Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I like talking mechanics as much as the next guy no matter their philosophy, but what about approach. Come game time, mechanics ride shotgun to approach, hopefully the practice put in for grooving a swing sticks. At least IMO

Now here is a approach :ROFLMAO:

So what age do you start teaching Approach. Such as 2 strikes etc.? What are some concepts you teach?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I sound stupid but hit the ball hard, things will go well for you.

Pay attention to previous batters against P. What does ump call and not call?

DD was going to the throw as few strikes as possible. Batter needs to lay off those.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
Hoping aint hitting. If your technique sucks, you can't bluff your way to success.

'Hit the ball hard' is good.

Most of the other 'approaches' to me are losers/weak. 2 strike, other way, all that - they are the opposite of 'hit the ball hard'. Most trying to hit the other way, lag/slow the bat head.

Maybe the 'look for the FB/curve/etc' will work in certain cases.

On a similar note, most non-MLB hitters don't pay attention to what happened in previous at bats with this pitcher. This is vital to success. Many, many times my pitcher son would walk a batter on 4 straight balls, and the next batter would hit the first pitch (out of the zone) into a double play. It was like watching Wile E Coyote.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Understanding your zone is important. Generally swinging at a pitch in the river (which is generally not in anybodies "zone"..in particular away) with no strikes is not a smart move..

To answer the original question, I would say 14's is a good time to get kids to at least understand
that sort of thing.

Oct 2, 2017
Thanks for reply's. I think its tough to teach it other than at higher levels. For there is no scouting report LOL. Showing certain tendencies. They face some of the same pitchers over and over, but generally not enough to know certain tendencies.

I think we could teach to maybe know your strengths in your zone and look for those pitches to drive hard. Don't miss those when you get them. Also maybe recognize where the Ump is calling. How big is the zone. That can vary wildly with younger ages. I think it might be tough also at least at my DD's age, because pitchers are just starting to somewhat place pitches consistently where they want. Your are certainly looking to drive it hard. I have told my DD that you are trying to do damage every time.

I like the 14 age. I think it is probably a good place.

Feb 14, 2019
I like talking mechanics as much as the next guy no matter their philosophy, but what about approach. Come game time, mechanics ride shotgun to approach, hopefully the practice put in for grooving a swing sticks. At least IMO

Now here is a approach :ROFLMAO:

So what age do you start teaching Approach. Such as 2 strikes etc.? What are some concepts you teach?

I think you should start talking approach as soon as they start facing live pitching, but tailor it age appropriately. Start small, like reminding your girls to pay attention to the opposing pitcher during warm ups (how's her speed? control? does she have a change up she can throw consistently?, etc). Crowd the plate a little with 2 strikes, but still try to hit the ball with authority...Most 10u/12u pitchers are going to at least try to work outside on you (whether or not the pitcher can hit that spot is another story) so take that away. Start explaining to them situational awareness things in very broad terms, but be prepared to repeat yourself over and over, lol. They'll have to hear those kind of things A LOT before it sinks in and they start thinking about them on their own.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD's TB coaches started teaching an approach in 10U, and pushed it harder in 12U...

0K count - Look for a pitch in your favorite spot (you need to know where that is first). If that pitch shows up, hit the hell out of it.
1K count - Expand your zone (full K-zone), and hit it hard.
2K count - Expand the zone even more, be aggressive, and put the ball in play as hard as you can. If you foul one off, that's fine. Don't look at 3K!

This general philosophy has continued to work for my DD, who is in her final year of TB. She's a dangerous 2K hitter, and is pretty good at fouling off borderline pitches, forcing the P to put it in the zone.

Jun 11, 2013
I agree with Eric with one exception. With no strikes I would prefer to guess pitch type and location based on how the game is going. If you get what you guessed go ahead and hammer it. You might want a middle in fastball, but for a lot of hitters you will never get one. Work on hitting the pitches they continue to throw to you and be ready for it.

My other thing is don't swing at crap. If it's a bad pitch don't swing at it. While it's awful to get called out on a bad pitch it's better than swinging at them all the time.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes, yes, yes etc.. smart-aggressive. See it. Believe. For little kids. Older kids. Up the middle, gap to gap. Basically stay short. See it. Confidence. If the pitcher is really good, we will key in on a certain quadrant of the zone she is hammering.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree with Eric with one exception. With no strikes I would prefer to guess pitch type and location based on how the game is going. If you get what you guessed go ahead and hammer it. You might want a middle in fastball, but for a lot of hitters you will never get one. Work on hitting the pitches they continue to throw to you and be ready for it.

My other thing is don't swing at crap. If it's a bad pitch don't swing at it. While it's awful to get called out on a bad pitch it's better than swinging at them all the time.

I definitely agree with refinements as they develop. That said, I still don't like anyone watching 3K.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22