Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2018
Me: Why did you let that one go by?
DD: It wasn't a strike.
Me: What did the ump call it?
DD: Strike
Me: Then it was a strike.
DD: No it wasn't.
Me: You can't let strike 3 go by, especially in that situation. If it's close you gotta swing.
DD: I can't hit that pitch.
Me: You're right, you can't hit a pitch you don't swing at.
DD: Put's in ear buds and stares out the window.
I think... your dd might also be my dd. hmmmm

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Me: Why did you let that one go by?
DD: It wasn't a strike.
Me: What did the ump call it?
DD: Strike
Me: Then it was a strike.
DD: No it wasn't.
Me: You can't let strike 3 go by, especially in that situation. If it's close you gotta swing.
DD: I can't hit that pitch.
Me: You're right, you can't hit a pitch you don't swing at.
DD: Puts in ear buds and stares out the window.

Has anyone NOT had this exact conversation with their DD at some point?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Angles deceive. You must move up or back to get to pitches most of the time. A ‘hitters’ mentality is needed. Most likely the pitch is grazing the corner in front of the plate and could be a ball or two off/out when it gets to the glove. For drops and curves you must move forward in the box if it’s being called regularly and appears un-hittable. Work on posture also if low and away is the un-hittable pitch.

edit: yes the zone is bigger for lower levels. The umps try to level the playing field some of the time. A slower pitcher will get ‘more’ plate. A faster dominant one not as much.

In my observation, there are a lot of people who don't understand the value of moving up in the box.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
A ball and a half off the plate is hittable. The bat is 33 inches (sweet spot about 27 inches). Get on top of the plate! Umps rarely call a pitch that hits the batter a strike. I dont like it but a hitter to do? I have seen the better part of some teams set up with their elbow in the strike zone.

"A slower pitcher will get ‘more’ plate. A faster dominant one not as much."

^^^^^ See this all the time. Locks my jaws!

Oct 26, 2019
In my observation, there are a lot of people who don't understand the value of moving up in the box.
I am a big fan of moving closer or farther away to the plate to take away inside or outside on certain pitchers or in certain situations when you are trying to situationally hit. As far as moving up and back in the box - I want to see the ball for as long as possible so always stayed near the back of the box. I don’t see an advantage to seeing the ball for less time, especially in harder throwers. More time to make a decision is a good thing right?

Aug 6, 2013
I am a big fan of moving closer or farther away to the plate to take away inside or outside on certain pitchers or in certain situations when you are trying to situationally hit. As far as moving up and back in the box - I want to see the ball for as long as possible so always stayed near the back of the box. I don’t see an advantage to seeing the ball for less time, especially in harder throwers. More time to make a decision is a good thing right?
If a pitcher is throwing a lot of movement pitches they usually break right as they are hitting the plate - at least I'm pretty sure that's what they are hoping they do. As a hitter if you are making a decision that late to swing or not you have lost the battle - at least IMO. I tell my DD to move up in the box all the time - especially on pitchers who throw rise balls and movement pitches so she can make contact before any break starts to happen. I also tell her there isn't a pitcher yet who has blown one by her so she doesn't need to even think that's gonna happen. That being said she has incredibly fast hands and a fast bat (according to her blast) so she gets in there believing she can hit anything. I'm sure there is a pitcher who can blow one by her but she doesn't need to dwell on that, lol.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478