Louisiana Lafayette split grip technique...anyone use it or have DD use it?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
What I am saying is your credit of Lotief may be a little premature when it comes to this young lady. And yes many prospects do not pan out at the next level. But I can also show you a ton of data of freshman hitters who "struggled" their first year to go on to have great careers. Elkins has always been a great hitter.. it's not like Lotief took somebody who didn't know how to swing a bat and developed her into a superstar.. I was just showing that she has a history of swinging a good stick. Also lets not forget she was a underage player ... playing one of the most demanding and cerebral positions on the field. One year experience under her belt makes a big difference at such a young age.

But since I know nothing about Lotief.. educate me. What does he teach and how it's applicable to Elkins

The first post in this thread states how UL lead the NCAA in homerun’s for a few years straight, or something to that nature.... This was under Lotief’s guidance. IMO this wasn’t due to him recruiting super star HS or TB players but because of his knowledge towards the swing. Like I said earlier in the thread he didn’t recruit “High” profile hitters. He recruited young ladies that fit the mold he was looking for (for the most part). I mean every team needs a few pure athletes, which is the area UL suffered in the most during his coaching days IMO. 90% of his players were girls you probably never heard of and he would turn them into hitters, plain and simple. Now you take someone with the athletic ability of Lexie Elkins and incorporate his system you get one of the most dominating hitters to ever play the game. Lotief is VERY secretive of his theory and thoughts concerning the swing. So TBH I can’t tell you exactly what he teaches but his teams/players accomplishments speak for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 11, 2010
Coach Lotief had to have a tall order getting players to come to Lafayette. That had to be a necessary part of his plan. I did some googling on Lafayette and it scared me off.

He was a heck of a nice man on the recruiting trail. My older dd was still playing college ball, was standing behind the backstop watching her sister play and struck up a conversation with ”somebody’s grandpa“. It was Lotief. I thought she was shaking him down for some of that secretive hitting info but no.... They were just visiting. They were talking about that lady’s dog over there, how we were playing right next to a prison and whatever was for dinner. Sigh.

I said “You didn’t notice the shirt?“ Not really. I said, “you know that coach we talk about that hits all the homers with a split grip? Wants his players to ‘get around the ball but just a little bit’? THAT WAS HIM!”

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2015
South East
Coach Lotief had to have a tall order getting players to come to Lafayette. That had to be a necessary part of his plan. I did some googling and it scared me off.

He was a heck of a nice man on the recruiting trail. My older dd was still playing college ball, was standing behind the backstop watching her sister play and struck up a conversation with ”somebody’s grandpa“. It was Lotief. I thought she was shaking him down for some of that secretive hitting info but no.... They were just visiting. They were talking about that lady’s dog over there, how we were playing right next to a prison and whatever was for dinner. Sigh.

I said “You didn’t notice the shirt?“ Not really. I said, “you know that coach we talk about that hits all the homers with a split grip? Wants his players to ‘get around the ball but just a little bit’? THAT WAS HIM!”

Most people in my area that follow softball either loved him or hated him, there was no grey area. I personally never had a bad encounter with the man. Most people around the country thought he was nuts due to the pattern/style that his players used. So I am probably a little biased on giving him as much credit as I have but I can guarantee that his players weren’t in the UL pattern before they arrived at there. This includes Lexie, which she didn’t have a bad freshman year at Tech, she just didn’t hit for any power. Was this due to Tech’s philosophy maybe IDK but she like the other players swung the bat in the pattern Lotief taught her.

May 12, 2016
My understanding of Lotief's system is focusing on putting the ball in play..
Most people in my area that follow softball either loved him or hated him, there was no grey area. I personally never had a bad encounter with the man. Most people around the country thought he was nuts due to the pattern/style that his players used. So I am probably a little biased on giving him as much credit as I have but I can guarantee that his players weren’t in the UL pattern before they arrived at there. This includes Lexie, which she didn’t have a bad freshman year at Tech, she just didn’t hit for any power. Was this due to Tech’s philosophy maybe IDK but she like the other players swung the bat in the pattern Lotief taught her.

Sounds like you know much more about the man then I do..

Can you explain how Lexie's pattern changed from Tech to UL?

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Coach Lotief had to have a tall order getting players to come to Lafayette. That had to be a necessary part of his plan. I did some googling on Lafayette and it scared me off.

Can I ask what you read that scared you off so much? I dont live in Lafayette but I do work in that area quite a bit and have to say that its a place I wouldnt have objections to my family and I living if needed. The only big issue I see with the area is being so heavily focused on the oil industry that tons of people are moving in and out of the area all the time.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
My understanding of Lotief's system is focusing on putting the ball in play..

Sounds like you know much more about the man then I do..

Can you explain how Lexie's pattern changed from Tech to UL?

We would need video from Tech........ The article below refers to major changes without going into details........ Like I said VERY secretive, players were not allowed to really discuss or elaborate on the things they did

Dec 11, 2010
@JOHNN

I remember thinking that it looked like there was a fair amount of crime near campus. That may not be correct.

I probably should not have posted that. I am more sensitive to stuff like that than most people are.

BTW, I think I may have been a Cajun in a past life. Have been to LSU and New Orleans a couple times. I’m not into the Bourbon Street type scene but that area really feels like home and it feels like I’m with my people when I’m there. Maybe it’s because I’m from a river town....

Mar 28, 2014
There's no way anyone can deny that he is a fantastic coach. It's why he and Stefni put together a powerhouse program at a place like Lafayette. Who else has done something like that? Put a Non P5 team in the Top 10 year after year? Great coaching.

He owns a Fried Chicken place now in Lafayette called Fat Albert's Fried Chicken. Go see him if you are down that way.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
@JOHNN

I remember thinking that it looked like there was a fair amount of crime near campus. That may not be correct.

I probably should not have posted that. I am more sensitive to stuff like that than most people are.

BTW, I think I may have been a Cajun in a past life. Have been to LSU and New Orleans a couple times. I’m not into the Bourbon Street type scene but that area really feels like home and it feels like I’m with my people when I’m there. Maybe it’s because I’m from a river town....

Sure every city has its sections where there is crime and Lafayette is no different. But I can tell you from a perspective of you being from a river town, youd really like it there. I work in sales and lets just say Id MUCH rather go out to Lafayette and the surrounding areas as compared to (just an example) the greater New Orleans area. Its just a totally different clientele and mindset. Despite how much its grown, Lafayette still actually has that laid back, good ole country boy feel to it. I think that also has to do with it having such a huge middle class population being that the major focus is oil field related and farming.

And believe me, you arent the only one who isnt into the Bourbon St scene. Did it once and have no need to go again. And I live pretty much between New Orleans and Lafayette.

Dec 11, 2010
Hey I was kind of thinking about deleting my post because of the (unintentional) shot I took at Lafayette but I think I will leave it there. That way people can kinda see how just googling something might not be the best plan.

I apologize for being thoughtless- years ago I posted a ”if you are coming to Bloomington/Normal for ASA Nationals, welcome and here’s some things you can do and places to eat” and I took some flak about how much Blo/No sucks, lol. Even though Blo/No DOES kinda suck, I felt a little bad about it, lol

I really like Louisiana. I’m a member of a duck boat forum based in south Louisiana and even though I dont have a boat like that I love the pictures of the area, cypress trees, pictures of crawfishing and gator hunting. Here’s the prob- I’m scared of snakes. I probably couldn’t go in those swamps without dying of fright.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812