I need a "bracket" pitcher? What exactly does that mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
These guys are acting like a bucket catcher can’t show a low target or a high target. They seem to imagine the bucket catcher just showing one target in the high middle of the zone. Do they think Montana Fouts’ dad didn’t catch her sitting on a bucket?

Yeah, I'm a bit confused. I can get my glove to the ground if needed, I can put the target inside or outside. I fully admit I'd be more mobile without the bucket, but it's not going to help my DD any. I have bad knees, no way I'm crouching even for a single pitch.

Mar 29, 2023
Once my daughter (10U) is taller, I'm not sure I'd care as much, but sitting on a bucket puts me quite high relative to her height and to batters strike zones at that age. I just think a small stool makes more sense.

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
Once my daughter (10U) is taller, I'm not sure I'd care as much, but sitting on a bucket puts me quite high relative to her height and to batters strike zones at that age. I just think a small stool makes more sense.
3 legged camping stools work well.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
These guys are acting like a bucket catcher can’t show a low target or a high target. They seem to imagine the bucket catcher just showing one target in the high middle of the zone. Do they think Montana Fouts’ dad didn’t catch her sitting on a bucket?
But Fouts was a riseball pitcher, so being higher actually benefited her. If she were a dropball pitcher, getting a low target while sitting on a bucket would be significantly more difficult.

And it's not always about the mitt being the target. Oklahoma had their catcher wear a taped-on target on the chest protector when Bahl pitched in the WCWS.

Look, anyone willing to get back there and catch for their daughter deserves credit. If your back, knees, or feet prevent you from crouching, and the bucket is the only alternative, go for it. It certainly beats throwing into a net or target. If you have the ability to don the gear and catch in a crouch, it's better for the pitcher.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
Giving a target in pitching sessions are about pitchers learning control to hit their spots.
DD (or any other pitcher I've caught) throwing to me on a bucket, then throwing to a squatting catcher in their next game did not result in her constantly missing high on her targets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles