The Run Rule – and the Golden Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
If you were beating your little brother at cards and wanted him to have a shot or learn the game; would you let him know you were letting him win or disguise it in some other way?
I understand your point that "NOBODY" is getting anything out of a game like that" and concur ... IF it is allowed to go on as is ... But who gets anything out of it by someone by stepping off ? This is a game played outdoors in all sorts of weather, if conditions are unsafe to play there are other methods of ending a game ... For the winning team to be able to "save" their pitching or because the coaches are unable to keep their players focused are unusual arguments at best, but OK ... What I am saying is that there are other ways to speed up the game and the article in the OP mentions several of them ... Many of the other methods do not stick it in the face of the team on the losing end ... These athletes deserve a chance at learning sportsmanship and getting better, especially given the fact that we are supposed to be out there for them.
One thing that I have done that is not mentioned ... I always let my athletes switch hit in practice for fun ... It builds confidence plus if a game gets out of hand, I tell them its time to use their new talent ... They've already done it in practice so they don't look like a duck out of water and in most cases the other team has no idea this kid is not a switch hitter ... Sometimes it surprises their parents as well - LOL ... Another thing, I try to find something to work on that can hopefully benefit both teams ... On one occasion a couple years back it was a suicide squeeze play ... My gals just couldn't GET IT no matter how often we worked on it in practice ... I had already had them running station to station, no extra bases, no steals etc ... With initiating the suicide squeeze that they were yet unable to execute correctly, everyone learned something and the game ended just as quickly.

Playing your little brother: That isn't what is happening. It isn't your job to teach the other team or to let them win. I get what you are saying, but it is a flawed analogy. We aren't talking about a sibling who doesn't understand what is actually happening. I'm saying if you know the game is going to be like that, don't go in guns-a-blazing with your A-squad at the start. Give them the day off. No, I don't think you can technically schedule a varsity vs. JV game, but you can play the players.

I wasn't saying saving pitching or lack of focus are reasons to kill a game ... I'm saying they are signs that there are bigger issues afoot that may need addressed. I agree that games like these can be learning experiences, but they frequently are not and more damage is being done.

For almost every one of these strategies, there is a down side. Who gets anything out of stepping off? I agree there is not a positive benefit for anybody (except pitchers, which is more important in baseball with pitch counts), but it limits the negative repercussions.

You see running station-to-station as a way to hold up your players and slow down the game. I see this as more damaging to the down-players. While you are telling them "YOU need to get outs" you are taking away opportunities to do so and reinforcing that my already bad catcher no longer needs to provide any effort. She is now just going to drop her mask, lollygag back to the backstop, toss the ball underhand towards (not to) the pitcher, and pout her way back to pick up her mask. I know you can't fix that, but you are promoting it.

I do like the switch hitting strategy IF it is something that you have been working on in practice, even if only a little. My concern if you haven't been working on it is that you are essentially horsing around and are going to get one of your players hurt. Like you said, the learning aspect is the key. The player needs to know "I am working on this, not playing around."

Bunting every at bat is something I have seen but rarely have I seen it work to level out the game. If they haven't gotten an out after the first few, it is evident that they aren't going to on the next ten. It turns into the same thing I mentioned with the catcher ... F5 just walks up to the ball, picks it up, and flicks it to the pitcher.

Maybe that is the breaking point ... when it is obvious the players no longer care and are no longer trying, the game needs to be ended before somebody gets hurt.

To the point I bolded in red, I think you have something. There isn't a simple answer, just what opinion you have. As we were leaving the snow-and-snot-fest yesterday, a parent walking out near us made a pretty good suggestion: if it is like this after 2 or 3 innings, kill the game. Start fresh and play another couple of innings. Not saying wipe out the game, but go ahead and end it for the record and then allow the players to reset, the coaches to readjust their lineups, and then play some innings that might actually provide some valuable reps. That's not a bad idea, IMO.

I'm not saying any of these things are ALL the time, just sharing observations from my lifetime of experience.

May 29, 2015
Why the score ... or why do we have such thing as a 12u national team? I'm leaning on that last one.

EDIT: In May, they beat Venezuela 25-24 and then squeaked by them a second time, 29-28.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Why the score ... or why do we have such thing as a 12u national team? I'm leaning on that last one.

EDIT: In May, they beat Venezuela 25-24 and then squeaked by them a second time, 29-28.
I saw a highlight of a kid with the last name Glaus hitting a HR. Wonder if that’s Troy’s kid

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812