Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I tend to ask between innings in a coy kinda way. After I ask if they want a water of course. LOL
If you want to coyly argue balls and strikes in between innings after offering me a water, I’ll politely tell you to go back to the bench. If you want to do it in between games while I’m trying to wolf down a hot dog, I might not be so polite. (I mean, I personally would probably just walk away). If you have some serious or legitimate concern about my competence, my number is on the sleeve, tell the UIC, but don’t harass someone while they’re eating their lunch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Eric F watch the video again objectively. Like it’s not your dd. Just a regular player. Think about the situation. What do you see?

On another note. If the mechanics are a bit long. Approach will suffer. Might be the case. Notice that all her contact is out front. Could be an approach thing or a spacing thing. Anyway good talk.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
How does that work out for you? 😂

It’s really in how you do it. I’m pleasant w the ump the entire time. I’ll ask how much is that thing moving? Where is she hitting the spot at? I’ll say thank you and adjust the kids if needed. With me just mentioning it, plants the seed. Maybe he gets a little more objective when we need it.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you want to coyly argue balls and strikes in between innings after offering me a water, I’ll politely tell you to go back to the bench. If you want to do it in between games while I’m trying to wolf down a hot dog, I might not be so polite. (I mean, I personally would probably just walk away). If you have some serious or legitimate concern about my competence, my number is on the sleeve, tell the UIC, but don’t harass someone while they’re eating their lunch.

I inquire. Plants the seed. Works most of the time. I don’t argue w the ump. He feels pressure already if he’s a good ump. I’m not that guy.

edit: would never want an umpire job. It’s quite difficult.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
you have already acknowledged the hole in Maddies’ zone. But she still chased her weakness w less than 2 strikes. Bc she expanded her zone right? Why would you swing at your ‘worst’ pitch without being forced to??? Let that soak in for a second.
What’s your point, Dub? Are we turning this into a discussion about my kid’s weaknesses? i presented a framework for an AB approach that I agree with, and continues to serve my kid pretty well. Instead of nit-picking about one pitch where my kid got beat (despite it being a very successful AB) how about laying out an approach that you like to see in your DD/players?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
@Eric F watch the video again objectively. Like it’s not your dd. Just a regular player. Think about the situation. What do you see?

On another note. If the mechanics are a bit long. Approach will suffer. Might be the case. Notice that all her contact is out front. Could be an approach thing or a spacing thing. Anyway good talk.

I see a player who came up in a tough spot, got down 0-2, competed, and barely missed a grand slam.

As for the other note...At the time of the video, her long mechanics and poor approach had resulted in more HRs than singles, and an almost .500 batting average. Currently, she still leads her team in average, power, and most offensive stat categories. I really don't see a reason to make any changes in approach or mechanics.

You have repeatedly attempted to poke holes in content I've shared that I have found to be helpful/successful for my DD during her journey. I have never said that the way my DD learned is the only way, or that I'm more knowledgeable than anyone else. Maybe someone will find what I've shared useful. Maybe not. I'm fine either way. You are being critical as if you have superior knowledge. Maybe you do. I haven't discounted that possibility, either. If you have a better approach that works well for your DD/players, please share. I am interested to see video of your approach in action, and I'm interested to learn something that might be helpful for my DD.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I see a player who came up in a tough spot, got down 0-2, competed, and barely missed a grand slam.

As for the other note...At the time of the video, her long mechanics and poor approach had resulted in more HRs than singles, and an almost .500 batting average. Currently, she still leads her team in average, power, and most offensive stat categories. I really don't see a reason to make any changes in approach or mechanics.

You have repeatedly attempted to poke holes in content I've shared that I have found to be helpful/successful for my DD during her journey. I have never said that the way my DD learned is the only way, or that I'm more knowledgeable than anyone else. Maybe someone will find what I've shared useful. Maybe not. I'm fine either way. You are being critical as if you have superior knowledge. Maybe you do. I haven't discounted that possibility, either. If you have a better approach that works well for your DD/players, please share. I am interested to see video of your approach in action, and I'm interested to learn something that might be helpful for my DD.

you tend too see everything as a dad Eric that’s the issue. That’s why It seems that I poke holes. It’s hard to have any kind of objective discussion w you. Your ego gets in the way most of the time.

at most winning programs at the 18u level and college, that ‘me’ approach w the game on the line would be frowned upon. Usually resulting in a tongue lashing and maybe a benching of some sort.

I merely put on the table an advanced approach which all high level travel ball, college bound players will adhere to.

what your dd did happened to my kid last season. Trying to make an impression on her new coach. Benched for 21/2 weeks. She should know better but let herself get before the team. That do damage approach comes w a high price tag most of the time. Barrel control and team ball is very real at the upper levels. It’s not a maverick kinda game. Ever see the Corona Angels play? Batbusters? They all go D1 quickly. Team ball is how they play. Coaches like that. It’s WINNING softball. HRs are usually mistakes.

It’s not that I’m superior(that’s your own hang up). I’m just more experienced. I’ve been where you’re going.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
you tend too see everything as a dad Eric that’s the issue. That’s why It seems that I poke holes. It’s hard to have any kind of objective discussion w you. Your ego gets in the way most of the time.

at most winning programs at the 18u level and college, that ‘me’ approach w the game on the line would be frowned upon. Usually resulting in a tongue lashing and maybe a benching of some sort.

I merely put on the table an advanced approach which all high level travel ball, college bound players will adhere to.

what your dd did happened to my kid last season. Trying to make an impression on her new coach. Benched for 21/2 weeks. She should know better but let herself get before the team. That do damage approach comes w a high price tag most of the time. Barrel control and team ball is very real at the upper levels. It’s not a maverick kinda game. Ever see the Corona Angels play? Batbusters? They all go D1 quickly. Team ball is how they play. Coaches like that. It’s WINNING softball. HRs are usually mistakes.

It’s not that I’m superior(that’s your own hang up). I’m just more experienced. I’ve been where you’re going.
“Me approach”? WTF are you talking about?? It’s a good hitter battling. While playing for one of the top Batbusters teams a couple of years ago, my DD had a very similar AB battle, with a similar result, and was highly praised for her result.

So what approach do you teach? You continue to criticize my DD’s approach - which is based on what she learned from a coach who was in the game for 35 years - but haven’t laid out any details about what is better, based on your superior experience. There’s nothing I can learn if you don’t offer any content.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
“Me approach”? WTF are you talking about?? It’s a good hitter battling. While playing for one of the top Batbusters teams a couple of years ago, my DD had a very similar AB battle, with a similar result, and was highly praised for her result.

So what approach do you teach? You continue to criticize my DD’s approach - which is based on what she learned from a coach who was in the game for 35 years - but haven’t laid out any details about what is better, based on your superior experience. There’s nothing I can learn if you don’t offer any content.

Game is on the line and you’re swinging for the fences? You don’t see anything wrong w that? If you don’t our discussion is over. Hope everything works out for her.

I’ve already posted what I teach. I don’t teach pulling the first and third pitch down the line swinging outta my shoes. I don’t teach swinging at a change up in the dirt wo having to. I eliminate half the zone and stay up the middle. The swing stays short.

keep in mind this is an ‘approach’ thread, not the ‘brag’ section.

Jun 8, 2016
keep in mind this is an ‘approach’ thread, not the ‘brag’ section.
That's my line...you didn't ask permission to use it.

That said you previously mentioned her underlying mechanics, which you appear to have some issue with, so perhaps you are confusing approach and mechanics here ;) I agree (and Eric would as well probably) that swinging at a low and outside CU with less than 2 strikes is typically not a good approach. I don't know what the situation was exactly, but it looks like the IF was playing in so it must have been late so in that situation if you are looking at approach you typically want to get a pitch you can get in the air to the OF (kid doesn't look like a strikeout pitcher so the pitch selection is a bit odd to me based upon what I just said..or maybe she just couldn't locate..anyway) The other results you may not like but that may be more a function of what you don't like about her mechanics vs her "approach".

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA