

May 29, 2015
Does a meow indicate ball or strike?

Serious question for you. Do you prefer pay at the plate, or is there another payment method you find better?

Neither. Me-outs, of course. That is just for Purr-fect Game tournaments though.

For a single game, I prefer to be paid at the game, but I’m not big on being handed a check (or cash) at the plate meeting. I like when the site admin or coach meets us to take care of that before we go on the field.

For tournaments, I expect to be paid upon completion of my last game. Check is preferable, but I know electronic payments are becoming more common.

My issue with electronic payment is I have had more bad experiences that way. If you are paying me electronically, there is NO acceptable reason I should have to wait on payment. The whole point is ease and convenience.

More than once I have had major issues when the guy issuing payments has hit his transfer limit and I had to wait, he got locked out of his account and I had to wait, etc. That just is not acceptable. If you are paying electronically: (1) have your system organized and functional already, (2) payment should be made following the last game (not later in the week when you sit down), and (3) do not demand that I have to sign up for yet another e-payment system or app to get paid.

The tournament I have this weekend is an e-check the following week on a new system. Not thrilled, but I knew that before I took the contract so it was my choice.

May 29, 2015
Maybe, maybe not but one thing is certain is that the volume of abuse is probably a lot higher now. How many games did you play during a summer? Until I got to Legion ball, unless you made the all star team, you would play 15-20 games tops in the summer..There was no "tournament ball" back then..

Volume increase with the volume increase in games, yes. Statistically going to happen that way.

I will say, I do feel that the pendulum is swinging back a bit. In the last year, I would say I have had fewer problems (and more appreciation), however the intensity of the problems continues to ratchet up.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I think the whole tournament thing ratchets everything up, number of games, amount of emotion, etc, etc.

I think another a big part is the cost. Due to the whole tournament thing. Parents pay a lot of money now in team fees, equipment, and travel. Not sure said upset parents correlate their frustration with the umpires to their out of pocket expenses, but I see it all time with hockey parents.

Part of me thinks that if little Susie's parents paid $200-$300 for a Summer league season (instead of $2,000+), they wouldn't be so upset when blue missed a call or made a rule error. Maybe I'm wrong....... I'm probably wrong.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles