What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
This is my opinion, but I feel like it's probably correct.

I think the reason women's fastpitch is so popular with viewers is because the ball is put into play so much.
Yes, that's why they changed where the pitcher stands and created a ball that flies like a rocket.
More action on the bases!
More home runs!

Can either think there's a balance between offense and defense or it does appear imbalanced now. 🤷‍♀️ game went from pitchers dual to over inflated batting averages.

Clearly though there are not as many dominating/ effective pitchers to make competition more balanced.
And batting averages sored with the purposeful changes that were made.

I agree that the pitchers dual with one run ball games was a bit slow for spectators. But I do believe that it has overblown towards the offense now.

With a goal to hopefully create more competitive pitching I think they should loosen and relax the restrictions in the women's game. Batters still will have the added advantage of the pitcher who's been moved back. A ball that flies like a rocket. And very light explosive technology of bats. Oh and let's not forget still a close home run fence.

imo watching run ruled games at the D1 level or any level for that matter is not fun either. Prefer competitive games!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
I am going to be completely honest with you, and I may get flamed for this, but I think many (most?) female pitchers are not
athletic enough to be able to pull off crow hopping like the men do....Bahl, Alexander..sure, but I cannot see a lot of these kids
being able to do it.
I am with RAD laughing at you for this... Consider the flame gun on...go take a shower. lol

May 13, 2023
I laugh at that only because I know with certainty that women did used to throw with Crow hopping and they were very explosive leaping far off the rubber like in the men's game. Ovaries can do it! 😁🤣🥳

Men's game never got restricted like the women's game did!

May 13, 2023

50+ teams with ERAs below 3..MLB is no where near that..
I edited my post because I didn't want to get confusing with that. But if you look at the women's batting averages they went up .100 to .150 points. Making the point how gigantically batting averages exploded.

May 13, 2023
All,most or some?
Already commented to that the answer is 'some'.

Another thing that changed in the women's game was the lane the pitcher has to land within.
That was another restriction put on the womans pitchers.
Where they didn't have to do that before had more freedom to pitch the best they can.

May 13, 2023
Absolutely would startle some people in softball these days if ALL pitchers 14u and up were allowed to start from 40 ft leap two or three feet *replant and pitch. Ball would come out of the pitcher's hand 35 ft away. And pitchers would consistently erase that pitching circle line in front of them.

Have to make very fast decisions about swinging!!!

* replant is another debatable discussion on whether or not it's a landing and a repush.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles