Player Age when 1 grade lower

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 19, 2024
Do travel teams change from birthday year to graduation year, once the girls get into high school?

My daughter is a second year 12u player and in 6th grade. Most of her teammates are in the 7th grade. I see two potential issues that I'm not sure what will happen.

1) In her second year of 14u, most of her team will play for high school in the spring. I'm guessing she'll have to find a new team and then come back to the original team for Summer/Fall and showcases?

2) IF she's interested, and good enough, to play college ball - I hear most of the recruiting is done during Junior year at 16u tournaments. But she'll be 17 her Junior year. I'm unsure what to expect.

Any advice or guidance from experience would be very welcome!

Jan 20, 2023
I have a 2nd year 14s 8th grader.

A lot of the teams will have them play with their first year team here for fall (fall high school) or kids will join a regular team and guest play for fall. I spent a lot of time finding a team and lucked out as we have an 8th grade majority 09 team that played a full fall comp schedule.

Is it just usssa holding out at this point on aligning dates closer to grad year?

I’m curious what others say too about the older grades.

Feb 24, 2022
Our HC's daughter is 1 year younger than the rest of our 2nd year 14u team (great player BTW). She is playing the Spring season with our 1st year 14u team and then will join us in June when we start.

Same thing happened last year - we had a 2nd yr 14u girl who was in 8th grade join our team for Spring.

It's the best option if you have an organization that you like and trust. But, keep in mind, she will likely hit last and be a part time player. The coach is doing you a favor and will likely not just insert your daughter into the starting lineup and disrupt his/her team. If you aren't comfortable with that, then I'd have her guest until your team starts playing.

Oct 14, 2020
I have a 2nd year 14s 8th grader.

A lot of the teams will have them play with their first year team here for fall (fall high school) or kids will join a regular team and guest play for fall. I spent a lot of time finding a team and lucked out as we have an 8th grade majority 09 team that played a full fall comp schedule.

Is it just usssa holding out at this point on aligning dates closer to grad year?

I’m curious what others say too about the older grades.
Isn't it only USA Softball who changed things?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Spring of 8th grade 14U is always a little wonky. So many things can happen in the next 2 years. I wouldn't be too concerned. In all reality we are talking about a several months in the spring right? But if your team actually stays intact when this time comes, you should have several options to play.

Go pick up on another team.
Maybe you switched teams or the team dynamics changed and you don't move.
Pick up younger players from other teams facing the same situation. Hybrid team.

Apr 14, 2022
Many teams face the same situation so opportunities to sub are pretty open.

As far as recruiting there are a couple of reasons college players are disproportionately Jan - Aug birthdays.

A player may have to wait until the age advantage becomes small to play for the right team or look elite. That window to get noticed can be smaller.

Dec 6, 2019
Ages of children will span a 2 year time period in any given class, especially as more and more children redshirt kindergarten. This is a silly thing to chase.

Jan 20, 2023
Ages of children will span a 2 year time period in any given class, especially as more and more children redshirt kindergarten. This is a silly thing to chase.

I think it depends on your goal. If you are only caring about the pointy end of the spectrum and college recruiting maybe so. But for kids at the lower level getting to play with kids in their grade I think it’s a better experience and may help retain kids. Why should 3-4 months of kids not get to play with their school friends? My kid has always hated it. I think it made her a better player- but that’s not always the point. And the fact she was the tallest kid in her class all through elementary school made it not a big deal for her.

Our local league followed USA because especially in rec that’s what families wanted. Perfect game also followed. Not sure on others.

I don’t think it’s silly to try to align to have the best user experience - which seems pretty clear to let kids play with kids in their grade.

What is the benefit of using birth year?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles