Batting out of order

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I was reading through the batting out of order rules again. I knew this, but I'm trying to think of a situation it would actually apply.

So if the improper batter is still batting, if either the offense or defense alerts the umpire, the proper batter takes her place, assumes the count, no penalty. Makes sense.

But why would the defense ever do this? Is there any strategic reason I'm missing for the defensive team to say anything? Isn't it always the correct move for the defense to just allow the at bat to complete, and then alert the umpire (depending on the result of the bat bat; I know in certain situations you actually want the play to stand)?

I guess the only thing I can think of is if the team on offense is trying something egregious: B6 is supposed to be up, and 6-9 in the order can't hit, so the offense tries to have B1 come up to bat. In that case, you'd want to rectify immediately so you don't normalize the "new" order. I think.

May 29, 2015
The scenario you present is the only time I can think of it being beneficial to the defense to correct the error while the batter is at the plate.

Most of the time I have encountered the defense speaking up during the at bat, they didn't know how the rule worked and then had a fit when I wouldn't call the batter out.

Oct 26, 2019
You always wait until the batter gets a hit or on base to point it out. If you get her out - who cares if she wasnt the right batter :)

Oct 24, 2010
You always wait until the batter gets a hit or on base to point it out. If you get her out - who cares if she wasnt the right batter :)

Mostly true. In CoachJD's scenario, B6 is supposed to be at bat, but B1 bats. The defense should appeal when B1 completes the at-bat, even if B1 is put out. If the next pitch is delivered to anyone, the defense loses the right to appeal B1 batting out-of-turn and B2 is now the proper batter. The offense has cleverly skipped B6-B9. Appealing before the next pitch results in B6 ruled out and B7 bats next.

In codes where additional outs on the bases are negated, you would have to balance losing outs against picking up the order with B2.

Speculation: You might appeal B1 batting out-of-turn while still in the box if your pitch sequence would be a disadvantage with runners on base as opposed to B6 in the box. Balance that against losing a sure out.

Oct 26, 2019
Yes you are correct. I did not read completely and assumed it was batters batting in reverse order and not skipping entire sections of the lineup.

Mar 14, 2017
Michigan
Most of the time I have encountered the defense speaking up during the at bat, they didn't know how the rule worked and then had a fit when I wouldn't call the batter out.

Sadly, I watched umps screw this up twice in the same season. Both times the batter was called out even though she hadn't completed the at bat. Once B9 batted in front of B8, and the ump f'ed it up so bad that he called the batter (B9) out with an 0-2 count. Then put B1 up to
bat, but made her assume the 0-2 count. My head almost exploded.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Sadly, I watched umps screw this up twice in the same season. Both times the batter was called out even though she hadn't completed the at bat. Once B9 batted in front of B8, and the ump f'ed it up so bad that he called the batter (B9) out with an 0-2 count. Then put B1 up to
bat, but made her assume the 0-2 count. My head almost exploded.

OK, so just so I have this right: Let's say B9 finished the AB...

1) B9 finishes the AB by striking out or otherwise making an out that doesn't involve any runners advancing. The defense alerts the umpire. The umpire calls out B8. Does this mean B9 bats again, this time legally? In this situation, assuming B9 is a typical B9, the defense should alert the umpire, correct? (thinking of a situation where maybe B3 is up, B4 bats in her place, B4 strikes out, and maybe the defensive team does NOT want to alert the umpire because so B4 doesn't get to bat again).

2) B9 gets on base. Defense alerts ump. B8 is called out, B9 returns...to bat again? And any other runners return to their spots?

I guess what I'm getting at is, in a "simple" batting out of order where just 1 person is skipped and the next batter in line is hitting, if the defense waits until after the at bat, the same hitter will bat, this time legally. Is that correct?

(btw, related to your situation: We had a situation this year where B4 was up. B5 batted instead. I waited until she finished the AB, which resulted in her getting on and multiple runs scoring. I believe the umpire called B5 out, returned the runners, and then B6 was up. I was pretty sure this was wrong, but I wasn't exactly sure how, and anyway, it likely benefited us since that team had a very weak bottom of the order)

Oct 24, 2010
When properly appealed, batting out-of-order results in the player who SHOULD HAVE BATTED being called out and the player that follows now bats. Add to that, all runners return and depending on the code, keep outs on players who started on the bases.

OK, so just so I have this right: Let's say B9 finished the AB...

1) B9 finishes the AB by striking out or otherwise making an out that doesn't involve any runners advancing. The defense alerts the umpire. The umpire calls out B8. Does this mean B9 bats again, this time legally? In this situation, assuming B9 is a typical B9, the defense should alert the umpire, correct? (thinking of a situation where maybe B3 is up, B4 bats in her place, B4 strikes out, and maybe the defensive team does NOT want to alert the umpire because so B4 doesn't get to bat again).

2) B9 gets on base. Defense alerts ump. B8 is called out, B9 returns...to bat again? And any other runners return to their spots?

I guess what I'm getting at is, in a "simple" batting out of order where just 1 person is skipped and the next batter in line is hitting, if the defense waits until after the at bat, the same hitter will bat, this time legally. Is that correct?

In both these cases, B9 is batting for B8 and completes the at-bat. Properly appealed, B8 is declared out and B9 bats again.

(btw, related to your situation: We had a situation this year where B4 was up. B5 batted instead. I waited until she finished the AB, which resulted in her getting on and multiple runs scoring. I believe the umpire called B5 out, returned the runners, and then B6 was up. I was pretty sure this was wrong, but I wasn't exactly sure how, and anyway, it likely benefited us since that team had a very weak bottom of the order)

Right rule, wrong application. B4 should be declared out for not batting, runners return, B5 bats again. Putting B6 in the box gets the umpire in a fine pickle. Save him by pointing out B5 should bat.

Oct 14, 2019
is there anything to prevent the pitcher from hitting the improper batter (accidentally on purpose) to speed up the end of the at bat? if runners advanced by reason of a passed ball during the at bat would they have to return to the base occupied at the beginning of the at bat?

Oct 24, 2010
is there anything to prevent the pitcher from hitting the improper batter (accidentally on purpose) to speed up the end of the at bat? if runners advanced by reason of a passed ball during the at bat would they have to return to the base occupied at the beginning of the at bat?

Sportsmanship. x2 or 5.

Runners that advance during the at-bat as a result of steals, wild pitch, or passed ball stay at their new base.
The USA softball wording is "Any runner advanced and runs scored while the incorrect batter was at bat shall be legal."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott