Batting out of order

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2013
You always wait until the batter gets a hit or on base to point it out. If you get her out - who cares if she wasnt the right batter :)
You wait, but you still care who is up. If they skipped 6-7-8 and had 9 bat and you say nothing then the leadoff hitter is legally up next.

May 29, 2015
I've had that cluster ... of course.

Wrong batter, defense HC realizes it, asks for "time." I grant it. He says "Put her on!"
Me: "Sorry coach, you have to throw the pitches."
DHC: "I can't just put her on?"
Me: "In high school ball you could, but not USA."

At this point, the offense is aware something is up. Their bookkeeper notifies their coach while the DHC is arguing his case. I break the chat with the DHC and start to get back in position ... and hear the offense's head coach ask for "time." I grant it.

OHC: "I have the wrong batter up."
Me: "OK, who should we have?"

At this point, the defense's bookkeeper and assistant coaches (and parents) are starting to squawk. Fortunately their head coach knew the rule and put a quick end to it.

The DHC stopped on his way out between innings. "I shouldn't have asked for time, should I?" I shrugged. "Could we have hit her?" I shrugged and offered, "If you had just thrown the four pitches without calling time, they wouldn't have caught it."

Jan 28, 2017
Almost ever HS game this year the wrong # has batted but according to the coach the correct player. Drives me crazy.

Aug 20, 2017
Here’s on you all need to know:
Let’s say you pinch hit for batter 9. Let’s say you forget to report the sub to the umpire. Let’s say the sub gets a hit. Let’s say the opposing team claims batting out of order. Not the case. It’s an unreported sub, warning, no penalty. I’ve used this against the opposing team more than once. Umpires and opposing coaches agreed with batting out of order. Don’t “at me” for doing that 😆

Oct 11, 2018
Here’s on you all need to know:
Let’s say you pinch hit for batter 9. Let’s say you forget to report the sub to the umpire. Let’s say the sub gets a hit. Let’s say the opposing team claims batting out of order. Not the case. It’s an unreported sub, warning, no penalty. I’ve used this against the opposing team more than once. Umpires and opposing coaches agreed with batting out of order. Don’t “at me” for doing that 😆
I assume you are talking HS rules here, becasue other sanctions have penalties for unreported subs.

Oct 11, 2018
Correct. Checked the rule on NFHS. What are penalties in other sanctions?
In USA softball, which is the only one I do these days, if the defense reports an unreported sub after a hit and before the next pitch, the unreported sub is in the game, but their hit is negated; they are out. Other outs stand and runners return to base at time of pitch. Pretty serious penalty in USA softball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles