Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
I see.

My response is “Intrinsic Motivation”

Intrinsic motivation is defined as the doing of an activity for its inherent satisfaction rather than for some separable consequence. When intrinsically motivated, a person is moved to act for the fun or challenge entailed rather than because of external products, pressures, or rewards.

I got bad news for you bro. Your most successful players are probably the players that are the best at tuning you out, are able to compete in a state of mindful focus, AND who are intrinsically motivated.

Most successful people/players are successful in spite of their mangers/coaches, not because of them.

Some manages/coaches inspire success but the odds are really, really against that.

If I have the choice of betting on me vs. betting on my boss, I’ll pick me every time. I won the equivalent of a national championship in my profession by betting on me, not my beancounter bosses. They retired and were forgotten. I’m still winning. I pick needles out of haystacks constantly because of mindfulness and intrinsic satisfaction, not because some ham handed buffoon manager telling me it’s my job and I should be grateful for a big paycheck.

(A variation of the parent brag forum, lol)

So yeah. I never played, so I’ll shut up now.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Where did I advocate that an approach should be to hit a HR? It turns out that strong girls with good mechanics hit the ball hard, and sometimes it goes over the fence.

It must be awesome to have a kid who never gets fooled and never miss-hits anything. I wish I was you.

I really get perturbed when folks don’t know what they say. It’s like you make the stuff up as you go. At this point you want to win a discussion. I get it and I don’t. This thread is to help others find a good approach that will produce consistent results.

you first mentioned in this thread Maddies approach was ‘damage’. All the time! ‘Put the ball in play as HARD as you can w 2 strikes!’ What does that mean?? Rhetorical question Eric! That’s what she did in the vid you posted. Didn’t matter her count or situation or pitch location! At the 18 gold travel and college level that is frowned upon and doesn’t work out very often if at all. Winning teams don’t play that way. Does Alo ever take wild hacks in a crucial situation? How about Mookie?

works out ok when the pitching isn’t top notch.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I see.

My response is “Intrinsic Motivation”

Intrinsic motivation is defined as the doing of an activity for its inherent satisfaction rather than for some separable consequence. When intrinsically motivated, a person is moved to act for the fun or challenge entailed rather than because of external products, pressures, or rewards.

I got bad news for you bro. Your most successful players are probably the players that are the best at tuning you out AND who are intrinsically motivated.

Most successful people/players are successful in spite of their mangers/coaches, not because of them.

Some manages/coaches inspire success but the odds are really, really against that.

If I have the choice of betting on me vs. betting on my boss, I’ll pick me every time. I won the equivalent of a national championship in my profession by betting on me, not my beancounter bosses. They retired and were forgotten. I’m still winning. I pick needles out of haystacks constantly because of mindfulness and intrinsic satisfaction, not because some ham handed buffoon manager telling me it’s my job and I should be grateful for a big paycheck.

(A variation of the parent brag forum, lol)

So yeah. I never played, so I’ll shut up now.

there’s some truth to this. My job as a coach is to inspire and help them stay outta there own way. And also not getting in the way. Puffing out your chest does nothing in softball! LOL. It’s not football BRO! A different discipline. Ever heard a player say ‘ I went up there and owned that pitcher’ ‘did you see me?’ ‘Naw it’s usually ‘I got what I expected or I got something I could handle’.’hitting is much harder than most things and should be treated as such. Never heard a player not say ‘ without so and so in my corner or this change me and coach made’ ‘or the WORK I put in, I wouldn’t have gotten here’..

I’ll stop now, can you also stop? You apparently don’t know what you’re talking about BRO! LMAO!

Dec 11, 2010
Come back to this in a week or two and read it again.

It will be easier to ignore me ribbing you when you don’t have to respond to it.

Its tough love, Bro.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
W=W

You know when someone doesn’t know what they are talking about? When they get defensive.

You are 100% defensive. Everyone else in this thread is sharing, except for you.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
W=W

You know when someone doesn’t know what they are talking about? When they get defensive.

You are 100% defensive. Everyone else in this thread is sharing, except for you.

Oh like Eric did 4 pages ago? Or how WW did before me? LOL. Thanks Shawn. Read and comprehend bud.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Come back to this in a week or two and read it again.

It will be easier to ignore me ribbing you about a being a meathead when you don’t have to respond to it.

Its tough love, Bro.

Im not a meathead. It’s called being an athlete. A smart responsible one. Especially on a team. Not a barbarian. Expanding the zone is nonsense.

its ok you guys try to help a friend out. I get it. No hard feelings. Come to his aid.. but when his point is wrong, the facts come out. I’m all in on that. It’s the only reason I stick around here. I’m looking for that to readjust itself soon. Once it’s out and folks know I will disappear.

no hard feelings to anyone. I like to jab back as well, just know I jab as hard as I need to. 🙂

Jun 8, 2016
Im not a meathead. It’s called being an athlete. A smart responsible one. Especially on a team. Not a barbarian. Expanding the zone is nonsense.

its ok you guys try to help a friend out. I get it. No hard feelings. Come to his aid.. but when his point is wrong, the facts come out. I’m all in on that. It’s the only reason I stick around here. I’m looking for that to readjust itself soon. Once it’s out and folks know I will disappear.

no hard feelings to anyone. I like to jab back as well, just know I jab as hard as I need to. 🙂
I thought I was the reason?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee