Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Where is this coming from. This is simply a topic of approach. You hear pros talk about approach a ton. Whether that is how to approach the nerves, fear, pitch count, pitcher tendencies etc. Etc.

If your a coach that jumps down your players throat for looking at strike 3. You can’t have an honest conversation about balls and strikes. You don’t development plate discipline. If you let them ‘play’ the game and guide them to the desired result, they will be open and honest and will try their best to not look at strike 3. They will learn the strike zone each and every game. Yes there will be some bumps and bruises along the way. Oh well. Accountability is apart of the game. Let them learn it. Yes I am a player development coach. I believe in learning the game. I don’t try to win at all costs. This is for 12u and above. Little kids need a bit more guidance.

reminds me when I coached 12u rec/AS I taught all my 12u girls to watch the ball once hit, and you make the decision to go to the next bag, if you get out, you’ll know next time how fast you really are and how much time you really have. The only time they were instructed to look at coach was when coming to third. On their own before then. Great base running team mid way through the season. Didn’t have to say much if anything at all.

It’s just a game. Let the kids learn to play it. That’s what make it fun for them and for me. They feel empowered and their game IQ sores. Im watching their little brains process stuff.. still tickles me when I think about.

Oct 2, 2017
If your a coach that jumps down your players throat for looking at strike 3. You can’t have an honest conversation about balls and strikes. You don’t development plate discipline. If you let them ‘play’ the game and guide them to the desired result, they will be open and honest and will try their best to not look at strike 3. They will learn the strike zone each and every game. Yes there will be some bumps and bruises along the way. Oh well. Accountability is apart of the game. Let them learn it. Yes I am a player development coach. I believe in learning the game. I don’t try to win at all costs. This is for 12u and above. Little kids need a bit more guidance.

reminds me when I coached 12u rec/AS I taught all my 12u girls to watch the ball once hit, and you make the decision to go to the next bag, if you get out, you’ll know next time how fast you really are and how much time you really have. The only time they were instructed to look at coach was when coming to third. On their own before then. Great base running team mid way through the season. Didn’t have to say much if anything at all.

It’s just a game. Let the kids learn to play it. That’s what make it fun for them and for me. They feel empowered and their game IQ sores. Im watching their little brains process stuff.. still tickles me when I think about.
Don't have any disagreements with that. I guess my mind wasn't going to dictator. I guess some coaches do that. But that's not the way I try and coach

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I am hoping/expecting for hitters to pick up on patterns. Simple patterns. Like, she has thrown FB/DB on the outside corner for strike 1 to every batter. She has not started inside once in 8 batters. For crying out loud, please look away and stroke one for a double into RC field. Am I expecting too much?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here's an example of the approach I've been talking about - 2 outs, 0-0 tie...

0K - Got a pitch she liked, but didn't square it up.
1K - Got beat with a low/out change up.
2K - Expanded her hitting zone, kept competing, and found a way to win the battle. Game-winning hit.

As I've said, this approach works for my DD. YMMV.

If the P had gone to that low/out CU again, Maddie probably would have lost this battle (IMO). She never threw that pitch more than once in an at bat.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Here's an example of the approach I've been talking about - 2 outs, 0-0 tie...

0K - Got a pitch she liked, but didn't square it up.
1K - Got beat with a low/out change up.
2K - Expanded her hitting zone, kept competing, and found a way to win the battle. Game-winning hit.

As I've said, this approach works for my DD. YMMV.

If the P had gone to that low/out CU again, Maddie probably would have lost this battle (IMO). She never threw that pitch more than once in an at bat.

ok so what you’re saying is she expanded her zone, and if the pitcher woulda thrown her another change up low, she woulda lost the AB right? Iyo correct? Bc she was trying to cover anything near the zone? Expanding it right? What am I missing?

Jun 8, 2016
ok so what you’re saying is she expanded her zone, and if the pitcher woulda thrown her another change up low, she woulda lost the AB right? Iyo correct? Bc she was trying to cover anything near the zone? Expanding it right? What am I missing?
He said “expanded her zone” eg no longer would have only swung at something in her “hot zone”. Low outside CU would have beat her because if it’s a strike it is a tough pitch to hit..

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal

I think approach for a top D1 hitter is going to differ from a 14u player. Facing the best pitchers throwing 65 plus some/ most hitters are going to have to guess some.
DD rarely Ks.
She struck out looking recently. It wasn't a strike but she should have swung. The ump had been giving the pitcher literally 2 balls off the plate all day. Its her job to know that and deal with it as part of her approach. Its not OK to K looking and blame the ump especially if he has been consistent.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
He said “expanded her zone” eg no longer would have only swung at something in her “hot zone”. Low outside CU would have beat her because if it’s a strike it is a tough pitch to hit..

Lol. ok she did that w one strike as well? Or is a change up low HER ‘hot’ zone? Looks to be the approach the entire AB. She was looking up down in and out slow and fast. It didn’t matter the count. Usually you cut the zone in half, mostly by looking ‘down’.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG