The Mercy Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It's just an interesting word and an action to it that ends the game.
That a player would say did you win or lose and they say we got mercied. Depending on how people take that it can be worse than just losing. Even though it's called Mercy it's definitely got a little more dismay in it.

May not be merciful to actually call it a mercy rule. Because it adds another connotation to just losing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Do believe there are people who want to keep on trying despite hardship.

Even at some point playing an extremely better team it's nice to be able to at least score one run against them. Also think it gives coaches an opportunity to completely mix up their strategy and try something new just to see if they can figure out how to do a little better in a hard situation.

Definitely do not think everybody reacts the same to getting their teeth kicked in. Definitely know people who do not give up!!!
Thankfully!!!

Recently a team playing UCLA got mercied think it was 17-1. The one run the other team got was a homerun. While it may not have made much of a difference in the outcome of the game it can make a mental difference in the ability to at least know it could happen.

Sometimes you're just outmatched. For example, my DD's HS team has 3 TB players (2 are freshmen), most of the rest of the team are former rec or HS-only players, one has never played the game before. The top 2 teams in the league have full rosters of good TB players, including some that will be playing top-20 D1 ball next year. The #1 team beat my DD's team 22-2...and they took it easy. No amount of "never give up" or additional innings is going to change the outcome. They took small joy in the fact that their cross-town rival lost by more.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
That a player would say did you win or lose and they say we got mercied. Depending on how people take that it can be worse than just losing. Even though it's called Mercy it's definitely got a little more dismay in it.

May not be merciful to actually call it a mercy rule. Because it adds another connotation to just losing.
Yeah well I am bald (or balding at least), I can tell somebody I am hair deficient but if they see me they will still know I am bald (balding..)...

Oct 14, 2019

Really never hear that term. Everyone just calls it the run rule. In most other sports, offense and defense gets switched on each score. In softball, I’ve seen games where one team could be on offense for well over half the game if they didn’t step off.

Jun 8, 2016
Really never hear that term. Everyone just calls it the run rule. In most other sports, offense and defense gets switched on each score. In softball, I’ve seen games where one team could be on offense for well over half the game if they didn’t step off.
Good point. I haven't heard the OU announcers say anything about Mercy rule the whole year..they just use the phrase run-rule (and they have had plenty of opportunities..)

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

Yep..."We got run-ruled." Yes, it's another level below just losing.

Sep 7, 2020
Thinking about the title of saying that ...Mercy...
That conversation goes
Q~ How did your team do?
A~ The other team stop playing us because we couldn't score enough.
So they showed Mercy.

Is that really what a team that's losing wants? Mercy...?!

Maybe they want to keep trying?!!!
Especially when games have a game time anyway why not play it out?!
Should the mercy rule be an option for the team that's losing?

What do you think?
GO DFP
We do not call it mercy on the team my DD is on now. They have Run-ruled a couple teams - not sure if that makes them Feel any better but, semantics....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
What about the pitcher on these teams with less ability? Would you have them stay out there knowing that the team is being embarrassed and that she can't get an out? The Mercy Rule is just fine.

In HS ball last fall, we were playing a team that was overmatched but in the conference. The coach came over and asked that we simply stop the game. The umpire said that my team had the winning run on 3rd and that the game will end when that run crossed the plate. The coach took her team off of the field saying that she was not going to allow her team to be embarrassed. We had stepped off the base each inning to prevent a slaughter. Would you have this team stay out there?

Jun 8, 2016
9 out of 10 times a “Mercy Rule” game is not a surprise..for either team involved.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yet there are times when a team pulls greatly ahead but it just because of a disaster inning of errors on one team's behalf.
Say if specifically paying for playing three friendly games and you just get an hour and 20 minutes per game wouldn't it be preferable to finish out at least that time.

Why would the score matter when it's only a short game anyway...not for tournament.
A lot of times people are only playing friendlies to get playing time in for everybody?! Not always playing to win so to speak.

Perhaps this is just in consideration that that rule may not necessarily need to apply at Friendly's?! Most probably wouldn't matter because they don't reach five innings in those games a lot of times anyway

Just a thought not a statement

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck