Another rant

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2009
“the axis of spin disrupts the airflow”

so how isn’t spin the primary factor in making the ball move - ??

Throw a ball up in the air and spin it. It does nothing. Most people do not understand the seams of the ball disrupt the airflow on a ball moving thru the air. Hence, "More involved" than just spin.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
OMG. It is the end of civilization.

I didn’t last a week there, anyone who goes on facebook or Midwest fastpitch and brings those fools to DFP should be waterboarded.

I deleted my personal twitter account last year. The Facebook softball pages fulfill my need to yell at strangers on the internet. That's all they're good for.

Dec 11, 2010
I deleted my personal twitter account last year. The Facebook softball pages fulfill my need to yell at strangers on the internet. That's all they're good for.
I must have accidentally done something right with Twitter!

It’s my happy place, apparently Twitter can be pretty negative but the algorithm must have figured out I like sunshine and rainbows.

The only delete I had to make was Richard. A lot of the jackassery seemed to have something to do with him.

I even follow a couple of political figures, of course I don’t read the comments so that helps I guess.

I can’t get enough of Super 70’s Sports. That guy is like sitting with a bunch of my high school buddies in our school lounge.

May 23, 2018
On Facebooks "The Fastpitch Zone" I started a massive argument just for fun. I innocently asked "Does the Riseball really rise? Asking for a friend, thanks" And the responses were just amazing to say the least. And yes, I did it to watch the replies from the experts who know everything about pitching. LOL. Comic relief on a Wednesday night and they're still arguing there. lol.

Today though I want to rant about one of the most difficult things I deal with in my instruction: believing success now means success later. It doesn't. Not even close. I'll site 2 examples of when it becomes the worst.

9/10 year old pitchers who can throw strikes 50% or more will probably strike out 12 or more per game. Why? Not because they are "so dominant" but because at that age a good number of girls at that age (and probably boys too, I'm not being sexist I just don't have experience with boy's baseball) are terrified of the ball and many are simply scared to swing. So, the pitcher racks up 12 or more K's per game and mom/dad are already booking flights to UCLA for a college visit. And lets be honest, a pitcher can do this, at this age, using hello elbow mechanics. H/E mechanics pretty much teach someone to throw the ball straight down the middle since the mechanics involved don't allow for proper movement. I'm not suggesting a 9 year old is throwing a riseball, but with practice it's not difficult for a kid to be able to throw strikes using any pitching form. And as I said, that's all it takes when so many young players don't want to swing, aren't even looking to swing the bat, and are afraid of being hit so they don't stay in the batters box. It's almost impossible to tell the parent of this pitcher that what they're seeing now is not how it will be in 2 short years. They won't believe you. And why would they? Their kid is dominant. Their pitching coach is a genius. Fast forward anywhere from 2-5 years later and the new pitching instructor has to get this kid to unlearn so much of what they've done in order to throw properly. Many of these pitchers don't overcome this and it's a shame. Some great athletes give up on pitching, after being a 9 year old phenom because too many H/E mechanics are too difficult for her to get rid of. It can also make the new coach look like a jerk when they have to explain to the pitcher and parents that we're going back to basics and starting from scratch. That's not what parents want to hear. Many are polite and they will thank you for your time, then never return. They'll look for a new H/E instructor that can save the day. And sadly that pitcher will never achieve her potential. But, as grandma would always say, "you can't save every puppy at the pound".

The second is the high schooler, already knowing where she's going for college. And lets use a great example of someone who's going to a Power 5 school. Lets even say this girl, just with natural ability can throw upper 60's. And by sheer velocity alone, she wins games. She's a High School superstar and pitches for a good travel team. How do you tell someone who's throwing 68 (legit 68, not the fabricated speed parents make up or the fabricated speed of ESPN radar guns) that she needs the ball to actually move at the next level? That's a hard sell. The best pitching coach in the world cannot teach someone to throw 70. A kid can either do it or they can't. As a coach you and insure that she's doing everything mechanically correct to get the most speed possible, but you can't teach 70 mph. Which is why so few actually throw that hard. But, trying to tell a kid and parent that throwing that hard without movement is great but, she could be even better with correct spins on the ball and actual ball movement. After all, they have legit arguments against that. They could point to Fouts, Garcia, or others who throw hard without correct spins that are at the height of college softball. And, the coach has to concede that point. Yes, those pitchers are at the top of the game without correct spin on the ball. But the LEGENDS of the game, such as Osterman takes a little less speed on her pitches but adds movement. Osterman could've probably thrown just as hard as Abbott, Garcia, Fouts, etc. but she figured out what all great pitchers do: speed is good, movement is better. She was the US team's #1 pitcher at 38 years old because of this pitching philosophy. But it's a nightmare, unwinnable fight to tell someone who's throwing 70 and winning at 17 yrs old that they could be even better.

For me it's the most frustrating thing I deal with as a coach: convincing a kid who's already winning that they still have things to improve on to be great.

Rant over.

Great post! Here is a sobering thought, 95% of all the 12u pitchers never pitch and inning at high school ball. When I found is of a team has two hitters 10u that can hit consistently they’re doing OK. At 12u You baby have four or five hitters that are consistent. At 14u it’s a whole different ball game. Nobody’s afraid of getting hit with the ball. You may have seven girls that consistently hit the ball.

I call it the big girl syndrome. At the younger ages they have nothing but a fastball and they’re able to get by on it because, let’s face it, everyone’s afraid of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 19, 2016
The fastpitch zone is nutty softball parent central. There is no reasoning with those people. The daily umpires suck vs umpires are saints because there is a shortage debate is nauseating enough.

In my opinion the rise ball only rises if the pitcher puts an upward trajectory on it....which is probably quite often. It never rises above the line of the original trajectory. What it does...when executed properly...is slow the natural decent due to spin. When you catch one you find yourself naturally moving your glove down anticipating the effect of gravity on the ball. With a good rise ball the catcher has to move their glove back up....or anticipate it properly... because the ball's spin resisted gravity a little longer than normal. So a rise ball flattens the curve.

As far as Cat Osterman is concerned I heard from a person that knew her well that she wasn't exactly focused on speed. That is not exactly her thing.

Aug 21, 2008
As far as Cat Osterman is concerned I heard from a person that knew her well that she wasn't exactly focused on speed. That is not exactly her thing.
Exactly. You made my point. The other half of my point was, had she wanted to, she had all the tools to throw the ball as hard as anyone. But, concentrating on throwing hard leads to over throwing. Over throwing leads to flat pitches. For many pitchers, myself included, throwing as hard as absolutely possible isn't as good as taking 10% off and creating much more movement.

May 23, 2018
The fastpitch zone is nutty softball parent central. There is no reasoning with those people. The daily umpires suck vs umpires are saints because there is a shortage debate is nauseating enough.

In my opinion the rise ball only rises if the pitcher puts an upward trajectory on it....which is probably quite often. It never rises above the line of the original trajectory. What it does...when executed properly...is slow the natural decent due to spin. When you catch one you find yourself naturally moving your glove down anticipating the effect of gravity on the ball. With a good rise ball the catcher has to move their glove back up....or anticipate it properly... because the ball's spin resisted gravity a little longer than normal. So a rise ball flattens the curve.

I would disagree. The rise ball does "hop" once you reach a certain rotation and speed. Having said that, you need approximately 4 times the rotation on the ball as opposed to a drop. I still see it done wrong even at the D1 level. I'm interested in what other pitching coaches have to say - is this the hardest pitch to teach, with respect to proper rotation on the ball and speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802