Early bat speed - does it exist?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
He says the word "torque", but there is no demonstration of what he means at any point in that video. Hardly a "whoa" moment...
The point was that W=W says no professional talks about torquing with the hands is all. I'm not here to ague one way or another. Because everybody has different views on the swing in which they are hellbent on that will not change. That being said those views cannot mesh with each other. In my opinion pick the way you feel fits the player and go with it.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I was thinking the other day (That could be dangerous ;)), when we say a pro doesn't talk about doing something such as torquing the barrel or feeling or performing certain body movements. That's probably because that's all they do, and they've been doing since 5yrs old. As a pro for hours multiple days out of the week. It's no different than walking, do we really feel all the muscles contracting and what not? No. So then what do we do as observers? We say that is just naturally happening, they aren't actuall torquing the bat etc. Well maybe they actually are, its just that a pro no longer feels themselves having to perform it any longer because its as we say second nature.

but there have been multiple examples of the bat not being torqued CL. Why does obvious escape folks when talking hitting ? The barrel doesn’t pick up speed until the core turns. In any good swings.

why do folks ignore video ?

Jun 8, 2016
but there have been multiple examples of the bat not being torqued CL. Why does obvious escape folks when talking hitting ? The barrel doesn’t pick up speed until the core turns. In any good swings.

If the barrel is to be accelerated at launch like you said, it is picking up speed from the beginning.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If the barrel is to be accelerated at launch like you said, it is picking up speed from the beginning.

ok. Doesn’t mean it’s intentional with the hands. The body’s turn is what gets the barrel accelerating. why do you think so many folks speak of ‘connection’ ? So the arms can connect to the torsos’ turn maybe?

Oct 2, 2017

I don't think anybody that believes there is toque happening deny that the core etc. turns first. That does not mean that there is no torque involved by the hands. I don't know why you can't see that. And I don't know what makes you the one who KNOWS what they are doing more than anyone else.

Jun 8, 2016
ok. Doesn’t mean it’s intentional with the hands. The body’s turn is what gets the barrel accelerating. why do you think so many folks speak of ‘connection’ ? So the arms can connect to the torsos’ turn maybe?
I think there is no way to tell from video alone whether early acceleration is from core pulling only or a combination of hand/wrist/forearm and a pulling core.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't think anybody that believes there is toque happening deny that the core etc. turns first. That does not mean that there is no torque involved by the hands. I don't know why you can't see that. And I don't know what makes you the one who KNOWS what they are doing more than anyone else.

you guys keep saying that I’m saying I know all. I just give evidence to why things happen. It happens to match what’s on video? And what pros say they do ? Go figure.

If you have video evidence of pros flipping the bat at the ball please post so I could see what I’m missing. I have never said I know everything.

But people who have done it longer and more than just with their kid probably do know a bit more than just a dad. Dontcha think?

why would you need hand torque with core torque? You wouldn’t. What you are missing is the actual core torque so you need to flip the hands at the ball via ‘torque’. The hands can ‘get’ torqued I guess. I’ll give you that. But very different than active torque. Angles and length in the swing will be an issue. The sequence will be off.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
I think there is no way to tell from video alone whether early acceleration is from core pulling only or a combination of hand/wrist/forearm and a pulling core.

Any good "checked swing" videos? I would think that if the bat moves down/behind (?) without the elbow slotting in a checked swing it would be evidence of a torquing effort.

Oct 2, 2017
you guys keep saying that I’m saying I know all. I just give evidence to why things happen. It happens to match what’s on video? And what pros say they do ? Go figure.

If you have video evidence of pros flipping the bat at the ball please post so I could see what I’m missing. I have never said I know everything.

But people who have done it longer and more than just with their kid probably do know a bit more than just a dad. Dontcha think?

why would you need hand torque with core torque? You wouldn’t. What you are missing is the actual core torque so you need to flip the hands at the ball via ‘torque’. The hands can ‘get’ torqued I guess. I’ll give you that. But very different than active torque. Angles and length in the swing will be an issue. The sequence will be off.

I've said before that both of us can watch the same video and see 2 different things. I addressed the possibility of why the pros say what they do earlier.

What person says flipping the bat at the ball? Anyone? No, not a single person here ever has said or believed in flipping their hands or bat at the ball.

I'm humble enough to admit that there are more knowledgeble people than me concerning hitting. But to all the Dads who are on here by what you just said, means they don't know jack and their opinion is invalid or of less value.

You're are assuming that a person wouldn't. Like I said just because you have "Core Torque" doesn't mean that you cannot have "Hand Torque". You assume that everyone believes the hands are just static and do nothing. You assume that angles and length in the swing will be a issue and that sequence will be off. It will not be off because the actions and intent of what the body does starts in the brain, but who am I. but a Dad who only works with their kid.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I've said before that both of us can watch the same video and see 2 different things. I addressed the possibility of why the pros say what they do earlier.

What person says flipping the bat at the ball? Anyone? No, not a single person here ever has said or believed in flipping their hands or bat at the ball.

I'm humble enough to admit that there are more knowledgeble people than me concerning hitting. But to all the Dads who are on here by what you just said, means they don't know jack and their opinion is invalid or of less value.

You're are assuming that a person wouldn't. Like I said just because you have "Core Torque" doesn't mean that you cannot have "Hand Torque". You assume that everyone believes the hands are just static and do nothing. You assume that angles and length in the swing will be a issue and that sequence will be off. It will not be off because the actions and intent of what the body does starts in the brain, but who am I. but a Dad who only works with their kid.

instead of the personal attacks, how about you post some evidence of what you think to be true.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles