Hitting Approach - Mental

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I would add to this thread that when coaches call pitches, they have patterns. I used to chart pitches so that I could get a better idea of how the opposing coach thought. In that way, I could understand what to practice for the next time we played a team. My players could practice their plan. My dd learned this. Last night, she coached in a game where the first 14 hitters of hers all took a strike on the outside of the plate. After about 6, she went to her team and asked them if they noticed the pattern. Apparently, they didn't adjust. LOL She was a little frustrated after that but her team won. One of her comments was that if she knew that a pitcher was going outside on a first pitch with something hard but over the white of the plate, she'd have a career day. Which is probably true. ;)

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The 3rd or 4th batter should have a double in the gap. Team has to make pitcher/coach go to plan B asap.
Some players watch and get it, many don't or can't. Some are too busy doing tiktok in the dugout.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I'm a big fan of physical routines to trigger a particular mentality. It's something I've talked about with my DD for years, and she continues to implement, even during BP sessions.

As for pitch selection, my DD taking over pitch-calling on her TB and HS teams has helped her understand strategies, and have a little bit more of an educated guess about what might be thrown to her next.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
One of my hitters had a terrible game. She was driving the ball foul and then looked silly on changeups for strikeouts. This is so rare for this hitter. I had a conversation about her at-bats trying to help her realize what transpired in that game. I didn't expect the response she gave. Instead of saying that she struck out on changeups, she said that she got embarrassed in front of her teammates. I asked her what she meant by that and she said that she was embarrassed to go back into the dugout. I went through what we coach for her mental approach. She said that I didn't understand because I was a guy. I asked why I would not understand. She said that guys don't get embarrassed the way that she did.

In short, this player experienced a moment that sidetracked what she had done her entire softball career. Why? I really don't know. We are going to address this and stress that the reason we have a routine is to prevent this BUT we also have coached an approach that should make her mentally stronger. Heck, we have all had this moment in sports. Mine was a brain fart in basketball where I let my anger get the best of me and I was thrown off of my HS team. While I do regret it, I regret more that I embarrassed my coach and team.

When we talk about the mental approach, we have to understand that the same rule of two steps forward and one step back applies.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Some players have a natural mental approach. GAMERS. Some players can grasp the concept and apply it with relative ease. Some think it all a bunch of bullshot.(usually their parents think the same too). Other players simply can not turn off their thinking and their mind racing.
It takes work and practice to shut off thoughts and emotions. All serious players should practice deep breathing and visualization before game time. Good time is in the car(not if you're driving). Turn off the radio. Close your eyes. Breathe. See greatness. Imagine your walk from on deck and stepping in the box. See different pitch locations, hitting gappers. Fielding backhand and making perfect throws etc.(8 to 10 minutes)End session with 2 or 3 deep breaths.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802