Approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
yeah most wouldn’t know that didn’t play ball. If you’ve been in the box, w people watching, teammates depending on you, the weight of the world on your shoulders.. you woulda known right away what I meant.
I often read threads backwards. I really liked post #41.

Then I got to this one. It earned a Mega Eye Roll. As I read it, Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days” started to auto play in my head.

(Which sucks because other than Rosalita or Tenth Avenue Freezeout I never need to hear a Springsteen song again if I live to be 100.)

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I often read threads backwards. I really liked post #41.

Then I got to this one. It earned a Mega Eye Roll. As I read it, Bruce Springsteen’s “Glory Days” started to auto play in my head.

(Which sucks because other than Rosalita or Tenth Avenue Freezeout I never need to hear a Springsteen song again if I live to be 100.)

cant please everyone. Just speaking from my own mental experiences. Or my players/dds. The agony of defeat looms everywhere. The ones who can block it out succeed more than the ones who don’t. Ever seen a successful pro that was negative?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
That's my line...you didn't ask permission to use it.

That said you previously mentioned her underlying mechanics, which you appear to have some issue with, so perhaps you are confusing approach and mechanics here ;) I agree (and Eric would as well probably) that swinging at a low and outside CU with less than 2 strikes is typically not a good approach. I don't know what the situation was exactly, but it looks like the IF was playing in so it must have been late so in that situation if you are looking at approach you typically want to get a pitch you can get in the air to the OF (kid doesn't look like a strikeout pitcher so the pitch selection is a bit odd to me based upon what I just said..or maybe she just could locate..anyway) The other results you may not like but that may be more a function of what you don't like about her mechanics vs her "approach".

I said it could be approach driven as well. Swinging for the fences creates long swings. Pretty common knowledge P.

edit: not gonna lie: I wanted to sneak some mechanics ‘talk’ in there. You know it’s my favorite subject. 😆

Dec 11, 2010
cant please everyone. Just speaking from my own mental experiences. Or my players/dds. The agony of defeat looms everywhere. The ones who can block it out succeed more than the ones who don’t. Ever seen a successful pro that was negative?
I do agree.

You don’t have to have played a diamond sport to know that though.

Tiger Woods in his prime could not have cared less who was on the course with him.

Good approach has something to do with “mindfulness”. Being “in the moment”. Without mindfulness, “get a good pitch to hit and put a good swing on it” is impossible. “Seeing the ball” well is impossible. And none of that is “work” and it is especially not “doing your job” at the plate.

Copied and pasted:

Being in the present moment, or the “here and now,” means that we are aware and mindful of what is happening at this very moment. We are not distracted by ruminations on the past or worries about the future, but centered in the here and now. All of our attention is focused on the present moment (Thum, 2008).

As author Myrko Thum tells it, the present moment is all there truly is:

“The present moment is the only thing where there is no time. It is the point between past and future. It is always there and it is the only point we can access in time. Everything that happens, happens in the present moment. Everything that ever happened and will ever happen can only happen in the present moment. It is impossible for anything to exist outside of it.”
Tiger knew all this and so did Crystl Bustos, even if they couldn’t explain it out loud.

Follow me for more tips on eastern philosophy, lol

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Game is on the line and you’re swinging for the fences? You don’t see anything wrong w that? If you don’t our discussion is over. Hope everything works out for her.

I’ve already posted what I teach. I don’t teach pulling the first and third pitch down the line swinging outta my shoes. I don’t teach swinging at a change up in the dirt wo having to. I eliminate half the zone and stay up the middle. The swing stays short.

keep in mind this is an ‘approach’ thread, not the ‘brag’ section.
Where did I advocate that an approach should be to hit a HR? It turns out that strong girls with good mechanics hit the ball hard, and sometimes it goes over the fence.

It must be awesome to have a kid who never gets fooled and never miss-hits anything. I wish I was you.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I do agree.

You don’t have to have played a diamond sport to know that though.

Tiger Woods in his prime could not have cared less who was on the course with him.

Good approach has something to do with “mindfulness”. Being “in the moment”. Without mindfulness, “get a good pitch to hit and put a good swing on it” is impossible. “Seeing the ball” well is impossible. And none of that is “work” and it is especially not “doing your job” at the plate.

Being in the present moment, or the “here and now,” means that we are aware and mindful of what is happening at this very moment. We are not distracted by ruminations on the past or worries about the future, but centered in the here and now. All of our attention is focused on the present moment (Thum, 2008).

As author Myrko Thum tells it, the present moment is all there truly is:

Tiger knew all this and so did Crystl Bustos, even if they couldn’t explain it out loud.

Follow me for more tips on eastern philosophy, lol

the being mindful part is work. Mental work. Let’s not try to one up folks. It’s not productive. When I coach everything is perceived as ‘work’ work to warm up correctly, work to be a good team mate, work to stay positive, work to execute. It’s hard to get your game clicking on all cylinders most of the time. When something is tough, accomplishing the task is considered ‘work’. After going 0-3 w 2Ks will you have to muster up some confident vibes to compete late in the game? I considered that work. Or do we buy it from the snack bar?

not one player of mine ever misinterpreted what that means. It’s pretty self explanatory if you have played a sport w pressure involved.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06