She finally understands,you get what you put in.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 26, 2024
My DD has taken an extremely wild jump in development in the last 10 months. My daughter has played ball since Tball but she has never had an interest besides wanting to do flips in the outfield and build dirt castles. 3 years ago a group of girls my daughters age who made. all stars in rec ball decided to build a travel team. Well fall of 2022 my daughter comes to me and says she wants to join that team and play for them the next spring and summer. I had to break it down that she couldn’t bc was not good enough and has not put in the work to be able to play for a team like that. This team is now a 10U Team, my daughter has only played rec ball. When she was picked for rec ball in march of 2023 she come to me and told me she wants to start training and working. Long story short she goes from not good at all rec ball girl who is 8 to a a Low C class 8U Team. she is 7-8 best on team by the end of the fall season she is one of top girls. The team takes off for the winter except my daughter she never took a break so now she has to step up to 10U bc she turned 9 in november. This team she wants to play on is a good 10U team but they are full. So i didn’t think she would get to play bc we only had one local 10 U team. So i decided to reach out on FB to a group there to see if someone needed another girl who knows how to work. She has 10 teams reach out bc of two videos i posted of her. She has a few tryouts and she decided to choose one of the top 2013 10U teams in the state. It truly blew my mind how she went into this tryout with the confidence that she would make this team bc of the work she has put in. She gets three offers from three different teams and chooses the strongest team bc she wants to train with the best competition she can. It’s just wild what hard work and determination can do in such young girls. 8U Rec ball kid who was terrible to 1 fall season as 8U C class travel to Top tier 2nd year team in the state in 10U all in the matter of 10 months. I am the proudest father bc she finally understands how important work ethic and determination is in success. She was never forced to practice. She may be a little obsessive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 1, 2019
MN
My DD has taken an extremely wild jump in development in the last 10 months. My daughter has played ball since Tball but she has never had an interest besides wanting to do flips in the outfield and build dirt castles. 3 years ago a group of girls my daughters age who made. all stars in rec ball decided to build a travel team. Well fall of 2022 my daughter comes to me and says she wants to join that team and play for them the next spring and summer. I had to break it down that she couldn’t bc was not good enough and has not put in the work to be able to play for a team like that. This team is now a 10U Team, my daughter has only played rec ball. When she was picked for rec ball in march of 2023 she come to me and told me she wants to start training and working. Long story short she goes from not good at all rec ball girl who is 8 to a a Low C class 8U Team. she is 7-8 best on team by the end of the fall season she is one of top girls. The team takes off for the winter except my daughter she never took a break so now she has to step up to 10U bc she turned 9 in november. This team she wants to play on is a good 10U team but they are full. So i didn’t think she would get to play bc we only had one local 10 U team. So i decided to reach out on FB to a group there to see if someone needed another girl who knows how to work. She has 10 teams reach out bc of two videos i posted of her. She has a few tryouts and she decided to choose one of the top 2013 10U teams in the state. It truly blew my mind how she went into this tryout with the confidence that she would make this team bc of the work she has put in. She gets three offers from three different teams and chooses the strongest team bc she wants to train with the best competition she can. It’s just wild what hard work and determination can do in such young girls. 8U Rec ball kid who was terrible to 1 fall season as 8U C class travel to Top tier 2nd year team in the state in 10U all in the matter of 10 months. I am the proudest father bc she finally understands how important work ethic and determination is in success. She was never forced to practice. She may be a little obsessive.

That's Great!
If you ever find the location of that switch to flip on a kid, let the rest of us know.

Jan 25, 2022
Mine is a nearly 16 year old pitcher and maybe, MAYBE the switch flipped a few weeks ago. She's made more progress since that time than probably the past 3 months if not more. Her hitting instructor, who is early 20's (much more of a softball role model than me), helped her reframe how she views pitching and extra work. The attitude has been a night and day difference since then, and she makes a ton of progress when she's happy.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD played 8U as a pitcher with coach backup. She got to 10U and was on her own. 10U did not go well for her.

She had a decision to make, Practice or quit pitching. She chose practicing.

Jan 26, 2024
Mine is a nearly 16 year old pitcher and maybe, MAYBE the switch flipped a few weeks ago. She's made more progress since that time than probably the past 3 months if not more. Her hitting instructor, who is early 20's (much more of a softball role model than me), helped her reframe how she views pitching and extra work. The attitude has been a night and day difference since then, and she makes a ton of progress when she's happy.

That’s awesome

May 18, 2019
What was the reframe advice?

Jan 26, 2024
Just measured my DD over hand velocity her highest three at 4’3” 83 pounds today was 47.2,48.3,51.2

Jan 25, 2022
What was the reframe advice?

It basically went like this...

Me - "I need you to talk to her. She's constantly griping about a game she says she loves."

DD laughs - "yeah. talk to me."

H.I. - "what's the problem?"

DD - "I love to play but I get tired of working extra for pitching. I hate working on pitching, but I know I need to. I hate pitching, except for in games."

H.I. - "Pitching is the most important job on the field. And it's the hardest job and it requires more work than anyone else."

DD - "Yeah, that's what he (me) says. I know all that, but I wish I didn't believe it so I could be lazy."

Me - "you literally spend 1 hour, three times a week, then you're in your bed sleeping or on tiktok, or painting."

DD looks at PI "Yeah I actually have it pretty easy."

H.I. - "Pitching is a privelege and not everyone has the opportunity or can afford lessons. Instead of 'I have to pitch' you should be saying 'I get to pitch.' "These will be some of the most fun times of your life. I miss playing every day. And I spent a lot of time working with my dad, and I cherish those times."

Me - "ya hear that? she cherishes her dad."

DD - "Yeah, he's pretty cool actually."

Complete attitude change, and more progress in the past three weeks than the past three months. Plus, I think she also knows her hitting instructor is gonna get updates every week. Since that conversation, last night is really the first time she's complained about working on her pitching, and it was minor. She also had a great session and left happy.
She never complains about going to hitting though. It's her girl time I guess.

Jan 26, 2024
It basically went like this...

Me - "I need you to talk to her. She's constantly griping about a game she says she loves."

DD laughs - "yeah. talk to me."

H.I. - "what's the problem?"

DD - "I love to play but I get tired of working extra for pitching. I hate working on pitching, but I know I need to. I hate pitching, except for in games."

H.I. - "Pitching is the most important job on the field. And it's the hardest job and it requires more work than anyone else."

DD - "Yeah, that's what he (me) says. I know all that, but I wish I didn't believe it so I could be lazy."

Me - "you literally spend 1 hour, three times a week, then you're in your bed sleeping or on tiktok, or painting."

DD looks at PI "Yeah I actually have it pretty easy."

H.I. - "Pitching is a privelege and not everyone has the opportunity or can afford lessons. Instead of 'I have to pitch' you should be saying 'I get to pitch.' "These will be some of the most fun times of your life. I miss playing every day. And I spent a lot of time working with my dad, and I cherish those times."

Me - "ya hear that? she cherishes her dad."

DD - "Yeah, he's pretty cool actually."

Complete attitude change, and more progress in the past three weeks than the past three months. Plus, I think she also knows her hitting instructor is gonna get updates every week. Since that conversation, last night is really the first time she's complained about working on her pitching, and it was minor. She also had a great session and left happy.
She never complains about going to hitting though. It's her girl time I guess.

Man that’s awesome, i hope she keeps the positivity up And continues on pushing herself to be everything she desires

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles