What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Yep agree 🤣😂😁 there would be a group in today's crowd would throw a tizzy fit.

Possibly worse reaction than the catcher throwing the ball at the Batters face at the plate.... yikes!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
This is my opinion, but I feel like it's probably correct.

I think the reason women's fastpitch is so popular with viewers is because the ball is put into play so much. Most people aren't watching a game for the strikeouts, unless it's one of those situations where a pitcher is putting on a show and headed for a no hitter or perfect game. It's also nice to see players celebrate good plays instead of "act like you've been there before."

I liked watching it even before my girls got into playing. It's also why I enjoy playing slow-pitch. There's just more action.
When Anna was a senior in HS she was dating the "star" on the baseball team, he just graduated from having a successful D2 baseball career. He had never seen FP before but quickly started loving it. He was a PO in college but in my opinion he was a better SS/3B than he was a pitcher, like someone else I know! :rolleyes:

He said something I'll never forget about the speed of the game, especially from the left side of the infield. He said (and you'd have to hear his voice)....."man, at SS I can bobble the ball twice and eat a sandwich, and still throw the guy out at first, but not in fastpitch!" :LOL: Like you said, it was the fast action he was impressed with!

Jun 8, 2016
When Anna was a senior in HS she was dating the "star" on the baseball team, he just graduated from having a successful D2 baseball career. He had never seen FP before but quickly started loving it. He was a PO in college but in my opinion he was a better SS/3B than he was a pitcher, like someone else I know! :rolleyes:

He said something I'll never forget about the speed of the game, especially from the left side of the infield. He said (and you'd have to hear his voice)....."man, at SS I can bobble the ball twice and eat a sandwich, and still throw the guy out at first, but not in fastpitch!" :LOL: Like you said, it was the fast action he was impressed with!
It certainly is faster. I don't think it is as aesthetically pleasing as baseball (jmo..don't shoot me..) but it is definitely faster.

Oct 4, 2018

Hadn't been to an MLB game in many years, but had been to hundreds of softball games. First MLB game since kids played fastpitch the first ball was a grounder to short. He didn't charge it, double-pumped a time or two, and still threw the runner out by 6 steps. The whole play I was thinking the runner would be safe. :p

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It certainly is faster. I don't think it is as aesthetically pleasing as baseball (jmo..don't shoot me..) but it is definitely faster.

My DD would agree with you. She watches a lot of baseball on TV. Not as much softball, short of the WCWS. She loves softball live though, because I think the speed of the game translates way better.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Oh I definitely agree, somewhat. I know she's my DD but I loved watching her play SS, she had crazy range and a pretty great arm, and great hands / glovework. So after she when to college I helped assist our 18U National team before Covid locked down the world. There was a senior SS on that team that was a good head and shoulders taller than my DD. The first practice I got to be with them this girl was the only thing I watched, serious D1 P5 ability at SS, she did everything perfectly and everything strong and hard, she was a BA!

I could have watched this girl over a superstar MLB'er everyday of the week! I remember Anna coming home one weekend and I was telling her about this girl, Anna said is she better than me? After a couple seconds of hesitation I was like, yep, sorry kiddo, this girl is in a league of her own!

pattar, knowing you and your baseball background, you would have loved watching this girl, and.....she could hit like crazy, complete package!

Jun 8, 2016
Oh I definitely agree, somewhat. I know she's my DD but I loved watching her play SS, she had crazy range and a pretty great arm, and great hands / glovework. So after she when to college I helped assist our 18U National team before Covid locked down the world. There was a senior SS on that team that was a good head and shoulders taller than my DD. The first practice I got to be with them this girl was the only thing I watched, serious D1 P5 ability at SS, she did everything perfectly and everything strong and hard, she was a BA!

I could have watched this girl over a superstar MLB'er everyday of the week! I remember Anna coming home one weekend and I was telling her about the girl, Anna said is she better than me? After a couple seconds of hesitation I was like, yep, sorry kiddo, this girl is in a league of her own!

pattar, knowing you and your baseball background, you would have loved watching this girl, and.....she could hit like crazy, complete package!

I have yet to see a D1 fastpitch SS have actions like this 13 YO boy (forget about the trick stuff..just the fluidity of motion). Grace Lyons, Sis Bates, etc are all great but they don't look like that..This is the problem I have with Marcela..I am chasing THAT but I am not sure THAT is even possible..The closest I have seen is that kid that played for UCLA, Perez.

May 27, 2022
I am going to be completely honest with you, and I may get flamed for this, but I think many (most?) female pitchers are not
athletic enough to be able to pull off crow hopping like the men do....Bahl, Alexander..sure, but I cannot see a lot of these kids
being able to do it.
Or maybe it is because the vast majority have learned in a manner that is in compliance with the rule book...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00