ULL Ragin' Cajun Split Grip Batting Techique

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
basically, it is the style of hitting that Ty Cobb advocated.

I thought that also at one time. Cobb used the 'split grip' to start but, didn't hit/swing with a split grip.
oaxf06.gif

24cv1xe.gif

Cobb slides his hands together prior during launch.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
That's great that it works for her!
I ordered a $7 bat knob taper for my DD's Xeno to see if the Overlap Grip/UL-L plit grip works for her, as it does for me. If not...oh well...
I've been hitting balls off and on all day long, with those grips and it's weird how well you can control the bat head with that split grip.
It literally never crossed my mind to try the split grip, until I saw UL-L use it.

Where did you get yours at? I might be interested in getting one for my bat. Also how ard are they to put them on and how do you put one on?

Oct 2, 2015
$7 + shipping off of Amazon.
I think you just use a soap to slide it over the bat knob.
I'll post pics when I get it this week.

May 22, 2015
Illinois
DD uses a split grip. I would say she has about an inch between her hands...maybe a little less. She has changed quite a bit about how she goes about hitting over the last 8 months or so, and none of it came from me lol. She slaps, opened up her stance, uses a split grip, and has her back elbow pretty high. Coming from a baseball background it is a little unorthodox, but she's comfortable with it and it is working for her.

IMG_0293_2.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2015
The first of the bat tapers showed up today.
This one is the Knobcuff.
You apply water to the inside of the Knobcuff and slide it on over the bat knob.
You're going to want to sit down and hold the bat head firmly between your knees.
Once I did that, it took about 5 seconds to get the taper over the bat knob.
Dry the water off as best as you can...it works great.
Now swinging the bat with an Overlap grip with a split grip as well, it almost feels weird holding your hands together on the bat handle.
Lots of bat head control.
But it takes a little while to get your timing right when you turn the barrel to the ball.
I have the DD start working with it, and see how well the Overlap/Split grip works for her.

Oct 2, 2015
I was wrong the Grip-n-Rip is $5 + shipping, on Amazon.
These are kind of a bugger to put on.
First roll the Grip-n-Rip bat taper, inside out.
Put water on the bat knob and the bat taper.
Please hold onto the bat very firmly when putting this on.
I don't know how well the Zepp is going to work with an Overlap grip though...

It's very easy for me to use the split grip with the Over lap grip, Since I used to normally hold a bat with an Overlap grip.
My oldest DD has been trying the swing every once in a while to slowly get used to it...It'll be a while before we can get out and see the results on the practice field.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12