Batting out of order

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
In USA softball, which is the only one I do these days, if the defense reports an unreported sub after a hit and before the next pitch, the unreported sub is in the game, but their hit is negated; they are out. Other outs stand and runners return to base at time of pitch. Pretty serious penalty in USA softball.
I think it should be a serious penalty in high school. It should be treated similarly to batting out of order IMO

Aug 25, 2019
USSSA RULES:

Sec 5. SUBSTITUTE - A player who replaces a player that is in the game (offense or defense) is a substitute. Teams are required to immediately report all substitutions to the Plate Umpire. Upon notification by either team, the Umpire shall announce the legal substitute and make the appropriate lineup card changes. An unreported legal substitute brought to the Umpire’s attention will result in a penalty, all prior play shall stand. PENALTY: For unreported substitution, First offense: A team warning is issued. Second offense: The head coach is ejected for remainder of the game only.

Jun 20, 2015
we had this occur last fall. opposing time inserted a sub into the game on defense. never informed blue. She came up to bat, in the spot she was inserted. My score keeper started going crazy. I'm like, 'just hush'. Believe we ended up walking her. After she got to 1b. I asked for time and asked blue if there had been a sub in the batting order for player #XX versus #YY that had just walked. Opposing HC then jumped up, "Oh yeah I forgot to report the insertion". YY is out. third out inning over. Opposition coach about lost his mind about how could we point that out to the umpire and how bush league of us for taking that out. etc.

Believe the game was tight 3-2 or 4-3 before the incident. Believe we batted for the remainder of the time limit and game ended say approx 7-3.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
So what happens if a coach forgets to report the pinch hitter (who is a legal substitute), then, after 1 pitch, realizes his mistake. So he calls time, then reports the sub before the defensive team even notices or says anything?

Jun 22, 2008
The coach has corrected the mistake before being discovered by the opposing team, no penalty.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28