Should they change the mercy rule in college softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Profound!

Also in bb players get accustomed to seeing the ball being thrown over hand on the field. Tracking an overhand pitch from an overhand throw would be similar to just playing catch.

Not so in fastpitch.

Fastpitch Batters have to learn tracking a pitch from an underhand throwing mechanic which in itself takes another skill set.
Not sure how this turned into a "it is harder to hit in fastpitch than baseball" thread..College softball is a lot closer to the highest level of play in the sport than college baseball is. The best college baseball teams would be lucky to win 20 games in a MLB season.

Jun 8, 2016
Thank you for making that point now,
cuz I didn't.
Didn't say it was easier
said it is a different skill set.

Visual and timing.
Lol..ok Rad. You were saying that baseball hitters are used to tracking overhand pitches whereas softball players don't get that advantage..sounds to me like you were making that point but whatever. NPF had a player hit .500 a few years ago..the last player to hit .400 in MLB has had his head frozen for over 10 years..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Lol..ok Rad. You were saying that baseball hitters are used to tracking overhand pitches whereas softball players don't get that advantage..sounds to me like you were making that point but whatever.
@Orange sock comment appears it's easier to be a pitcher in baseball...
Sooooo theres that 😁

Mr. Attar I bring up that point because it's something that people may not consider as a technical skill set that hitters in softball need to learn that is additional to fastpitch.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
It is easier to pitch for sure, not sure it is much easier to be a good pitcher.
Do you think baseball should have a mercy rule? Or just bring in a stack more of pitchers LOL

Jun 8, 2016
Do you think baseball should have a mercy rule? Or just bring in a stack more of pitchers LOL
What do you think...I will say the opposite :p

In truth all of these rules don't really effect me when I watch games, softball or baseball, so I don't really care one way or the other.

Jun 8, 2016
Well we agree there!
The only thing that really effects me from a "wth that ain't right" perspective isn't even a rule, e.g. the shifting in baseball. It just messes with what I expect to see after watching baseball for 40+ years. My brain tells me line drives back through the box should be a hit...lol.

Apr 1, 2017
The only thing that really effects me from a "wth that ain't right" perspective isn't even a rule, e.g. the shifting in baseball. It just messes with what I expect to see after watching baseball for 40+ years. My brain tells me line drives back through the box should be a hit...lol.
That's the one that drives me crazy too. Line drive that almost decapitates the pitcher and the SS is standing right behind 2B for a "routine" out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00